AVS Forum banner

5401 - 5412 of 5412 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Tried again, running a measurement report right now. Hopefully better? What is the best verification method? Just the regular 'Extended Testchart' ones?

Attachments

·
Registered
854 Posts
What is the best verification method? Just the regular 'Extended Testchart' ones?
Go for - at least - the "XXL verification testchart (video)". It has 755 patches, takes about 20 minutes with an id3pro, and will produce more points for gamma.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I tried out the "Black Level" feature (on Calibration tab) for the first time with an LG WOLED (see the attached settings) to be able to utilize the "Black Output Offset" option on 3dlut tab later.
Once profiling is finished, I unchecked the "Create 3dlut after profiling" option to be able to try out different cases (e.g. 99%, 95%, etc), but the "Black Output Offset" option vanishes with this setup (only Custom and Gamma 2.4 remains).
The problem with this is that if I want to try out different cases then I have to go through the whole profiling process again and again.

@fhoech , is it a bug or does it supposed to work this way, if so, why?
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Guyz,
i have a few questions about my KS7000 Quantum Dot TV (US KS8000) calibration with DisplayCAL and madTPG. A want to create a 3DLUT for madVR, SDR and HDR. Can you please give me some guidance? I use Display Pro Plus for calibration. The goal is for watching movies in dark room.
Thank you! 🙂

My Settings:
SDR:
1.Display and Instument:
Which one should I choose?
Mode: LCD (generic), Correction: None — VS. —
Mode: Refresh (generic), Correction: LCD Quantum Dot LED (Samsung QLED Q9)
View attachment 3056802
— VS. —
View attachment 3056803

Profiling, 3DLUT: Are they ok?
View attachment 3056805
View attachment 3056806

HDR:
Here i just have to watch the 3D LUT tab, right?
View attachment 3056808

- How can I set or measure my "Target peak luminance"?

- Color Sapce: which one?
Rec. 2020,
DCI P3 D65,
Rec. 709

- Other settings?

madTPG for HDR:
View attachment 3056809

I only hit the button HDR, and go? Is it ok?

Thx! :)
Arpi

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Hi!

If I use passthrough HDR to display option I need to enable send hdr metadata to display to?
If you want your display to switch into HDR mode, yes.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Yes I want.

But if I don't check to send hdr metadata than what is the purpose the passthrough HDR to display on its own?
Funny you say that, because that is exactly what I argued in the madVR thread in the HTPC section the other day. I don't see how that could ever be useful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hello everyone, I have a problem, I'm trying to create a 3dlut dci-p3 with displaycal + madvr before the calibration I have a gamut close to the dci after I have a gamut in rec709 and also the saturations where am I wrong?
thanks.
the settings in displaycal are:
source colorspace: dci-p3 / always 431-2 d65
Tone curve: range 2.2
Range: 2.2
Relative
Black output offset: 100%
rendering intent: relative colorimetric
3dlut file format: madvr (.3dlut)
Input enconding: 16-235 rgb TV

·
Registered
312 Posts
Question: Can the SpyderX create quality LUTs for HDR to SDR tone mapping when measuring projectors?

Context: I've used my SpyderX with DisplayCal to create HDR to SDR LUTs for my LCD monitors with great results. I've also used it to calibrate my monitors to a decent white balance at 6500k. I don't have a good way to verify my results because I don't have a second meter, but the results look very accurately white to my eyes. TFT central confirms that the SpyderX color accuracy is good when calibrating color on LCD monitors.

However, it is well known over on the JVC NX Projector thread that the SpyderX must be used only for Gamma calibration on the NX projectors and not for color calibration. My own testing confirms that result. The SpyderX seems to have trouble reading Red off the projector screen accurately, which causes Autocal to drop Green and Blue (and overall brightness) way too much to try and compensate. When I try to calibrate the projector color using DisplayCal, the color measurements vary greatly depending on the angle and distance from the screen. The angle is also important when measuring LCD screens using the SpyderX, but of course you just lay it flat on the screen and it seems to get an accurate measurement that way. Not possible with a projector (except maybe a rear projection screen. I would be curious to know if anybody has tried that).

Given the context, and considering that LUTs are meant to map gamuts to one another or tone map HDR to SDR, can the SpyderX be trusted to create a quality LUT for a projector? Has anybody managed to create a quality LUT for a projector using the SpyderX or do most people use the X-rite i1 Pro2 instead? I gave it a try and I'm just not quite sure if the results are what I should expect.

5401 - 5412 of 5412 Posts