AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Eyes and Ears Thriller
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm think I have some setting wrong because it appears my 4K is being downscaled to 1080p and my entire setup is 4K. In stats I'm seeing: 0,0,3840,2160 -> 0,0,1920,1080. What settings do I need to have in place to assure that my 4K HDR MKVs actually play in 4K and aren't being downscaled to 1080p?

·
Registered
745 Posts
I'm think I have some setting wrong because it appears my 4K is being downscaled to 1080p and my entire setup is 4K. In stats I'm seeing: 0,0,3840,2160 -> 0,0,1920,1080. What settings do I need to have in place to assure that my 4K HDR MKVs actually play in 4K and aren't being downscaled to 1080p?
I have the VLP VW365ES Sony which I think is similar to yours in most ways. It up-scales so well that dvd's on my 1119 diagonal screen are almost as good as 4k blu ray at my 15 ft viewing distance but just lack the HDR feature. I have the same Oppo player as you. Check setup on the Oppo when it turns on. NO disk is needed to do this. It does have several selections under setup menu/video output setup. Select the "output resolutin then select source direct. Mine is set for source direct, not Custom resolution. If set to custom and the custom resolution is set to 1080p auto it is downconverting so tiiot will play on a non 4k device. If you have source direct it will use whatever the disk has on it for the shown resolution. Maybe your Oppo is in 1080P auto under custom resolution? If so it plays the 4k disk in 1080p if the prior output resolution is set to custom. Go into setup then go down to video output setup then resouluton and pick source direct. You probably have it set at custom and custom set to play in 1080p. The setting on the custom resolution at 1080p can be ignored isf you have the output resolution to Source Direct. That should make all nice. Let me know if that does not fix it.

·
Eyes and Ears Thriller
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the VLP VW365ES Sony which I think is similar to yours in most ways. It up-scales so well that dvd's on my 1119 diagonal screen are almost as good as 4k blu ray at my 15 ft viewing distance but just lack the HDR feature. I have the same Oppo player as you. Check setup on the Oppo when it turns on. NO disk is needed to do this. It does have several selections under setup menu/video output setup. Select the "output resolutin then select source direct. Mine is set for source direct, not Custom resolution. If set to custom and the custom resolution is set to 1080p auto it is downconverting so tiiot will play on a non 4k device. If you have source direct it will use whatever the disk has on it for the shown resolution. Maybe your Oppo is in 1080P auto under custom resolution? If so it plays the 4k disk in 1080p if the prior output resolution is set to custom. Go into setup then go down to video output setup then resouluton and pick source direct. You probably have it set at custom and custom set to play in 1080p. The setting on the custom resolution at 1080p can be ignored isf you have the output resolution to Source Direct. That should make all nice. Let me know if that does not fix it.
Thanks for the response. I'm was referring to my HCPC running JRiver Media Center with MadVR. I need to know what MadVR settings need to be engaged to assure that my 4K signal isn't being downscaled to 1080p on my HCPC. In MAdVR info scree, I'm seeing: 0,0,3840,2160 -> 0,0,1920,1080. This looks like it's downscaling the 4K video it to me if I'm understanding this correctly.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Does your TV indicate that it is getting a 4k signal, not 1080p? If JRMC/madVR are changing output modes, then that would be causing the downscaling. Example: enabling FSE mode and only specifying 1080p as a valid output mode for the display in madVR settings. I believe JRMC also has options under Display Settings.

-tm

·
Eyes and Ears Thriller
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does your TV indicate that it is getting a 4k signal, not 1080p? If JRMC/madVR are changing output modes, then that would be causing the downscaling. Example: enabling FSE mode and only specifying 1080p as a valid output mode for the display in madVR settings. I believe JRMC also has options under Display Settings.

-tm
Actually that's what's strange. The projector is showing it's in 4K mode and I have all Display Modes the Sony can accept defined in MadVR. I also have JRMC set to auto set the Display Mode and resolution in Display Settings and it appears that it's working. Windows Display Settings is definitely being changed by JRMC. I'm just seeing that MadVR is downscaling 4K to 1080p and can't determine why and how to stop it.

·
Eyes and Ears Thriller
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It seems like this issue has been resolved. Now my 4K videos are showing as 4K in JRMC as they should. Upon opening JRMC today, I was prompted to update the software. I'm not sure if this resolved the issue or a system reboot is the culprit, but the 4K movies I tried worked perfectly.

Thanks to everyone who offered possible solutions.

·
Eyes and Ears Thriller
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. It appears it's back doing the exact same thing and I have no idea why. It looks like it's downscaling 4K to 1080p despite the Projector stating the resolution received is 4K. Yesterday it was showing 3840x2160 in MadVR. Today it's showing 3840x2160 -> 1920x1080. I did notice that yesterday the OS resolution was 4K. Today it's 1080p even though the display settings should be changing by themselves and the projector is showing 4K.

This is really confusing.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,005 Posts
I'd suggest trying to separate the components and see if you can isolate the problematic component / setting and go from there:

1) Put desktop into 3840x2160/24 *before* loading jriver. In madvr under display modes, uncheck "switch to matching display mode" and test.
2) Test some other player with madvr such as zoom player / media player classic hc and test outside of jriver.
3) Test without madvr as the renderer and see what you get

Also probably help to post your relevant madvr settings.

·
Registered
445 Posts
In JR, check out Tree & View -> Full Screen settings. Then, Video -> Display Settings -> Display Settings automatic change mode.

In madVR, check out devices -> Your display -> identification and verify your resolutions. Same for devices -> Your display -> display modes. Under rendering -> general settings, what are you using?

-tm

·
Eyes and Ears Thriller
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your responses.

I did a lot of troubleshooting last night and have finally figured out the issue in the simplest terms. Apparently, there are issues with the Display Switching taking place in the Nvidia Control Panel by MC/MadVR when going between 3D and 4K. The settings are showing correct on the PC, on the Projector and even in the MC stats but apparently, they aren't "taking" properly at the OS level. I do have all the latest Windows Updates, MC Updates and Nvidia Updates installed as of this writing. Please Note: I was rebooting at first to get this fix to work, but later discovered that a simple log out and back in after making the Display changes was sufficient for the new Display Settings to work properly. What I found is:

1. After watching 4K, to watch 3D MVC content, I have to manually put the PC in 1080p mode using the Nvidia CP, then log out of Windows and back in. MC switches to 3D mode as it should and plays 3D properly. If this log out or reboot isn't done, 3D mode isn't properly engaged in Nvidia CP and Windows, even though it shows that it is, and the correct 3D information is not sent to the projector.

2. After watching 3D, to watch 4K content, I have to manually put the PC in 4K mode using the Nvidia CP, then log out of Windows and back in. The MC plays 4K properly without Downscaling it to 1080p. If this log out or reboot isn't done, 4K mode isn't properly engaged in Nvidia CP or Windows, even though that it shows that it is. The projector does show that it's receiving a 4K signal but MC is showing that the 4K is being downscaled to 1080p and this is visually verified by the picture.
Although this is cumbersome and I hope resolved very soon, I have found these steps to display the content in its proper format.

DM

·
Registered
445 Posts
Nice, not the first time driver bugs have caused problems. The doom9 madVR thread is a good place to watch for that kind of stuff. They usually have a golden driver they recommend for least problems.

-tm

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,005 Posts
Thanks for your responses.

I did a lot of troubleshooting last night and have finally figured out the issue in the simplest terms. Apparently, there are issues with the Display Switching taking place in the Nvidia Control Panel by MC/MadVR when going between 3D and 4K. The settings are showing correct on the PC, on the Projector and even in the MC stats but apparently, they aren't "taking" properly at the OS level. I do have all the latest Windows Updates, MC Updates and Nvidia Updates installed as of this writing. Please Note: I was rebooting at first to get this fix to work, but later discovered that a simple log out and back in after making the Display changes was sufficient for the new Display Settings to work properly. What I found is:

1. After watching 4K, to watch 3D MVC content, I have to manually put the PC in 1080p mode using the Nvidia CP, then log out of Windows and back in. MC switches to 3D mode as it should and plays 3D properly. If this log out or reboot isn't done, 3D mode isn't properly engaged in Nvidia CP and Windows, even though it shows that it is, and the correct 3D information is not sent to the projector.

2. After watching 3D, to watch 4K content, I have to manually put the PC in 4K mode using the Nvidia CP, then log out of Windows and back in. The MC plays 4K properly without Downscaling it to 1080p. If this log out or reboot isn't done, 4K mode isn't properly engaged in Nvidia CP or Windows, even though that it shows that it is. The projector does show that it's receiving a 4K signal but MC is showing that the 4K is being downscaled to 1080p and this is visually verified by the picture.
Although this is cumbersome and I hope resolved very soon, I have found these steps to display the content in its proper format.

DM
Are you using exclusive full screen in MadVR? You should not have to logout and log back in for display changes. The only thing that requires that is display scaling. Perhaps set DPI scaling to 100% for 1080p and 4k, logout and login and see if the playback changes. Try MadVR on exclusive full screen also as that should bypass any display scaling. The other thing that may impact this is if your media center, whatever you're using, runs full time in the background. Perhaps it grabs resolution information on first load and when you change settings, its not until you logout and log back in that whatever that task is closes and reopens and grabs the new display settings. I am not sure what you're using so I cant comment more on whether or not this is happening but it's something to investigate. I use kodi with kodiplexconnect and have kodi launch zoomplayer with my MadVR settings on playback.

·
Eyes and Ears Thriller
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you using exclusive full screen in MadVR? You should not have to logout and log back in for display changes. The only thing that requires that is display scaling. Perhaps set DPI scaling to 100% for 1080p and 4k, logout and login and see if the playback changes. Try MadVR on exclusive full screen also as that should bypass any display scaling. The other thing that may impact this is if your media center, whatever you're using, runs full time in the background. Perhaps it grabs resolution information on first load and when you change settings, its not until you logout and log back in that whatever that task is closes and reopens and grabs the new display settings. I am not sure what you're using so I cant comment more on whether or not this is happening but it's something to investigate. I use kodi with kodiplexconnect and have kodi launch zoomplayer with my MadVR settings on playback.
Yes I use Exclusive Full Screen Mode in MadVR. I also use JRiver Media Center Red October HQ with MadVR built in. I'll post back if anything changes.

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
Yes I use Exclusive Full Screen Mode in MadVR. I also use JRiver Media Center Red October HQ with MadVR built in. I'll post back if anything changes.
Ok well Jriver has multiple options for running at startup and keeping itself running so perhaps thats the problem. Why do people use jriver instead of plex or kodi anyway (just curious)?

·
Eyes and Ears Thriller
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok well Jriver has multiple options for running at startup and keeping itself running so perhaps thats the problem. Why do people use jriver instead of plex or kodi anyway (just curious)?
This is what I posted in the JRiver thread slightly edited for relevance.

I wanted to give a quick shot out to the owner and devs over at JRiver.

JRiver Media Center is an outstanding piece of software that delivers a superb home theater audio/video experience with a level of seamless automation that all serious Home Theater enthusiasts need to experience. I have finally found a software solution for my HTPC that does it right and truly brings everything together.

Since discovering MC's true power a couple of days ago, I have went from 3 pieces of software to just one in my theater. With MC, I can play my collection of over 1,000 4Ks/3Ds/Blu-rays, 18,000 Songs and 5,000 Photos in one place with complete automation and speed. It's all neat and organized. It hasn't crashed or not done what it's supposed to do one single time. It's extremely impressive.

All of the Display Mode switching in Windows and Nvidia when switching between video types is handled automatically behind the scenes providing a professional and streamlined experience for myself and all guests. And the MadVR and Lav takes things to a completely different level in terms of sight and sound. Why Plex hasn't attempted to create a theater product (as they advertise) like this is beyond me. I guess they're all about streaming now so I guess I will keep them around for that... maybe.

I used to use PowerDVD 17 for my 3D MKV playback but for the last two versions and a couple HTPC overhauls I just could not get rid of a slight stutter from time to time when watching 3D content. I have not seen one stutter with MC with any video type. PDVD will also only play my ripped 4K movies some of the time. Plex will play them but I have to manually adjust the MS and Nvidia settings when switching from 4K to SD and vice versa. Not in MC. It's smooth like butter.

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
This is what I posted in the JRiver thread slightly edited for relevance.

I wanted to give a quick shot out to the owner and devs over at JRiver.

JRiver Media Center is an outstanding piece of software that delivers a superb home theater audio/video experience with a level of seamless automation that all serious Home Theater enthusiasts need to experience. I have finally found a software solution for my HTPC that does it right and truly brings everything together.

Since discovering MC's true power a couple of days ago, I have went from 3 pieces of software to just one in my theater. With MC, I can play my collection of over 1,000 4Ks/3Ds/Blu-rays, 18,000 Songs and 5,000 Photos in one place with complete automation and speed. It's all neat and organized. It hasn't crashed or not done what it's supposed to do one single time. It's extremely impressive.

All of the Display Mode switching in Windows and Nvidia when switching between video types is handled automatically behind the scenes providing a professional and streamlined experience for myself and all guests. And the MadVR and Lav takes things to a completely different level in terms of sight and sound. Why Plex hasn't attempted to create a theater product (as they advertise) like this is beyond me. I guess they're all about streaming now so I guess I will keep them around for that... maybe.

I used to use PowerDVD 17 for my 3D MKV playback but for the last two versions and a couple HTPC overhauls I just could not get rid of a slight stutter from time to time when watching 3D content. I have not seen one stutter with MC with any video type. PDVD will also only play my ripped 4K movies some of the time. Plex will play them but I have to manually adjust the MS and Nvidia settings when switching from 4K to SD and vice versa. Not in MC. It's smooth like butter.
Thank you for that. In case you're at all interested, I also have this all handled here with Kodi+plexkodiconnect+zoom player. My main viewing system is via plex. But I wanted ability to use MadVR so what I've done is installed Kodi, configured it to use my plex library via plexkodiconnect, and then I configured kodi to use zoom player as its player (I could have used MPC-HC but always preferred zoomplayer). There I configured LAV Fitlers, MadVR the way I want it (includes resolution switching as needed). I have even configured some advanced features for example:
-If movie is 2.35:1, video moves to bottom of screen masked so no black bars under the video.
-If movie is 4k, projector automatically switches to cinema 2 and back when done

The benefits of this setup is that I can be in other room watching something in plex and go into theater where it marks next episode in on deck properly etc.

When I play music, I handle it a bit differently. I use foobar as a flac player. When foobar is launched, windows is set to 2 channel audio, my receiver is set to my audio profile which readjusts the speaker levels, sub crossovers for music etc, and forces only 2 channel audio. When foobar is exited, all this is undone and receiver is back into movie mode.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts