AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just switched to madVR, LAV Cuvid with a GT 430, Lav Audio, and Lav Splitter and so far I'm enjoying how easy they are to use and configure with MPC-HC. The only problem I'm having is with DVD (29.970fps) content. I use Autofrequency to switch the refresh rate to 59.94 and I am noticing several presentation glitches from the OSD with madvr. With blu ray I don't get any presentation glitches so I'm pretty sure it has to do with DVD refresh rate. Am I using the correct refresh rate? Does anyone use a custom resolution for DVD content?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
The correct refresh rate (in NTSC) is:

- 23.976Hz for film-based DVD contents

- 59.94Hz for video-based DVD contents

(So nothing is different from HD contents.) AFAIK, there are only two solutions of automatic refresh rate change for *SD* contents (all interlaced at 29.97 fps which madVR and Autofrequency are based on):

- Use ReClock and a VB script; unfortunately madVR does not like this (black screen after the refresh rate change by an external method).

- Add a framerate token to the file name, 23p, 24p, 59p or 60p. This method is good for a single file such as MKV, but not good for the DVD folder (?, as there are multiple files).

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure what you mean by adding a frame rate token to the file?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use autofrequency so I don't think that applies to me. When I set 29.970 to 29hz refresh rate the presentation glitches go away but madvr display is reporting 23.977....is this okay?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
So in AutoFrequency settings, you added the following entry:

- Video frame rate: 29.970

- Screen: [your graphics card name]

- Resolution - screen refresh rate: 23Hz

Is that right? A problem is not every SD (let alone HD) content encoded at 29.97fps is film-based, i.e. should be played back not at 23.976Hz, but at 59.94Hz. That's the main limitation of AutoFrequency/madVR approach, where the refresh rate is determined only by the frame rate of the *source*. The refresh rate should be based on the frame rate of the final raw video stream (decoded, deinterlaced or inverse telecined) and ReClock + VB script is the only solution.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No I set resolution to 29hz in autofrequency and display in madvr showed 23.977 but no presentation glitches. When I set it to 59.94 display showed 59.943 but there were lots of presentation glitches.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaxphenomx /forum/post/20917749

No I set resolution to 29hz in autofrequency and display in madvr showed 23.977 but no presentation glitches. When I set it to 59.94 display showed 59.943 but there were lots of presentation glitches.

I am not sure how you achieved 23Hz desktop refresh rate automatically for DVDs. No presentation glitches is good, anyway.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I read somewhere that madvr ignores 29hz refresh rate and just assumes it as 23hz. Maybe that's what's going on? Do you know how to check whether my DVDs are 23.976 or 59.94? They are all mkvs using makemkv.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
madVR itself does not change the refresh rate unless you add either

- resolution/refresh rate (e.g. 1080p23) in madVR settings > devices > [your display name] > display mode > "list all display modes madVR may switch to", or

- a framerate token to the file name.

As I said before there is no simple way to tell if a SD content is film-based or video-based; all are interlaced 29.97fps. Movies are mostly film-based and music concerts and documentaries are video-based.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay thanks for the help. I'm one step closer to the perfect htpc :). The only problem I have remaining is a couple of my blu ray mkvs (step brothers and gladiator) show image breakup randomly. Madvr isnt showing dropped frames or presentation glitches. It's very strange. It's not jitter or sync glitches. It's more like Artifacting. Any idea why I'm only seeing it on these two films? It has improved since I upgraded my processor. I have tried reripping these two films.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts