AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 2933 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Soooo, it seems my dream may become reality sooner than I expected! :rolleyes:

Madshi has just written a very interesting message in the doom forum about something called "madVR ENVY"

and if we follow the link...

http://envy.madvr.com/

we get this: :eek::eek::eek:

I always wanted madVR HTPC with HDMI IN.

I have been using a HTPC with madVR in combination with my Epson EH-LS10000 first to upscale 1080p to 4k with NGU. And then I started to play my 4K HDR bluray thanks to madVR tone mapping with my Epson EH-LS10000 which is not even officialy HDR compatible!

I then started and participated actively in a madVR tone improvement thread since a year now.
And, madVR has become so good that I think this is now the best (for me) for HDR Tone Mapping out there!
At least, nothing can beat it when it comes to tone mapping for projector with low nits ~100nits.

So yes, my 4K Bluray have never looked better... but what about my Netflix 4k HDR Series? And what about streaming 4k HDR movie directly from a 4K TV Apple box :D
Well that was always my dream... like many other madVR users ...

And if I am not mistaking, and if madshi does not over-promise, then we will get something like a madVR box with hdmi IN to process any source we want SOON!!! :cool:

Can't wait!

@please madshi, tell us more! :D

My questions:

1) Is it a standalone box?
2) Do you still have a GPU in it?
3) How many hdmi In? :D
4) Can it also replace my hdfury vertex and change the EDID to make my Epson EH-LS1000 compatible with Netflix 4k HDR?
5) When is it coming?
6) What's the price? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'll update this post when we get new information.

Attachments

·
Registered
690 Posts
Wahoo!! Naturally this comes out 5 minutes after I finish building my htpc for madvr 🙂

Edit: however, I am guessing this box is going to cost a lot more than the $250 I spent on craigslist to get my htpc

·
aka jfinnie
4,229 Posts
I'm particularly interested to know if this will be a full fledged CE type product with proper HDCP capable in / outs and all that entails, or whether we'll have to work that out ourselves.

Also, at a geek level, whether this is taking current SW and running it on a embedded PC based architecture, or moving the MadVR algorithms and know-how to an FPGA or other kind of platform.

Anyway, whatever it turns out to be, very exciting, it is always good for the consumer for there to be more options in the market! :)

·
Registered
690 Posts
I'm particularly interested to know if this will be a full fledged CE type product with proper HDCP capable in / outs and all that entails, or whether we'll have to work that out ourselves.

Also, at a geek level, whether this is taking current SW and running it on a embedded PC based architecture, or moving the MadVR algorithms and know-how to an FPGA or other kind of platform.

Anyway, whatever it turns out to be, very exciting, it is always good for the consumer for there to be more options in the market! :)
A lumagen competitor? Or a lumagen cooperation product? The possibilities are exciting (and endless, at this point)

·
aka jfinnie
4,229 Posts
A lumagen competitor? Or a lumagen cooperation product? The possibilities are exciting (and endless, at this point)
I have loved my Lumagens, but always hoped for a useful competitor in the market, so I really hope it is the former. Everything else that has been in the market has been so half-baked as to be laughable. Only the EEcolor and Prisma have had useful 3DLUT for consumer with HDCP, and neither have been very polished at all.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Just wait until more people find this thread. There are dozens of people on AVS who want this product (whatever it might be ;))
Yes I think this thread will go CRAZY real soon!
madsi/madvr is the best thing since sliced bread, we love it;)

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
I would like to see cooperation between the 2, perhaps a license from MadVR to Lumagen, similar to the Darbee offering. Free up limited resources of both companies one to develop HDR tone mapping and the other to develop full features of video processor.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I would like to see cooperation between the 2, perhaps a license from MadVR to Lumagen, similar to the Darbee offering. Free up limited resources of both companies one to develop HDR tone mapping and the other to develop full features of video processor.
That sounds like it would be to expensive (At least for me). I would have a Lumagen Radiance Pro if I could get the available funds. I think a lot of people sounded like they wanted something of the cost of building their own higher end pc. There was a survey done a 2 or 3 months ago but, I cannot find it. :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
That sounds like it would be to expensive (At least for me). I would have a Lumagen Radiance Pro if I could get the available funds. I think a lot of people sounded like they wanted something of the cost of building their own higher end pc. There was a survey done a 2 or 3 months ago but, I cannot find it. :)
Exactly, I don't want to get excited about it and find out it is several thousand dollars.
Can we at least get a ballpark figure on cost?

Thanks

·
Registered
812 Posts
Man i m extreemly excited about this, i ve been using MadVr for a long time and the latest beta builds are just excellent!! hope its not just tone mapping and the upscaler can be used for any source, in my opinion MadVR is the best upscaler/tone mapping ull ever find with plenty of extra features.
lets just hope its not super expensive.

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
Subscribed and REALLY INTERESTED :)

Reactions: tjcinnamon
1 - 20 of 2933 Posts