AVS Forum banner

2741 - 2760 of 2884 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
Just found that in the specs for the new Dune 4K Pro II:
"Advanced setup controls allow professional users and installers to fine tune the video output parameters in the best way for a particular setup. In particular, it is possible to configure what chroma subsampling modes should be used for each individual HDMI video mode."

That sound really interesting IMHO.
Don’t get your hopes too high re that specific “feature”, because it’s most likely limited to 4:2:0 at 50/60p, like every other CE source. I pre-ordered it a few weeks ago and should be getting one in the next couple of weeks. I will report on the PQ from it of course.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I guess it just shows how different our individual use cases are though broadly similar in the sphere of HT AV. There are probably no more than a couple of dozen movies that are likely to be watched more than once for me - that I'll happily sit through over and over, and they're nearly always re-watched because they're stories I like rather than for the audio / visual candy. 99% of what I'll watch in my room is new to me so access to content sources massively outranks the furthest reach of marginal gain theory.

Well it’s not about rewatching for me.

I’m pretty young and there’s a countless amount of great cinema from the past that I have yet to ever see.

So I spend lots of my time watching older stuff because I have never seen it and I think it’s worth seeing.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
What source device are you going to use to stream native resolution to the Envy so that the Envy can do the upscaling?
If I were to be able to afford an Envy, I'd be using my Shield 2019 as a source device. Is it perfect? No. But so far I've yet to see any streaming device that's considered to be a perfect source. I don't know that I'll be able to afford an Envy any time soon, unfortunately, but, god knows I'd love one.

Reactions: Manni01

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Hi,

What is the cost of the envy?

Last time I checked could not find any info.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
What source device are you going to use to stream native resolution to the Envy so that the Envy can do the upscaling?
I have already reported here and elsewhere that the Shield TV 2019 has a third party app that allows to get a source direct mode (native resolution, native refresh rate) to Envy.

All the upscaling /tonemapping is done by Envy, except some of the chroma upscaling. Plus, if you don't want to bother with source direct, nVidia's AI upscaling is significantly superior to other sources such as the ATV, Roku etc.

No other streaming box that I know of has this source direct ability, which makes it the best streaming source for Envy (or any external VP with better upscaling performance than the source or display) currently available. Especially for Netflix as the refresh rate selection is automatic. For Amazon and some other streaming services it's only semi auto, you have to manually select the correct refresh/rate resolution with a quick menu after the app displays it).

The Pro model is highly recommended for integration as there are no IR port anymore on the new Shield TV models, so you need a USB port for a FLIRC and only the pro has these.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Speaking of source devices, is there a significant difference between OPPO 103D and 203 in source direct for 2D/3D HD? Obviously, Darbee would be disabled to avoid signal degradation, but is there something in the 203 that makes it a better transport than the 103D?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Don’t get your hopes too high re that specific “feature”, because it’s most likely limited to 4:2:0 at 50/60p, like every other CE source. I pre-ordered it a few weeks ago and should be getting one in the next couple of weeks. I will report on the PQ from it of course.
Yep, that´s what i´m fearing as well - i guess it´s just what can be done with the previous model. You can select, but only within the limits we already know...

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
I’ve heard it has changed a few times since then, but let’s wait until we see this thing go on sale officially.[/QUOTE

Does it seem the price is going to go up or down?
This is not a fact but my understanding is the ENVY Pro/Extreme (The Highest-End Model) I think it's called retails for like $12,000.00 in US Dollars I think.

Terry

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’️ve heard it has changed a few times since then, but let’️s wait until we see this thing go on sale officially.[/QUOTE

Does it seem the price is going to go up or down?
This is not a fact but my understanding is the ENVY Pro/Extreme (The Highest-End Model) I think it's called retails for like $12,000.00 in US Dollars I think.

Terry
If this is correct - I think the price of the high end Envy was already at a point that would leave this product to a very small market. Now with further increases it gets even worse (relative to other products). Hopefully the lower end Envy is coming down from $5,000 since at least it would capture a large market where if it really impressed buyers of the lower model they could buy into the higher end later.

In any case, my bigger concern is that this product will be reaching soon the one year anniversary delay from the original target date to be available for sale. The message keeps being sent that it is close to release but it is not happening. I have seen few products that had this type of official delays and where truly successful. I understand and appreciate the beta testing but a close to a one year delay from official announcement on availability concerns me on technical and/or business issues.

·
Registered
28,775 Posts
If this is correct - I think the price of the high end Envy was already at a point that would leave this product to a very small market. Now with further increases it gets even worse (relative to other products). Hopefully the lower end Envy is coming down from $5,000 since at least it would capture a large market where if it really impressed buyers of the lower model they could buy into the higher end later.

In any case, my bigger concern is that this product will be reaching soon the one year anniversary delay from the original target date to be available for sale. The message keeps being sent that it is close to release but it is not happening. I have seen few products that had this type of official delays and where truly successful. I understand and appreciate the beta testing but a close to a one year delay from official announcement on availability concerns me on technical and/or business issues.
Both went up.

2741 - 2760 of 2884 Posts