AVS Forum banner

501 - 520 of 2958 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
The only steer that I'm aware of @madshi giving on the subject was here:

I think most folk who've been around a bit are expecting it will be significantly more expensive than a typical bought HTPC setup and probably not that far off some Lumagen models. Would always be nice to be pleasantly surprised.
Thank you @bobof for pointing me to this post.
I can see myself considering up to 2k$ for "madvr-quality" scaling / mapping in a convenient package, i.e. a box I could use with a Shield or blu-ray player without worrying about Windows updates ;-)

·
Registered
28,794 Posts
Thank you @bobof for pointing me to this post.
I can see myself considering up to 2k$ for "madvr-quality" scaling / mapping in a convenient package, i.e. a box I could use with a Shield or blu-ray player without worrying about Windows updates ;-)
People are spending 1k now, just for parts to build their HTPC. Add the labor, the additional input ports, licensing fees, overhead and profit and there is no way you can do this for 2K.

·
Registered
28,794 Posts
Yeah id guess it will be in the vicinity of $4-6K USD ...a lot more realistic.

A "High End" HTPC will run around $3-4K USD
Is that with you providing the labor? If so, then it will be more than 6K.

·
Registered
388 Posts
1) -This will be on choice right OS, i think there will be use some mode UNIX system (https://www.khronos.org/) .
2) -They will use x86 platform, or some special CPU chip. But for MadVR compatibility they will go to use x86 technology. Its already implented on CPU HW. They can use some special design of game console with bether GPU.
3) -If you look on XBOX S/X you can already install Linux (UBUNTU) with HDMI IN.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I believe that madVr Labs, LLC would be smart to keep MadVr available on the Windows/PC platform, as it is today. But, it’s about time we all should start paying for the privilege of using this software. It would be a great leveraged marketing plan to use MadVr/PC as a jumping off point for customers considering Madvr/Envy. Maybe offer a free trial membership. I personally would consider $500 to $1000 as a justifiable price for a life-time subscription to Madvr/PC, with free updates included. This would help defray some of the overhead of the new company and related startup cost. What does everyone else think?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I believe that madVr Labs, LLC would be smart to keep MadVr available on the Windows/PC platform, as it is today. But, it’s about time we all should start paying for the privilege of using this software. It would be a great leveraged marketing plan to use MadVr/PC as a jumping off point for customers considering Madvr/Envy. Maybe offer a free trial membership. I personally would consider $500 to $1000 as a justifiable price for a life-time subscription to Madvr/PC, with free updates included. This would help defray some of the overhead of the new company and related startup cost. What does everyone else think?

I don’t think madshi will do that. He has been supporting this amazing product for almost a decade and I don’t think he will do it now. Just knowing what an amazing job MadVR does and knowing I can replicate it for any and all sources with Envy I will gladly spend money for a dedicated device - no need to charge for MadVR PC.

With all the trends about open source or community edition software going full blown commercial will not make a lot of sense

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
certainly would be nice if the envy meant he ported this to linux (and made that available as a standalone madvr build) :)

·
aka jfinnie
4,233 Posts
certainly would be nice if the envy meant he ported this to linux (and made that available as a standalone madvr build) :)
I guess the only reason to port to Linux would be to use something like the Nvidia Jetson boards instead of a PC motherboard and graphics card, though not sure if they really have the grunt required.

Otherwise I'm not sure the cost / benefit would be there; Windows embedded licenses don't cost a fortune and allow binary compatibility plus a locked down OS. I'm pretty sure there will be much more expensive stuff in here than a Windows license.

As a Linux SW engineer in a previous life though it would be nice if it were Linux based, but I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,414 Posts
Yeah id guess it will be in the vicinity of $4-6K USD ...a lot more realistic.

A "High End" HTPC will run around $3-4K USD
In USA you can easily build a high end HTPC device for $850 or so.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,414 Posts
You can't start charging for something that was previously free and not piss everyone off.

·
aka jfinnie
4,233 Posts
In USA you can easily build a high end HTPC device for $850 or so.
This is where it all gets very murky, qualify what that is exactly.
I thought the GFX card suggested as being "high end" for MadVR applications including upscaling and tone mapping (1080ti / 2080ti) retails for more than that. From what I read something like a 2060 is the current base level requirement for 4k tone mapping and is still around $300-350?

·
Registered
510 Posts
You can't start charging for something that was previously free and not piss everyone off.
You don’t stay in business long if you don’t charge for your products. I would think the future user base would be much larger for the PC version. Does that mean MadVr/PC is doomed to non-support and maybe even discontinued? I just can’t see madVR Labs, LLC turning their backs on the PC version. Too much potential.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
You don’t stay in business long if you don’t charge for your products. I would think the future user base would be much larger for the PC version. Does that mean MadVr/PC is doomed to non-support and maybe even discontinued? I just can’t see madVR Labs, LLC turning their backs on the PC version. Too much potential.

If its free is it really “in business?”

The free madvr software has been available for over 10 years now. Why would continuing to be free change anything?

He decided he wants to make some money, hence the envy which will probably be pretty expensive.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I may be wrong, but i would say that Envy shares a lot of code with MadVR, and will continue to share in the future. Moreover, i assume madVr Labs is basically Madshi, and don't have the resources for a large QA team, so part of the Envy QA process will be the vast number of passionate madVR users all over the world.

As such, it may be in the best interest of Madshi to continue offering MadVR as free, at least some version of it. One option could be offering a PRO paid version of MadVR with some of the PRO features, and a free version with a more limited feature set.

·
Registered
510 Posts
... so part of the Envy QA process will be the vast number of passionate madVR users all over the world....
I like the way your thinking about the customer adding value by promoting the QA process, externally. The best new application software I’ve worked on (I’m a retired mainframe programmer) always had the customer deeply involved in the QA and testing processes. It made our job much easier and rewarding. At implementation, the customer was always more satisfied.

But, I just don’t see how you can sell an expensive, high-end product like the Envy and at the same time offer a free, similar version on a different platform. Seems like it would cannibalize the Envy sales? Maybe the PC version would be very rudimentary, in comparison. Making you want to upgrade to the Envy. Time will tell...

·
aka jfinnie
4,233 Posts
I like the way your thinking about the customer adding value by promoting the QA process, externally. The best new application software I’ve worked on (I’m a retired mainframe programmer) always had the customer deeply involved in the QA and testing processes. It made our job much easier and rewarding. At implementation, the customer was always more satisfied.

But, I just don’t see how you can sell an expensive, high-end product like the Envy and at the same time offer a free, similar version on a different platform. Seems like it would cannibalize the Envy sales? Maybe the PC version would be very rudimentary, in comparison. Making you want to upgrade to the Envy. Time will tell...
Reality is the plentiful supply of media that can be put through MadVR on the PC is coming to an end (I'm talking about legitimately owned and semi-legitimately self-ripped content, not stolen content grabbed from torrent sites), so the PC MadVR app is becoming less relevant for mainstream media consumption. Even if there is a legitimate PC player for the media you want to use you still can't stick it through MadVR as the protected media path infrastructure for DRM sees to that.

Devices with HDMI in are therefore a necessity now for most, and as far as I'm aware you couldn't make an HDMI in card legitimately to plug into a standard PC and use with MadVR as you would be breaking the terms of the HDCP license you'd have to sign in order to receive copy protected content.

In short, I don't see the harm in leaving MadVR for the PC as free as it is becoming less useful as time goes by.

·
Registered
7,605 Posts
Consider the hours that he has poured into this thing. People getting pissed may be a little entitled. 10 years of a free product is pretty great. He has every right to make something off of his labor.

501 - 520 of 2958 Posts