AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all,
my intent is to create a thread dedicated to who use HTPC with MadVR on 4K TVs and Pjs.

I hope users can report personal experience and settings here.

I start with a personal question because I'm new in this world and I'm going to build my HTPC to see Blu Ray films at the best quality on my New UHD Tv (Panasonic Ax900):

I'm going to buy a new NVIDIA Graphic card but I've not sure about GTX 970 or GTX 980 ?
If I go with GTX 970 I'll miss some special processing that may give better quality???

thank you all

·
Registered
320 Posts
There's another thread here where I posted some numbers for 1080p to 4K upscaling with madVR and gtx 970. [email protected] neurons for luma doubling, jinc3ar for image + chroma upscaling, and error diffusion 2 takes about ~37ms on a 970. Perfect for 23.976fps material. If you go with either of those cards, I'd highly recommend getting a blower type hsf

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am also building a htpc for blu ray/mkv playback only and trying to figure out best hardware to use. Would a g3258 be a good choice for cpu or would I need a i5.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

You should probably wait for the new AMD cards if you want to do 4K upscaling with NNEDI3.
Interesting but ... we have to say that AMD suffer of the "interop" problem that reduce the performance ....so...
It will be possible that a new AMD chard (with interop) may perform equal to a GTX980 (without interop)??

When you talk about "4k upscaling with NNEDI3" I imagine that you are talking about "Chroma upsampling".... Right?

Do you think that this can be done already today with a GTX980?
A GTX970 is not capable to work in 4K with "Chroma upsampling" with NNEDI3?

and more in your opinion a "chroma upsamling" with NNEDI3 is visibly better than Jinc?

There's another thread here where I posted some numbers for 1080p to 4K upscaling with madVR and gtx 970. [email protected] neurons for luma doubling, ....
Excuse me bcec but with UHD Tvs is usefull to check also the "use NNEDI3 to quadruple luma resolution" ?

If you go with either of those cards, I'd highly recommend getting a blower type hsf
Excuse me, what is HSF ??

I've another question for you:

What is the best additional "detail enhancer" processing filter for the upscaled UHD signal?

thank you all

·
Registered
320 Posts
Excuse me bcec but with UHD Tvs is usefull to check also the "use NNEDI3 to quadruple luma resolution" ?
I never got to see the benefit of this unfortunately. Checking NNEDI3 quadruple luma taxes my card so much that it is unusable :(

Excuse me, what is HSF ??
Heat sink and fan. A blower card is one where there is usually only a single fan, and card is sealed in such a way that all the hot air blows at the back of the card.

I've another question for you:

What is the best additional "detail enhancer" processing filter for the upscaled UHD signal?

thank you all
I just use NNEDI3 wherever possible. I haven't really tried anything else. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Hi to all,
my intent is to create a thread dedicated to who use HTPC with MadVR on 4K TVs and Pjs.

I hope users can report personal experience and settings here.

I start with a personal question because I'm new in this world and I'm going to build my HTPC to see Blu Ray films at the best quality on my New UHD Tv (Panasonic Ax900):

I'm going to buy a new NVIDIA Graphic card but I've not sure about GTX 970 or GTX 980 ?
If I go with GTX 970 I'll miss some special processing that may give better quality???

thank you all
Your 4k TV upscales everything to 4k.

It's how digital televisions work.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I never got to see the benefit of this unfortunately. Checking NNEDI3 quadruple luma taxes my card so much that it is unusable :(
Really? Strange because I use a 280X AMD and I can use quadrupling luma with decent (no dropframes) rendering time!

Please take a look at my settings and tell me is are similar to yours or if I'm missing something important:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

To be specific in my HTPC I've two R9 280X but the CrossfireX is disabled and, in any case, I suppose that MadVR has not created to take advantages if the pc has two graphic cards linked.....

Infact in the past weeks I've performed tests about this but the CrossfireX actived to not better my rendering times...

·
Registered
320 Posts
Really? Strange because I use a 280X AMD and I can use quadrupling luma with decent (no dropframes) rendering time!
Thanks for the reply. In your screenshot, it shows that video res is 1080p. If you are doing 1080p->2160p, you are only doubling afaik, which works fine for me as well (our settings are similar).

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Profiles with MadVR

Hi guys,
is it possible to create, store and dynamicaly recall different settings in madVR?

Infact I've setted the upper settings that my graphic card can support when I play standard 24p Blu Rays.
My rendering times are around 40ms but I don't have dropped frames.

Yesterday I've reproduced an anime coded at 1080i25fps.
With this file I've high rendering times with a lot of dropped frames.

So it will be fantastic if madVR can save and auto-load different settings related to various kind of content played....

Some weeks ago I read that madVR can but .... I'm not able to find nothing about it ....

thank you all

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Hi guys,
is it possible to create, store and dynamicaly recall different settings in madVR?

Infact I've setted the upper settings that my graphic card can support when I play standard 24p Blu Rays.
My rendering times are around 40ms but I don't have dropped frames.

Yesterday I've reproduced an anime coded at 1080i25fps.
With this file I've high rendering times with a lot of dropped frames.

So it will be fantastic if madVR can save and auto-load different settings related to various kind of content played....

Some weeks ago I read that madVR can but .... I'm not able to find nothing about it ....

thank you all
You can create profiles that will load specific settings when the profile rules are encountered, but you can't auto-load settings to my knowledge.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Funny that I stumbled into this thread after just posting a similar question over in the madVR thread on Doom9. I am using a GTX 970 to upscale 1080p to 4K as well, but it is struggling with things like super res and luma doubling running. Thinking of going to the Titan X, but would consider AMD if I thought it would be screaming loud as the computer sits directly behind me in my home theater. The Titan X compute performance is a real concern. I don't mind spending the $1k if I thought I could max out madVR and call it a day, but the compute performance is less than double the 970 so I have some serious doubts. I'll keep an eye on this thread and see what is the consensus.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
with some of the cards being released, what do people think, team red or green?
Supposedly the GTX 1060 and RX 480 are equivalent with madVR. Both would run madVR at max settings if you don't care about NNEDI3 chroma upscaling and luma doubling run at the same time with high neurons.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Supposedly the GTX 1060 and RX 480 are equivalent with madVR. Both would run madVR at max settings if you don't care about NNEDI3 chroma upscaling and luma doubling run at the same time with high neurons.
I'm actually new to the game in terms of madVR! still learning the must have settings with a 4k display. thanks for the info.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts