AVS Forum banner

501 - 520 of 549 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
I take my previous post #498 back, the probel had returned, but it is not the drivers at all. No problems with Madvr with new drivers. In the end it was my TV. I was wondering why in the world was I getting choppy playback with 0 dropped frames or glitches. The TV was freaking out, it has done this in the past when I first got it and I had forgotten about just unplugging it from the wall resets it. So that was all it was. I spent so much time troubleshooting it, at least I know now.

Just curious what exactly is the issue with Madvr and the recent drivers? Seems the thread has gone cold, I am assuming new drivers cured peoples woes?

*Off topic but is it really a good idea for the display to be switching refresh rates all the time like in Madvr matching refresh rates? Are they designed for that kind of use?

·
Registered
501 Posts
I think most of us are still using the drivers from 2 years ago that are rock solid, unless you use the htpc for gaming I don't see the reason to try the new ones.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I think most of us are still using the drivers from 2 years ago that are rock solid, unless you use the htpc for gaming I don't see the reason to try the new ones.
Agree. Dont fix what isnt broken.

But if you have a new card it isn't possible to use old drivers. It's pretty ridiculous that people will have to buy an old card just to make Madvr work as intended without issue. So the well I am all good on old hardware and software mindset will eventually have to be rethought. But on the other hand Nvidia probably doesnt test drivers with MAdvr ha!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The issues with madVR HDR Passthrough that plague the new Nvidia drivers are very real and are best summed up in Doom9's forum when you search for terms 'AMD, Intel and Nvidia driver issues and last recommended version' in Google (can't post a link as a new member)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hey guys, HDR is acting wonky again for me kind of out of nowhere.

Still using Nvidia 385.28...

Here is what happens: when I launch a UHD MKV from Emby (WMC) MPC-BE starts and plays the file. My TV shows the 'HDR' logo telling me that it is switching over to HDR mode, however the movie plays in only green/purple colors.

I have found that turning the TV off and on again fixes the problem, minimizing MPC also fixes the issue.

What is happening that my UHD files constantly launch distorted ??

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I'm not sure. I would update to the latest driver. A green screen is a corrupt image. Maybe it is an HDMI handshake issue, but there is little harm in using the latest driver with HDR passthrough.

If that doesn't work, then more troubleshooting would be involved. Did you check to see if any changes occurred in the GPU control panel from a Windows update?

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'm not sure. I would update to the latest driver. A green screen is a corrupt image. Maybe it is an HDMI handshake issue, but there is little harm in using the latest driver with HDR passthrough.

If that doesn't work, then more troubleshooting would be involved. Did you check to see if any changes occurred in the GPU control panel from a Windows update?
I will try the latest driver but I keep hearing over and over that 385.24 is the last driver that isn't broken for MadVR playback.

My HDMI cables are monoprice certified, I don't believe they are the problem.

Didn't notice any changes to the NVCP before I started troubleshooting.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Downloaded and installed the latest NVIDIA drivers and the exact same behavior happens, dx11 shows distorted video and dx9 works properly. However the new drivers seem to have problems with bit streaming audio as well

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
The lack of bitstreaming might be because you need to go through the Windows Sound settings wizard again.

I don't know what would cause the green screen. Did it coincide with a Windows update?

It might help to try another media player from the desktop like MPC-HC to it isn't the media player or Emby.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I changed MadVR to 8bit, and it seemingly fixed my problem. Does that make any sense ?

I now have both MadVR and my Nvidia CP set to 8 bit.

·
Registered
501 Posts
What is the preferred bit setting for both MadVR and the Nvidia CP ?

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Either of these should produce the same perceived image quality:

madVR (10-bit) -> GPU (12-bit)

madVR (8-bit) -> GPU (8-bit)

All gradients will appear smooth because dithering is added to the image when converting the 16-32-bit video processing result from madVR to the 8-10 bit output bit depth sent to the GPU. Then 8-bits and 10-bits will look identical to the eye.

You need to check use D3D11 for presentation to output 10-bits.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Either of these should produce the same perceived image quality:

madVR (10-bit) -> GPU (12-bit)

madVR (8-bit) -> GPU (8-bit)

All gradients will appear smooth because dithering is added to the image when converting the 16-32-bit video processing result from madVR to the 8-10 bit output bit depth sent to the GPU. Then 8-bits and 10-bits will look identical to the eye.

You need to check use D3D11 for presentation to output 10-bits.
When I tell MadVR to output 8bit, hitting cntrl+J reveals that my display is running at 60hz even though the composition rate is 23.976.

On the flip side telling MadVR to display 10bit, hitting cntrl J reveals my display is running at 23.980 (like it should, to match the video file) HOWEVER my video is entirely purple and green.

What on Earth is going on ? I'm so baffled please help me figure out what's happening.

·
Registered
501 Posts
What did you enter in display modes?

You need 2160p23, 2160p24 to enable proper refresh rate switching to 23.976 Hz and 24 Hz.
I have entered those and it seemingly changes nothing. I actually have that field left blank, I think MPC-be handles my auto display mode switching instead, is that wrong for me to do ?

501 - 520 of 549 Posts