AVS Forum banner

521 - 540 of 549 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Ok so I've done a ton of messing around and I now have a really good idea of where my problem lies but I need some good advise on where to go next.

Essentially I've discovered that when MPC-BE/MadVR launches a 4K UHD for playback at normal 24hz (standard film fps) the image goes full green and purple.

This issue is NOT present on 4K 60hz titles (such as Billy Lynn's long halftime walk) the HDR launches perfectly.

Also, if I force MadVR to use only 2160p 60hz mode and launch a 24hz UHD, the HDR also launches perfectly.

For some reason 60hz works perfectly for me but 23/24hz is giving me huge issues, that's where I'm at right now, please advise what to do now to fix this.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
This is a pic I found on the web to show you what settings in MPC-BE I'm referring to. These are not my actual settings.
MPC-BE will only switch display modes if you check "Use autochange fullscreen monitor mode." I'm assuming you checked that. In that case, madVR's display mode switcher won't do anything.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Ok so I've done a ton of messing around and I now have a really good idea of where my problem lies but I need some good advise on where to go next.

Essentially I've discovered that when MPC-BE/MadVR launches a 4K UHD for playback at normal 24hz (standard film fps) the image goes full green and purple.

This issue is NOT present on 4K 60hz titles (such as Billy Lynn's long halftime walk) the HDR launches perfectly.

Also, if I force MadVR to use only 2160p 60hz mode and launch a 24hz UHD, the HDR also launches perfectly.

For some reason 60hz works perfectly for me but 23/24hz is giving me huge issues, that's where I'm at right now, please advise what to do now to fix this.
Someone else reported a similar experience in a nearby thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/2364113-guide-building-4k-htpc-madvr-103.html#post58327694

If this was caused by a Windows Update, you may have to roll back to a previous Windows build and wait for a fix. I have no idea what may have caused this. I'm sure there are some out there on the newest Windows Version that are watching HDR movies with HDR passthrough.

This is now to undo the last Windows build update:

https://www.howtogeek.com/235474/how-to-roll-back-builds-and-uninstall-updates-on-windows-10/

Before doing this, confirm you are on the latest Windows build:

Press the Windows Key + R;
Type winver into the Run dialog and hit Enter.

You should be on Windows Version 1809.

You could receive more information and feedback from other users by posting at the official madVR support forum at Doom9:

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146228

·
Registered
501 Posts

Someone else reported a similar experience in a nearby thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-h...-building-4k-htpc-madvr-103.html#post58327694

If this was caused by a Windows Update, you may have to roll back to a previous Windows build and wait for a fix. I have no idea what may have caused this. I'm sure there are some out there on the newest Windows Version that are watching HDR movies with HDR passthrough.

This is now to undo the last Windows build update:

https://www.howtogeek.com/235474/how-to-roll-back-builds-and-uninstall-updates-on-windows-10/

Before doing this, confirm you are on the latest Windows build:

Press the Windows Key + R;
Type winver into the Run dialog and hit Enter.

You should be on Version 1809.

You could receive more information and feedback from other users by posting at the official madVR support forum at Doom9:

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146228
Thanks for all your help Onky but I'm actually on Win 7 64.

The latest update in this saga gives us even more information: I bypassed my AVR entirely just to see what would happen, HTPC to the TV directly and....

24hz video played flawlessly every time.

I now have to consider that my AVR is the culprit. (Yamaha 681). I've been trying desperately to find legacy firmware that I can try to 'downgrade' the AVR with but it's virtually impossible to find.

The crazy thing is that the AVR has no problems passing [email protected] right now...which you'd think would take a lot more muscle than the 24hz signal that is giving me all the trouble.

Obviously I'm not 100% sure it's the AVR fault but that's where I'm leaning now. What are your thoughts ?

·
Registered
501 Posts
FINALLY.... I found some old FW for my reciever and viola ! All my playback problems have been solved. Now, unfortunately the FW I found is pre-Dolby Vision update firmware but it will do for now. Been racking my brains for 48 hours trying to fix this, so happy we were able to identify the root cause eventually thanks for your help Onky-bear.

If anybody reads this and has any idea where to find legacy Yamaha v681 firmware (they only list the newest broken FW on their site) I will gladly compensate with a few PayPal bucks to get a more recent version installed. I believe the one I have installed is 1.28, latest is 2.65(broken).

·
Registered
501 Posts
Just talked to Yamaha they gave me access to FW 2.60 gonna try that one later today

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Time and time again when diagnosing problems we always suggest using the KISS method and work your way up to find the culprit. This always begins with eliminating the AVR and going to direct to your display with any 6' cable and to test a file locally. Too many folks skip this essential starting point because it's harder than pounding a keyboard for answers and quickly choose to rub elbows with the riot mentality and look for something else easier to blame like Windows updates or the likes when in fact the majority are using the latest updates problem free.

·
Registered
501 Posts
FW 2.60 also broken, trying to get them to send me an even earlier one.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Chatting with tech support on and off all day... 2.56, 2.60 & 2.65 are all broken for me, 1.28 & 1.31 are working properly. Haven't tried any others.

He is elevating the bug report for me to try to get an answer.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Talked to Yamaha second level tech support today, he was convinced it's not a firmware issue even though their newer FW doesn't work and the older FW does. To me it just sounds like a bug they don't care to look into, kind of disappointed about that.

On that note does anybody have any AVR recommendations that work well for them using an HTPC ? He kept saying the 681 wasn't built for computer use but I think that's a bogus excuse, passing [email protected] should not matter what device it comes from it just needs to pass it properly imo.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Any modern 4K UHD receiver should be able to passthrough HDR10 content. Did it ever work with 12-bit RGB? Maybe 8-bit HDR trips it up.

Despite my name, I am currently using a Yamaha RX-V1073 receiver, but I'm not passing through HDR. I like it, but I prefer Audyssey room correction to YPAO, which is currently found in Denon and Marantz receivers.

Another option is to take a flyer on a cheaper box that can be returned like a Vero 4K running Kodi. For straight 4K passthrough, the image quality should be pretty similar.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
On that note does anybody have any AVR recommendations that work well for them using an HTPC ? He kept saying the 681 wasn't built for computer use but I think that's a bogus excuse, passing [email protected] should not matter what device it comes from it just needs to pass it properly imo.
I've used many generations of Yamaha from RX-A3020 all the way to RX-A3080. They all work well with a HTPC. Currently use the 3080 and have no problems with 4k24 HDR 8, 10, 12 bit, Dolby Vision, etc.

As long as you change the setting in the Advanced menu to allow full bandwidth HDMI 2.0 (4k mode 1 or 2 - forget which one you want). At some point they changed the default (3070 maybe) so you did not have to do this any longer.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Does anyone know how to get MPC-BE to use madvr? I added it as an external filter but still tone mapping. MPC classic works great

·
Registered
501 Posts
Does anyone know how to get MPC-BE to use madvr? I added it as an external filter but still tone mapping. MPC classic works great
In MPC-BE, right click >options>video>video processor> choose MadVR from the pull down menu.

Reactions: sjchmura

·
Registered
12 Posts
So, after all these years. Still no solution getting madvr to work with HDR in exclusive except installing old Nvidia drivers? Are there any other options?

Edit: I read the semi solution of not installing Nvidia sound. But an even smoother solution would ofc be preferred.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I didnt have this problem until a few months back. I used to not turn on HDR in windows at all, madvr would autoswitch my screen to HDR when proper content was played. Now this has changed; I need to switch the HDR on in windows. No problems after that though..

521 - 540 of 549 Posts