5,658 Posts
Nvidia has 8 10 and 12 bit

Rgb full and limited

Cycb (whatever ) 4:2:2 or 4:2:0

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Yes. You can choose 8,10, or 12

I have always had it set to 10 (my monitor is 10bit hdr1000 certifies).

Madvr stopped working sometime past month so not sure if new nvidia drivers broke it .

So I have
2160p
10bit
Rgb Full

And madvr is not triggering the display to go to hdr .

MADdening

·
Registered
24 Posts
So you can select 10 bit in the nvidia control panel?
Mine doesn't have 10 bit either, just 8 and 12 bits. People have said that you need to get the Studio driver (instead of the default Game-ready driver) in order to get 10 bit.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/265929/no-rgb420-10-bit-option/
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-graphics-cards/5/247620/gtx-1080-10bpc-output/

However, I did get the Studio driver and still don't see 10 bit. As a result, I just cannot get madVR to pass through HDR to the projector. So as of now, I'm sticking to 8-bit and tonemapping. It's a bit maddening.

I'm using Windows 10, BTW. I also read that Windows 10 does something weird to the fullscreen mode, which could be another reason why we cannot get 10-bit HDR passthrough.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
can you tell me the projector and the player you are using.

if you somehow found a projector that can't do HDR at 8 bit and 12 bit you somehow found bedrock.
you neither need FSE for 10 bit .

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
Yes. You can choose 8,10, or 12

I have always had it set to 10 (my monitor is 10bit hdr1000 certifies).

Madvr stopped working sometime past month so not sure if new nvidia drivers broke it .

So I have
2160p
10bit
Rgb Full

And madvr is not triggering the display to go to hdr .

MADdening
No RGB 10-bit option for me either. Just 8 and 12. Could it be the EDID from the connected display is not reporting support for RGB 10-bit?

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Must be. My philips hdr1000 certified monitor reports 8,10,12 (you can see this with the app from windows store “vesa displayHDR”

It’s free!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Try changing the color space in madVR to BT.709. The fault could be that your projector is selecting HDR mode because the input color space is BT.2020.

Thanks, I think I already did that too, but will try it again tonight

I'm not sure what you mean by "I enabled madMeasureHDR". I have never done that. Did you run that program for a reason? I have a very similar set up as you and have not had any problems. My RS540 is running just fine. I believe you have an issue and would like to help, if possible. Could you post a screen shot of your HDR tab madVR screen. I'm on 112b and running fine.

When I first installed madVR and the 112b Beta, the customization options on the HDR tab were very simple. Only when I executed the madMeasureHDR file, did all the other options appear (HSTM, Bightness adjustment speed, max sky, etc.) I am attaching my current settings.

Another thing I'm trying to figure out are the repeat frames which are terrible, every 5 minutes or so. The madVR display modes are matching the ones on the GPU, so maybe I have to work on the custom modes

Attachments

·
Registered
511 Posts
... When I first installed madVR and the 112b Beta, the customization options on the HDR tab were very simple. Only when I executed the madMeasureHDR file, did all the other options appear (HSTM, Bightness adjustment speed, max sky, etc.) I am attaching my current settings.

Another thing I'm trying to figure out are the repeat frames which are terrible, every 5 minutes or so. The madVR display modes are matching the ones on the GPU, so maybe I have to work on the custom modes
I see you also have a LG TV available for playback. That’s funny, I do too. Is your JVC and LG plugged into the same PC? And are you setting the HDR tab for the LG to “output video in HDR format”?

I know that I have had issues playing a HDR movie on the LG and then later turning my RS540 on and having it go into HDR mode when I play a 4K HDR movie that should be using (SDR2020) “tone map HDR using pixel shaders“. The fix for me was to always reboot the PC after playing 4K HDR on the LG. I think this is a madVR issue when switching between the two (different) display profiles (or maybe just a Windows HDR issue). I’m just shooting in the dark, here. (lol)

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,428 Posts
I'm on 418.91. Any benefit to going with 442.5 over the 418.91 that you know of? I just use it for MadVR.
The way I suggest you take driver updates is this. IF it's working, dont mess with it. After you're done updating, you'll have 1 of two scenarios:
1) It's still working the same.
2) It's not working as it was.

Doesn't seem like tons of benefit right?

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Or if there is a game the driver is needed. The performance improve in say raytracing and dls2.0 are insane

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
didn't even occur to me to check what drivers were installed for my nvidia card when i finished my new build, just let windows do it's thing... but after reading this thread i checked and discovered it's the 432.00 driver dated 07/24/2019, which is obviously older than the 442.5 driver.

everything seems to be running perfectly on my machine so i'm reluctant to update the driver, altho i haven't tried hdr passthrough with madvr, nor do i plan on using hdr passthrough, am perfectly happy with "tone map hdr using pixel shaders"... so is that the main reason folks here are switching to the 442.5 driver, for hdr passthrough, or are there other madvr and/or performance benefits? seems that most of these nvidia driver updates have to do with fixing bugs that impact games, no?

btw, for 3d, have any of you nvidia card users tried this fix out?

https://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=105&t=23752
https://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=105&t=23352

2221 - 2240 of 3040 Posts