AVS Forum banner

2641 - 2660 of 3444 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Was following the "improving" thread up until November or so last year (around the time there was that long pause in madvr development).

Wondering what the latest/greatest version and HDR histogram or whatever is to use?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
The LG is also reported in Displayspecification as 10bit (8bit+FRC):
Yes, I'm using custome mode in madVR with CVR Reduced Blanking v1 timing which is similar to the standard one.
385.28 is very old but it doesn't mess up modes and bit depths. Windows had silently updated on my back to a newer version and the 10bit was gone, I had to ddu and reinstall the 385.28. Maybe there are newer good versions too.

Thanks. I tried with CVT Reduced Blanking v1 too, but have the same problem - can't set 10 bits.
Actually, the custom modes don't survive a reboot also. They are just gone.
Slightly reluctant to use ddu as that means I have to recalibrate all 3 monitors.

Also, oddly, the release notes for nVidia drivers 385.28 don't show support for my GTX 960. That has to be a mistake. The GTX 960 came out in 2015, and those drivers are from 2017.

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/122543/en-us

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Thanks. I tried with CVT Reduced Blanking v1 too, but have the same problem - can't set 10 bits.
Actually, the custom modes don't survive a reboot also. They are just gone.
Slightly reluctant to use ddu as that means I have to recalibrate all 3 monitors.

Also, oddly, the release notes for nVidia drivers 385.28 don't show support for my GTX 960. That has to be a mistake. The GTX 960 came out in 2015, and those drivers are from 2017.

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/122543/en-us

Definitely a mistake, those drivers work on my GTX 960. I didn't use DDU, though. I just installed on top of the old one.

I am able to set RGB 10 bit in nVidia control panel. MC can play in 24p/RGB.

Unfortunately, after I reboot, the 24p mode is completely gone from NCP. And MC/MadVR plays 24p movies in 60p.

Same thing happens if I delete the custom mode in MadVR, recreate it, and then click "Reset GPU" in MadVR. Mode is gone from NCP.

I'm wondering how you managed to make the custom mode stick. The custom mode disappears whether I leave it at the default 8 bits or force it to 10 bits.

I have a full backup of OS that I can quickly restore with Acronis, so I'm going to use DDU and install 385.28 to see if the behavior is any different.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Maybe lastest drivers are buggy, I'm using a quite old version 385.28 and it stays 10 bpc all the time.
So far, I haven't been able to get custom modes to stick around after a reboot, even with drivers 385.28 . Actually, if I select a standard mode manually in NCP, the custom mode disappears also, no need to reboot to trigger that problem.

May I ask what version of Windows 10 you are using ? I'm running build 1909. You can get this by running winver.exe .

·
Registered
164 Posts
So far, I haven't been able to get custom modes to stick around after a reboot, even with drivers 385.28 . Actually, if I select a standard mode manually in NCP, the custom mode disappears also, no need to reboot to trigger that problem.

May I ask what version of Windows 10 you are using ? I'm running build 1909. You can get this by running winver.exe .
My Windows 10 Pro is version 1809. The card is Zotac GTX 1060 6gb. And I'm using PotPlayer with madVR 113.
What your Windows settings->Display->Advanced display settings shows ? It should be consistent with the NCP ->Change resolution settings. When the driver messed up they may show different things.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
My Windows 10 Pro is version 1809. The card is Zotac GTX 1060 6gb. And I'm using PotPlayer with madVR 113.
What your Windows settings->Display->Advanced display settings shows ? It should be consistent with the NCP ->Change resolution settings. When the driver messed up they may show different things.

I'm thinking the OS version might be accounting for the differences, not just driver version. I have spent too much time on it. I don't think I'm going to play too many movies on my desktop, so I'll just leave it alone at 60 Hz and 10 bits for now.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm thinking the OS version might be accounting for the differences, not just driver version. I have spent too much time on it. I don't think I'm going to play too many movies on my desktop, so I'll just leave it alone at 60 Hz and 10 bits for now.
Ya, too many things may affect the result. For me, although the monitor can reach 95% DCI-P3 but I don't have a meter to create a 3DLUT, so I have to set for BT.709.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello everyone. Currently I am using 1060 6gb GPU with Madvr for playing my 4k HDR movie rips. I see people even using 1030 or something and having no issue but I am getting hard time playing my 4k HDR movies with this card.

I mean do I need a better card? Right now I am using ngu high settings and if all other enhancements are off it works good with 33-34ms rendering time. But if I use even a single enhancement be it image enhancements or anything like ringing or artifact setting it starts dropping frames badly.

Suggestions or advice where I am going wrong or really 1060 6gb card is not enough to play 4k HDR movies with Madvr at high settings?

·
Registered
172 Posts
can some one help, I’m always having audio sync problems. I’m using jriver as my player and my htpc is connected to my pioneer elite avr

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hello everyone. Currently I am using 1060 6gb GPU with Madvr for playing my 4k HDR movie rips. I see people even using 1030 or something and having no issue but I am getting hard time playing my 4k HDR movies with this card.

I mean do I need a better card? Right now I am using ngu high settings and if all other enhancements are off it works good with 33-34ms rendering time. But if I use even a single enhancement be it image enhancements or anything like ringing or artifact setting it starts dropping frames badly.

Suggestions or advice where I am going wrong or really 1060 6gb card is not enough to play 4k HDR movies with Madvr at high settings?
If you followed the setup guides for 4K HDR 'high' settings, which in itself, has different options for 'high' then you would probably see they were running minimum of 1080Ti cards. That should provide you some guidance

·
Registered
316 Posts
can some one help, I’m always having audio sync problems. I’m using jriver as my player and my htpc is connected to my pioneer elite avr
Do you get sync issue with other players?
What's your render time in MadVR?

In JRiver -> Options -> Video -> Advanced, you can correct the A/V sync for different frame rates. It should be on 0 unless you have something in your chain that's introducing latency.

Also look at Options -> Audio -> Settings -> Play silence at startup for hardware synchronization, that should be none.

In MadVR check that you're using Full screen exclusive mode as that can help with sync issues (it did with me, but I might have been having other issues at the time)

Lastly, check your buffers. (Options -> Audio -> Audio Device -> Device Settings -> Buffering, Options -> Audio -> Settings -> Prebuffering)

·
Premium Member
3,937 Posts
Under "Trade Quality for Performance" ......... how much impact on the overall image does enabling Compromise on HDR luminance channel quality ?

Even with my 2080TI , Enabling/Disabling this has a dramatic effect on rendering times now .:eek:

Thanks..
Yes, I upgraded to a 2080TI (EVGA step up program) and that particular compromise still adds over 10 ms.

I found I can turn off that compromise if I use NGU Low for chroma. If I have the compromise turned on, I can use NGU High.

Note that because I use JRiver with menu support turned on, D3D11 copy back is used instead of native and that is an additional performance hit. Without menu support using D3D11 native, I can turn off that compromise and use NGU High chroma.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Do you get sync issue with other players?
What's your render time in MadVR?

In JRiver -> Options -> Video -> Advanced, you can correct the A/V sync for different frame rates. It should be on 0 unless you have something in your chain that's introducing latency.

Also look at Options -> Audio -> Settings -> Play silence at startup for hardware synchronization, that should be none.

In MadVR check that you're using Full screen exclusive mode as that can help with sync issues (it did with me, but I might have been having other issues at the time)

Lastly, check your buffers. (Options -> Audio -> Audio Device -> Device Settings -> Buffering, Options -> Audio -> Settings -> Prebuffering)

Ya I’ve had the same problem with 3 different players.

I’ll have to check those other settings and see what they’re at. In jriver I have to change it to around 190-220ms to be close to synced

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Having some issues with hdr settings.
Display has three gamma settings, measured at 2.0, 1.9, and 2.1: https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-q3279vwf/

As per the guide (https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=223175&page=37), setting gamma in madvr and display to the same value crushes blacks.
With display gamma set at 2.1 or 1.9, madvr has to be 2.5 to stop crushing blacks.

If you are getting the best black clipping with madVR set to 2.40, it can be acceptable to set the display gamma to 2.20. The 2.40 input will be pulled up by the 2.20 display curve, which will make the displayed image brighter as opposed to darker. To limit any raising of black or washed out images, you may compensate by reporting a higher real display peak nits to madVR. This is preferable to taking any output from madVR and making it any darker at the end display.

So the real nits should be increased (from 268). A lot of pixels are under 268 nits and not sure by how much they should be raised.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Having some issues with hdr settings.
Display has three gamma settings, measured at 2.0, 1.9, and 2.1: https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-q3279vwf/

As per the guide (https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=223175&page=37), setting gamma in madvr and display to the same value crushes blacks.
With display gamma set at 2.1 or 1.9, madvr has to be 2.5 to stop crushing blacks.

If you are getting the best black clipping with madVR set to 2.40, it can be acceptable to set the display gamma to 2.20. The 2.40 input will be pulled up by the 2.20 display curve, which will make the displayed image brighter as opposed to darker. To limit any raising of black or washed out images, you may compensate by reporting a higher real display peak nits to madVR. This is preferable to taking any output from madVR and making it any darker at the end display.

So the real nits should be increased (from 268). A lot of pixels are under 268 nits and not sure by how much they should be raised.
@Onkyoman do you have any ideas?

Increasing gamma in madvr to 2.5 washes out the image to a degree, color saturation goes down. The image is also kind of dim in a way.

Increasing Contrast in the display can help with that, but going over 58 blows the highlights, at least with 1000 nit masters.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Does madTPG trigger HDR for anyone? I'm not able to trigger HDR by pressing the HDR button. Normal movies in MPC BE play fine. On the latest Nvidia drivers on Windows 10 1903.

Edit: Multiple users have confirmed the issue. Needs a fix.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Missing MADVR Tone Mapping Options

Hey guys,

Trying to setup tone mapping for my JVC projector (RS540) via Kodi DSplayer and MADVR. Two oddities. If I try and setup HDR playback with my default windows color settings (IE RGB), my output image is bright pink (even if I change my projector input from auto to RGB). Switching to YCBR444 on both NVIDIA and my projector resolves the problem, but all the guides I’m reading are saying they should both be RGB. Is that something I should worry about?

Other issue is that under tone mapping in the MadVR settings, I seem to have a very limited set of options. If I choose “tone map with pixel Shaders” I can’t alter the target peak nits from 200 (if I do the change doesn’t stick).

Only options I have below that are:

tone mapping curve:
Color tweaks for fire (greyed out)
Highlight recovery strength (same)

Check boxes for measure each Frame’s peak luminance
Output video in HDR format.

What am I missing here?

·
Premium Member
3,937 Posts
Hey guys,

Trying to setup tone mapping for my JVC projector (RS540) via Kodi DSplayer and MADVR. Two oddities. If I try and setup HDR playback with my default windows color settings (IE RGB), my output image is bright pink (even if I change my projector input from auto to RGB). Switching to YCBR444 on both NVIDIA and my projector resolves the problem, but all the guides I’m reading are saying they should both be RGB. Is that something I should worry about?

Other issue is that under tone mapping in the MadVR settings, I seem to have a very limited set of options. If I choose “tone map with pixel Shaders” I can’t alter the target peak nits from 200 (if I do the change doesn’t stick).

Only options I have below that are:

tone mapping curve:
Color tweaks for fire (greyed out)
Highlight recovery strength (same)

Check boxes for measure each Frame’s peak luminance
Output video in HDR format.

What am I missing here?
These JVC eShift projectors have a bug where they are unable to process RGB 8-bit HDR. The result is known as the Magenta bug. RGB 12-bit will work.

RGB 8-bit tone mapped to SDR BT2020 will work as long as you don't have "Report BT2020 to display" enabled. For some reason MadVR includes HDR metadata when that option is enabled. That also causes the Magenta bug to surface.

Reactions: noob00224
2641 - 2660 of 3444 Posts