AVS Forum banner

2661 - 2680 of 3437 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
These JVC eShift projectors have a bug where they are unable to process RGB 8-bit HDR. The result is known as the Magenta bug. RGB 12-bit will work.

RGB 8-bit tone mapped to SDR BT2020 will work as long as you don't have "Report BT2020 to display" enabled. For some reason MadVR includes HDR metadata when that option is enabled. That also causes the Magenta bug to surface.
Thanks Claw; that’s a mystery solved. I realized that I was trying to lower the target nits down below 100 which the software won’t allow. I have an HDfury, so I can control whether the BT2020 flag will trigger HDR mode on my projector. Strangely though the software won’t keep the checkbox ticked for me (I want it checked so that I can specify that SDR BT2020 switches my projector to a custom iris setting for MadVR’s HDR tone mapping. Any idea why that might be?

·
Registered
600 Posts
These JVC eShift projectors have a bug where they are unable to process RGB 8-bit HDR. The result is known as the Magenta bug. RGB 12-bit will work.

RGB 8-bit tone mapped to SDR BT2020 will work as long as you don't have "Report BT2020 to display" enabled. For some reason MadVR includes HDR metadata when that option is enabled. That also causes the Magenta bug to surface.
So can you use “output video in HDR format” in madVR to an e-shift JVC and get expected results (no Magenta bug?) if you un-check “report Bt.2020...” I’ve never had good results with this. Always got the Magenta bug. And hard to recover from!

And how do I set RGB 12-bit, in Nvidia CP? Was only able to get 8-bit to work and stick.
Thanks, Claw.:)

edit: I'm beginning to think you should never check "Report BT2020 to display". What is this option good for anyway?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
So I was doing a bit of reading on madVR for OLED thread over at doom9 forum... one user said to use Wide color gamut (LG C9) and in madVR use DCI-P3 instead of BT2020. I don't understand why and how this should be the case?

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
@filmgeek47 are you using a beta version of madvr?

Also take a screenshot of trade quality for performance tab.

Thanks, it worked out fine after using a different .bin file of the same update. I don't know why because I picked the one I used originally from the European Epson website.

Installed my ALR screen yesterday and it looked good while watching Guardian of the Galaxy. The only issue is that I am still struggling with finding the right HDR config for Windows, currently using Madvr. It's either too dim or too bright so I find myself altering the HDR setting per movie.

HDR on my PS4 looks great out of the box.
Post a screenshot of HDR in madvr.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
is 112b (v0.92.17) still the latest madvr build availbale? iirc someone recently mentioned a 113 version in the "improving madvr hdr to sdr mapping for projector" thread but i didn't see any discussion about it, altho i did see a madvr screen grabs that showed a "dark" version of madvr (is that 113?)... in the same thread madshi also mentioned that a new version was due out any time now, his post was dated 06/07 and he mentioned that it would likely drop by the end of the week? the version i'm using has "v0.92.17" in the bottom left-hand corner which i believe is 112b? and info would be appreciated!

·
Registered
947 Posts
is 112b (v0.92.17) still the latest madvr build availbale? iirc someone recently mentioned a 113 version in the "improving madvr hdr to sdr mapping for projector" thread but i didn't see any discussion about it, altho i did see a madvr screen grabs that showed a "dark" version of madvr (is that 113?)... in the same thread madshi also mentioned that a new version was due out any time now, his post was dated 06/07 and he mentioned that it would likely drop by the end of the week? the version i'm using has "v0.92.17" in the bottom left-hand corner which i believe is 112b? and info would be appreciated!
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/2954506-improving-madvr-hdr-sdr-mapping-projector.html

This is the thread with all the information (but it now has almost 10,000 posts).

It's very confusing because everything beyond the "real" 92.17 is a "test version" (NOT "beta" as most people refer to it). madshi has given each of these test versions a "version number" without changing the version displayed, so all the test versions that follow 92.17 will still show 92.17. The only way to determine for sure which version you have is to compare the dates on the files you have to the dates on the files in one of the distributions. 113 is the latest version but it has a bug in smooth motion so some people use 112b.

Note that none of these test versions are really intended for general distribution (even though many people use them successfully in daily use). The actual intent is for very experienced users to report back to madshi on specific points. In many cases, "features" in these test versions were never intended to be in a final release.

·
Registered
362 Posts
@filmgeek47 are you using a beta version of madvr?

Also take a screenshot of trade quality for performance tab.

Post a screenshot of HDR in madvr.
Will do when I’m back in front of my pc. Question though... what options should my projector be set to when using HDR to SDR? I’ve got my JVC RS540 set to Bt2020 color, SDR gamma 2.4 HDR color profile. With this setup, I noticed that colors look washed out unless I change the MadVR calibration setting from power log 2.4 to 709 2.4 gamma. Any idea why that might be?

·
Premium Member
3,927 Posts
So can you use “output video in HDR format” in madVR to an e-shift JVC and get expected results (no Magenta bug?) if you un-check “report Bt.2020...” I’ve never had good results with this. Always got the Magenta bug. And hard to recover from!

And how do I set RGB 12-bit, in Nvidia CP? Was only able to get 8-bit to work and stick.
Thanks, Claw.:)

edit: I'm beginning to think you should never check "Report BT2020 to display". What is this option good for anyway?
No. It seems to be related to receiving HDR metadata.

So sending HDR format will always include metadata which will trigger the bug.

Sending SDR BT2020 and Report BT2020 to display will also send metadata and trigger the bug.

Sending SDR BT2020 and do not report BT2020 does not trigger the bug.

There was discussion in the Improving tone mapping for projectors thread about this Report BT2020 option as to whether it should include metadata or not. I believe it was some OLED owners that needed metadata to be included.

In Nvidia control panel, I initially choose RGB 8-bit and apply. That seems to add the 12-bit option and I apply again after making the change to 12-bit. I understand that some are able to select RGB 10-bit which is never an option for me. So maybe it depends on the display device capabilities.

Reactions: catav

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/2954506-improving-madvr-hdr-sdr-mapping-projector-286.html#post59127786

Will do when I’m back in front of my pc. Question though... what options should my projector be set to when using HDR to SDR? I’ve got my JVC RS540 set to Bt2020 color, SDR gamma 2.4 HDR color profile. With this setup, I noticed that colors look washed out unless I change the MadVR calibration setting from power log 2.4 to 709 2.4 gamma. Any idea why that might be?
Maybe ask a JVC owner. This issue was discussed on this thread, @DavidinGA 's posts.

It may have to do with other settings, which also have to be set correctly:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/3127778-madvr-hdr-settings.html

Take a screenshot of the HDR page in madvr.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
yes, the test versions make it a bit confusing, just double checked and i've been using 113 with the broken smooth motion or, better put, 113 which crashes when smooth motion is enabled... used 112b a while back but 113 automated a lot in the hdr section, i.e. drop down options for contrast recovery, which has worked very well for me... already checked out the the thread you linked to, also referenced it in my previous post, seemed that there was a screenshot of a "dark mode" version in that thread, which made me wonder if this was the newest test version, post 113, or if a "dark mode" was an option in 113 that i just hadn't seen/found... also, madshi mentions in that thread that a new test version is abut ready to drop any day now, wanted to make sure that it hadn't already been released and i missed it....

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/2954506-improving-madvr-hdr-sdr-mapping-projector.html

This is the thread with all the information (but it now has almost 10,000 posts).

It's very confusing because everything beyond the "real" 92.17 is a "test version" (NOT "beta" as most people refer to it). madshi has given each of these test versions a "version number" without changing the version displayed, so all the test versions that follow 92.17 will still show 92.17. The only way to determine for sure which version you have is to compare the dates on the files you have to the dates on the files in one of the distributions. 113 is the latest version but it has a bug in smooth motion so some people use 112b.

Note that none of these test versions are really intended for general distribution (even though many people use them successfully in daily use). The actual intent is for very experienced users to report back to madshi on specific points. In many cases, "features" in these test versions were never intended to be in a final release.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
yes, the tests versions make it a bit confusing, just double checked and i've been using 113 with the broken smooth motion or, better put, 113 which crashes when smooth motion is enabled... used 112b a while back but 113 automated a lot in the hdr section, i.e. drop down options for contrast recovery, which has worked very well for me... already checked out the the thread you linked to, also referenced it in my previous post, seemed that there was a screenshot of a "dark mode" version in that thread, which made me wonder if this was the newest test version, post 113, or if a "dark mode" was an option in 113 that i just hadn't seen/found... also, madshi mentions in that thread that a new test version is abut ready to drop any day now, wanted to make sure that it hadn't already been released and i missed it....
The dark mode madvr is not related to madvr, it's some color scheme. Ask @chros73 or search for his posts.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
In Nvidia control panel, I initially choose RGB 8-bit and apply. That seems to add the 12-bit option and I apply again after making the change to 12-bit. I understand that some are able to select RGB 10-bit which is never an option for me. So maybe it depends on the display device capabilities.

Yes. You can select RGB 10-bit and 4K/60 on some 4K PC monitors using DisplayPort. Don't think any projector or AVR supports that.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Guys, question about tone mapping. I've just switched from custom curves to DTM, and while I'm mostly in awe, I miss some of the punch I had from brighter spectral highlights in the curves I was using. If I want to boost the highlights and dim the rest of the image a bit, should I just goose the display nits value, or is there a better way?

·
Premium Member
3,927 Posts
Guys, question about tone mapping. I've just switched from custom curves to DTM, and while I'm mostly in awe, I miss some of the punch I had from brighter spectral highlights in the curves I was using. If I want to boost the highlights and dim the rest of the image a bit, should I just goose the display nits value, or is there a better way?
The real display peak nits should reflect your actual value.

If you have set dynamic target nits too low, you will get a brighter picture at the cost of losing some HDR effect. Try raising the the dynamic target nits a bit.

I have real nits set to 100 and dynamic target nits set to 90 with a 118 diagonal 16:9 screen. I will never go back to custom curves.

Reactions: noob00224

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi,

If I'm using the madvr for tone map HDR using pixel shader should I check the "Output Video in HDR format".

At my JVC 5900 PJ which Picture Mode, Color Profile and Gamma should be selected.

Thanks
Marcus

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
So did you find out if you're using a beta or the old version?

But you're doing something wrong if the image is not better than custom curves.

Hi,

If I'm using the madvr for tone map HDR using pixel shader should I check the "Output Video in HDR format".

At my JVC 5900 PJ which Picture Mode, Color Profile and Gamma should be selected.

Thanks
Marcus

No.

Check the previous page for more details.

·
Premium Member
3,927 Posts
Hi,

Thanks
Marcus
I would not since then the JVC would also have to tone map the HDR it receives. I don't and have my JVC RS500 set to BT2020 color profile and Gamma 2.4. My older JVC does not have picture modes like yours does.

·
Registered
362 Posts

No.

I solved my first issue (you were right I wasn’t on the beta). It definitely does look better overall than my curves, but the specular highlights have lost a bit of pop. Gonna play with it again today, but it doesn’t seem like the dynamic target nits setting does much no matter what I set it to...

·
Registered
114 Posts

No.

I solved my first issue (you were right I wasn’️t on the beta). It definitely does look better overall than my curves, but the specular highlights have lost a bit of pop. Gonna play with it again today, but it doesn’️t seem like the dynamic target nits setting does much no matter what I set it to...
Let me know your findings. I also have got rs540.

And after using MadVr pixel shader tone mapping for a while I found the JVC build in curve after some tuning better overall. Better brightness and much better hdr (high bright elements of the picture really pop like car lights in the dark). Many people is wowing on Madvr dynamic tone mapping but I prefer JVC build-in and tuned curve.

I am on 150 inch screen by the way.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
is it possible to set up a keyboard shortcut for the madvr settings screen, so that when a movie is playing the shortcut will display the madvr screen over the movie? for some reason i thought i had this working many moons back but can't figure out how i did it, then again maybe i;m misremembering...

2661 - 2680 of 3437 Posts