AVS Forum banner

2681 - 2700 of 3439 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
is it possible to set up a keyboard shortcut for the madvr settings screen, so that when a movie is playing the shortcut will display the madvr screen over the movie? for some reason i thought i had this working many moons back but can't figure out how i did it, then again maybe i;m misremembering...
ctrl+s

Verstuurd vanaf mijn OnePlus 7T Pro met Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
similar to my previous question, is there a way to create a (windows 10) desktop shortcut that when clicked will launch the madvr settings screen, or perhaps a batch file that can be used? i have madvr running in the background at all times, and its icon is hidden in the system tray, in order to launch the madvr settings screen (without a movie playing) i have to open the system tray, right click the madvr icon, and then select edit madvr settings...

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
I solved my first issue (you were right I wasn’t on the beta). It definitely does look better overall than my curves, but the specular highlights have lost a bit of pop. Gonna play with it again today, but it doesn’t seem like the dynamic target nits setting does much no matter what I set it to...
It should.

Take a screenshot of the madvr hdr page, calibration, and color&gamma.

Same for @Dilema, the settings need to be adjusted properly.

is it possible to set up a keyboard shortcut for the madvr settings screen, so that when a movie is playing the shortcut will display the madvr screen over the movie? for some reason i thought i had this working many moons back but can't figure out how i did it, then again maybe i;m misremembering...

You mean the OSD? It's Ctrl+J. There is no Ctrl+S biding in madvr.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,007 Posts
Let me know your findings. I also have got rs540.

And after using MadVr pixel shader tone mapping for a while I found the JVC build in curve after some tuning better overall. Better brightness and much better hdr (high bright elements of the picture really pop like car lights in the dark). Many people is wowing on Madvr dynamic tone mapping but I prefer JVC build-in and tuned curve.

I am on 150 inch screen by the way.
There's absolutely no comparison between the static built in curves on the JVC and dynamic tone mapping. You guys realize that Javs is one of the guys that created those curves for the RS540 and he literally dumped them all for the madVR tone mapping, right? If you guys are finding the curves to be better or brighter than you clearly have major problems in your madVR setup.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,007 Posts
similar to my previous question, is there a way to create a (windows 10) desktop shortcut that when clicked will launch the madvr settings screen, or perhaps a batch file that can be used? i have madvr running in the background at all times, and its icon is hidden in the system tray, in order to launch the madvr settings screen (without a movie playing) i have to open the system tray, right click the madvr icon, and then select edit madvr settings...

Yes, there is, if your madvr icon is present in the tray then:
"madHcCtrl.exe editLocalSettings" will bring up the window. If the icon is not in the tray, the following bat file will bring up the window:

madHcCtrl.exe
madHcCtrl.exe editLocalSettings

You could create the above bat file then create a shortcut to it on your desktop.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Let me know your findings. I also have got rs540.

And after using MadVr pixel shader tone mapping for a while I found the JVC build in curve after some tuning better overall. Better brightness and much better hdr (high bright elements of the picture really pop like car lights in the dark). Many people is wowing on Madvr dynamic tone mapping but I prefer JVC build-in and tuned curve.

I am on 150 inch screen by the way.
There's absolutely no comparison between the static built in curves on the JVC and dynamic tone mapping. You guys realize that Javs is one of the guys that created those curves for the RS540 and he literally dumped them all for the madVR tone mapping, right? If you guys are finding the curves to be better or brighter than you clearly have major problems in your madVR setup.
No. I am not using Javs. Have them loaded but DTM looked better. I am talking about built in ST curve. It’s brighter (after adjustments) and has better hdr pop than pixel shader tone mapping to me. Spent hundreds of hours on playing with all of that and found it best that way to me. What also is great with ST curve and hdr passtrough to projector is that it automatically switches to hdr mode and high lamp once uhd movie is on. With Pixel shader tonne mapping I needed always to use remote to switch to right mode.

·
Registered
9,007 Posts
No. I am not using Javs. Have them loaded but DTM looked better. I am talking about built in ST curve. It’s brighter (after adjustments) and has better hdr pop than pixel shader tone mapping to me. Spent hundreds of hours on playing with all of that and found it best that way to me. What also is great with ST curve and hdr passtrough to projector is that it automatically switches to hdr mode and high lamp once uhd movie is on. With Pixel shader tonne mapping I needed always to use remote to switch to right mode.
First, javs' curves existed to solve the problem with the stock built in ST curves (the ones you seem to love) because they were too dark and crappy. Then the DTM was written explicitly for projectors to solve the problems associated with these curves. JVC tests their screens and curves on about a 100" image so that's why their curves are so damned dark. You can always achieve better results with madVR DTM over the built in curves. There are no curves in the world you can load to be better than DTM since DTM is dynamic. Also, madVR supports JVC Ip control so it could switch your projector automatically without needing to use the remote. The DTM is a dramatic improvement over the built in ST curves in JVC projectors. So if you're not getting those results, then you clearly don't have things configured well - regardless of of the fact that you "spent hundreds of hours playing with all that". It's quite possible to spend hundreds of hours and not get things setup right - just like it's possible to spend 30 mins and get it right.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am on projectors and Madvr over 15 years so I think I know what I am doing. Javs curves are not as bright as ST curve in my set up. Actually there is a easily visible gap. Also I would not call DTM a dramatic improvement. At least in my set up. Not sure what else should I try to make it look better. Remember that ST curve can be tuned via gamma button on remote while Javs and other external curves can’t. Also maybe you right that Madvr is able to switch the projector to hdr mode but you need another cable to projector when for me is not an option.

Anyways filmgeek47 has similar observations so I am looking forward to hear from him if he found out the way to use DTM and not loosing the pop of highlights which is achievable on ST curve.

Maybe my impression is also that I have really big screen and thus I need to adjust gamma main slider quite way right 13-14 for most movies and less for 4000 nits movies sometimes.

Maybe I should use some special settings on Madvr. I am now on 113b version. Have 150 inch screen and rs540. Do you have any suggestion how it should be set up to make very nice pop on hdr dynamics ?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I am on projectors and Madvr over 15 years so I think I know what I am doing. Javs curves are not as bright as ST curve in my set up. Actually there is a easily visible gap. Also I would not call DTM a dramatic improvement. At least in my set up. Not sure what else should I try to make it look better. Remember that ST curve can be tuned via gamma button on remote while Javs and other external curves can’t. Also maybe you right that Madvr is able to switch the projector to hdr mode but you need another cable to projector when for me is not an option.

Anyways filmgeek47 has similar observations so I am looking forward to hear from him if he found out the way to use DTM and not loosing the pop of highlights which is achievable on ST curve.

Maybe my impression is also that I have really big screen and thus I need to adjust gamma main slider quite way right 13-14 for most movies and less for 4000 nits movies sometimes.

Maybe I should use some special settings on Madvr. I am now on 113b version. Have 150 inch screen and rs540. Do you have any suggestion how it should be set up to make very nice pop on hdr dynamics ?

Try setting target nits and dynamic tuning both to 50 and dynamic clipping to 100. Then on color & gamma tab enable gamma processing and set it to 2.40.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Yes, there is, if your madvr icon is present in the tray then:
"madHcCtrl.exe editLocalSettings" will bring up the window. If the icon is not in the tray, the following bat file will bring up the window:

madHcCtrl.exe
madHcCtrl.exe editLocalSettings

You could create the above bat file then create a shortcut to it on your desktop.
Hey, Mark...

Great post. But, where did you learn the prgm input of *editLocalSettings*? Is that in some doc?

Any other input parms useful? :)

·
Registered
9,007 Posts
Hey, Mark...

Great post. But, where did you learn the prgm input of *editLocalSettings*? Is that in some doc?

Any other input parms useful? :)
I ran a video then hit ctrl + s then went into task manager and made sure show command line was ticked and read the command line used to launch the GUI:)

·
Registered
362 Posts
It should.

Take a screenshot of the madvr hdr page, calibration, and color&gamma.

Same for @Dilema, the settings need to be adjusted properly.

You mean the OSD? It's Ctrl+J. There is no Ctrl+S biding in madvr.
Screenshots attached. As mentioned, Dynamic nits doesn't seem to be doing anything at all in my setup (at least I haven't seen a difference between setting it to 10, 90, or even unchecking it altogether. Seems like something's not right.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Screenshots attached. As mentioned, Dynamic nits doesn't seem to be doing anything at all in my setup (at least I haven't seen a difference between setting it to 10, 90, or even unchecking it altogether. Seems like something's not right.
Is the actual nits off the screen 100?

The dynamic range can go higher, try 100-200.

I don't believe report bt2020 to display should be ticked.

If the gamma of the projector is set at 2.4, then it should be that in madvr as well, ideally.
Guide for gamma setting:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=223175&page=37

Check disable average highlights.

I'm not sure how the details of sky strength, maybe someone who does can comment.

2681 - 2700 of 3439 Posts