AVS Forum banner

2701 - 2720 of 3439 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Screenshots attached. As mentioned, Dynamic nits doesn't seem to be doing anything at all in my setup (at least I haven't seen a difference between setting it to 10, 90, or even unchecking it altogether. Seems like something's not right.
Is the actual nits off the screen 100?

The dynamic range can go higher, try 100-200.

I don't believe report bt2020 to display should be ticked.

If the gamma of the projector is set at 2.4, then it should be that in madvr as well, ideally.
Guide for gamma setting:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=223175&page=37

Check disable average highlights.

I'm not sure how the details of sky strength, maybe someone who does can comment.
Technically it measures 98, but close enough. I’ve tried setting dynamic nits all the way up to 200 but saw no change at all in the image.

I checked Report BT2020 b/c I have a had fury box that triggers my picture mode, so it needs to see it as SDR BT2020.

Gamma setting matches the SDR gamma I have set.

What should I be seeing when I adjust dynamic nits? Because if I’m supposed to see the image get brighter or darker I’m not seeing that. Seems like something’s broken.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Technically it measures 98, but close enough. I’ve tried setting dynamic nits all the way up to 200 but saw no change at all in the image.

I checked Report BT2020 b/c I have a had fury box that triggers my picture mode, so it needs to see it as SDR BT2020.

Gamma setting matches the SDR gamma I have set.

What should I be seeing when I adjust dynamic nits? Because if I’m supposed to see the image get brighter or darker I’m not seeing that. Seems like something’s broken.
You mentioned previously that gamma is set at 2.4 from the projector.

But how did you measure the nits off the screen?

Maybe take a OSD screenshot, but there should be a difference.

Add two empty folder to the madvr folder, you can remove them afterwards:
ShowHdrMode
ShowRenderSteps

It could be that the fury box is interfering. Try connecting the source directly to the projector. Something is not set up correctly.

·
Registered
362 Posts

ShowHdrMode
ShowRenderSteps

It could be that the fury box is interfering. Try connecting the source directly to the projector. Something is not set up correctly.
Nits measurement was taken with a colorimeter and confirmed with a light meter. I changed the projector gamma to 2.2 since I posted that.

I’ll try the steps you mentioned tomorrow, although I don’t see how the fury could affect madVR’s output.

·
Registered
362 Posts

ShowHdrMode
ShowRenderSteps

So I think I was using the wrong content to evaluate the dynamic nits target’s effect. Pulling up some different clips I was able to see an improvement. Ended up setting it at 200 with my actual nits set accurately as 98. Looks pretty great.

Are most people still using the neo xp high contrast recovery curve, or is there something better that’s more popular. With my current settings I have noticed some visible flickering/brightness shifts in certain challenging shots (pan across a sunset, etc).

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
So I think I was using the wrong content to evaluate the dynamic nits target’s effect. Pulling up some different clips I was able to see an improvement. Ended up setting it at 200 with my actual nits set accurately as 98. Looks pretty great.

Are most people still using the neo xp high contrast recovery curve, or is there something better that’s more popular. With my current settings I have noticed some visible flickering/brightness shifts in certain challenging shots (pan across a sunset, etc).
You were probably looking at a scene that was under 100 nits.

When you have your madVR set to 100 nits peak, it means that any scenes that are under 100 nits will not be tone-mapped.

This means HSTM does nothing, and Dynamic Target Nits does nothing to those scenes.

madVR in general is trying to faithfully display the source, so when it doesn't have to tone-map it simply doesn't.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
you're a star, perfect... for those wanting to do this, and aren't aware of this shortcut .bat trick, once the .bat shortcut is created right click on it, select properties, and from the "run" dropdown list select minimized - this prevents the ugly cmd window from showing at all, works much better than @echo off...

Yes, there is, if your madvr icon is present in the tray then:
"madHcCtrl.exe editLocalSettings" will bring up the window. If the icon is not in the tray, the following bat file will bring up the window:

madHcCtrl.exe
madHcCtrl.exe editLocalSettings

You could create the above bat file then create a shortcut to it on your desktop.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts

Try some other curves. This was discussed on the development, can't remember exactly which curves don't flicker.

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts

Quite a few of us are using Log Conservative (Neo-XP), at least for now, as it doesn't have the flicker issue that hopefully will be resolved.

Reactions: filmgeek47

·
Registered
609 Posts
Quite a few of us are using Log Conservative (Neo-XP), at least for now, as it doesn't have the flicker issue that hopefully will be resolved.
Hey, claw.. I see you are using an EVGA RTX-2080 Ti. What's your feelings about this GPU. Did it improve your madVR experience? Any noticeable changes? :)

·
Registered
362 Posts
I’ve asked this elsewhere, but as this is related to MadVR performance, are people with dynamic irises generally using high lamp, full open for max brightness, or stopping down for enhanced intraframe contrast?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I’ve asked this elsewhere, but as this is related to MadVR performance, are people with dynamic irises generally using high lamp, full open for max brightness, or stopping down for enhanced intraframe contrast?

Personally I use high bulb and close down my iris manually to increase contrast.

I do so because I have enough brightness on high even with my iris closed pretty far and also I don’t put that many hours on my projector in a year.

Also I have some sound dampening around my projector to quiet the high bulb fan noise.

Closing my Iris down on my JVC NX5 increases me from about 20K:1 open to 30K:1 at -10 iris.

Seems worth it to me.

·
Registered
609 Posts
JVC RS540: Low lamp, manual iris -3, plenty of brightness (18fL) on 143” scope @ 500 hrs, longer lasting lamp and quieter fan. HDR tab: tone map HDR using pixel shaders, target nits @ 65. SDR2020, Natural, 2.4 gamma. No need for high lamp for me (so far).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Screen config and JVC lens memory

Hello everyone, through the function "activate lens memory" in the "screen config" panel I can command the zoom of my JVC N5 to set it in the correct AR depending on whether the movie is in 16:9 or 21:9. I do not find a way to make the JVC lens return to its default position at the end of the film. Has anyone ever tried and found a solution?

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Hey, claw.. I see you are using an EVGA RTX-2080 Ti. What's your feelings about this GPU. Did it improve your madVR experience? Any noticeable changes? :)
It seemed to help copy back performance. I use full disc menus so I can't use native. Otherwise not much difference from my original 2080 Super.

The Ti runs cooler under load. The Super would get to 80 degrees, I haven't seen my Ti reach 70 yet.

I used the EVGA step-up program to apply the full cost of the Super towards the 2080Ti exchange.

Reactions: catav

·
Registered
8 Posts
MadVR dropping frames more in PotPlayer + more

I'm trying to get MadVR working in PotPlayer, I'm at stock settings but it keeps dropping frames and for the life of me I don't know why. It's stuttering more on PotPlayer than on MPC-HC.

Motherboard - ASUS Prime Z390-A
CPU- Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz
GPU - Zotac NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB
RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15

No matter what settings I have it's just not playing back right. Happens on all files too. When I play any file in PotPlayer with the MadVR renderer it cuts the framerate in half for some reason.

I also seem to be getting some stuttering when I play anything on another monitor that isn't my main. Anyone know what's up with that?

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
I'm trying to get MadVR working in PotPlayer, I'm at stock settings but it keeps dropping frames and for the life of me I don't know why. It's stuttering more on PotPlayer than on MPC-HC.

Motherboard - ASUS Prime Z390-A
CPU- Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz
GPU - Zotac NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB
RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15

No matter what settings I have it's just not playing back right. Happens on all files too. When I play any file in PotPlayer with the MadVR renderer it cuts the framerate in half for some reason.

I also seem to be getting some stuttering when I play anything on another monitor that isn't my main. Anyone know what's up with that?
Take a screenshot with the OSD.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Take a screenshot with the OSD.

I have a vid of the issue, if that makes it better.

mpc might look a bit choppy but thats probably because im watching on a 165hz monitor and recording at 60fps, but i think you can get the jest of it, mpc is playing it back at full framerate where potplayer plays it at half the framerate

edit: i tested today and it seems to be playing back at full fps, however when I play interlaced content it's not deinterlacing some files in potplayer. it's deinterlacing in mpc so i don't know what's up

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
I have a vid of the issue, if that makes it better.

mpc might look a bit choppy but thats probably because im watching on a 165hz monitor and recording at 60fps, but i think you can get the jest of it, mpc is playing it back at full framerate where potplayer plays it at half the framerate

edit: i tested today and it seems to be playing back at full fps, however when I play interlaced content it's not deinterlacing some files in potplayer. it's deinterlacing in mpc so i don't know what's up

Deinterlacing should not be affected by the choice between mpc and potplayer. It's up to LAV or madvr.
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=259188

·
Registered
8 Posts
Deinterlacing should not be affected by the choice between mpc and potplayer. It's up to LAV or madvr.
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=259188

well I have madvr on for both players and it's not deinterlacing on potplayer on most files. mpc is fine, i even disabled all formats for lav and it still works fine in mpc. so i don't get it. edit: scratch that had deinterlacing settings wrong in potplayer, thought i changed it :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Is there a way, such as a keyboard shortcut, to toggle between devices? I have an LG E9, NX7, and RS500 running on the same PC. The only that I know to switch is to drag and drop the device identification into another.

2701 - 2720 of 3439 Posts