AVS Forum banner

3401 - 3420 of 3486 Posts

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
So that means i could use an JVC pj in low lamp mode with DTM HDR content.
As far as i know when using JVCs own HDR mode the pj always goes in high lamp mode and i want it as quiet as possible.
That would be awesome as i'm looking for a new pj at the moment. :)
Correct, low lamp mode.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hello,
@Gorlag : you can still set low lamp mode in the JVC in HDR mode. It just remembers what lamp mode was used previous time it received a HDR picture. My X5000 did that and my current N5 does that too.

I have been trying to fix a huge problem with MadVR since a few days. All colors are way off red extremely red, green extremely green, yellow extremely yellow etc. when MadVR pixel shader mapping is used.

I had Kodi/Dsplayer 17.6 with an older nvidia driver on windows 10 1803 or 1809. It ran fine for at least a year. MadVR 086 in the beginning but the past +- 9 months version 113.
So I decided to upgrade Windows 10 to 1909, Kodi/DS 17.7, latest Lav 0.74 like delivered with Kodi 17.7. Windows update gave me a bad nvidia driver I am reading about here and there. So my HDR mode on OS level kicked in whenever I started a HDR file. So I upgraded nvidia driver to latest 456.38 WHQL, now the OS HDR mode stays nicely off.

Nvidia control panel : use nvidia color, desktop 32bit, output 8it, RGB Full, custom resolution made for 3840x2160/23.976

When I play a HDR file the picture looks completely overshot, unwatchable. This also shows in the ctrl-j histogram with huge peaks in certain colors.
When I set MadVR to output HDR as HDR (so no pixel shader mapping) then the JVC N5 FA HDR kicks in and the picture looks fine again.
When Kodi is in this bad mode with overshot video, the GUI also looks overly bright. Also SDR files play at this moment look badly overshot. I need to close Kodi and start it again then SDR looks fine again.
I am using 3D LUT calibration in Kodi, 1x for SDR/709 and 1x for SDR/rec2020 mode. I switch automatically with the if (HDR) ... profile choices.

I have tried kodi -> settings, system settings - display full screen window mode on or off but it does not change anything.

If I run MPC-HC which is also installed (and will use MadVR) the HDR video in windowed mode looks OK, but once it is full screen the bad colors appear.
I went back to MadVR 086 : problem is the same.

Full chain : HTPC Intel i3-7100, 16GB, RTX2060, Arcam Av860, HD Fury vertex in switch mode (not setting any parameters, just matrix switching) -> JVC N5 (second output of Fury to Sony XF9005 TV which is not active)

See attached screen photo showing how bad it looks.

Does anyone have any clue about how to fix this?

##Edit : I read on doom 9 that newer hotfix driver is available : • 456.71 2020-10-02
Does anyone know where to get this? Found it, tried it, did not fix it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Reactions: riwi

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Hello,
@Gorlag : you can still set low lamp mode in the JVC in HDR mode. It just remembers what lamp mode was used previous time it received a HDR picture. My X5000 did that and my current N5 does that too.

I have been trying to fix a huge problem with MadVR since a few days. All colors are way off red extremely red, green extremely green, yellow extremely yellow etc. when MadVR pixel shader mapping is used.

I had Kodi/Dsplayer 17.6 with an older nvidia driver on windows 10 1803 or 1809. It ran fine for at least a year. MadVR 086 in the beginning but the past +- 9 months version 113.
So I decided to upgrade Windows 10 to 1909, Kodi/DS 17.7, latest Lav 0.74 like delivered with Kodi 17.7. Windows update gave me a bad nvidia driver I am reading about here and there. So my HDR mode on OS level kicked in whenever I started a HDR file. So I upgraded nvidia driver to latest 456.38 WHQL, now the OS HDR mode stays nicely off.

Nvidia control panel : use nvidia color, desktop 32bit, output 8it, RGB Full, custom resolution made for 3840x2160/23.976

When I play a HDR file the picture looks completely overshot, unwatchable. This also shows in the ctrl-j histogram with huge peaks in certain colors.
When I set MadVR to output HDR as HDR (so no pixel shader mapping) then the JVC N5 FA HDR kicks in and the picture looks fine again.
When Kodi is in this bad mode with overshot video, the GUI also looks overly bright. Also SDR files play at this moment look badly overshot. I need to close Kodi and start it again then SDR looks fine again.
I am using 3D LUT calibration in Kodi, 1x for SDR/709 and 1x for SDR/rec2020 mode. I switch automatically with the if (HDR) ... profile choices.

I have tried kodi -> settings, system settings - display full screen window mode on or off but it does not change anything.

If I run MPC-HC which is also installed (and will use MadVR) the HDR video in windowed mode looks OK, but once it is full screen the bad colors appear.
I went back to MadVR 086 : problem is the same.

Full chain : HTPC Intel i3-7100, 16GB, RTX2060, Arcam Av860, HD Fury vertex in switch mode (not setting any parameters, just matrix switching) -> JVC N5 (second output of Fury to Sony XF9005 TV which is not active)

See attached screen photo showing how bad it looks.

Does anyone have any clue about how to fix this?

##Edit : I read on doom 9 that newer hotfix driver is available : • 456.71 2020-10-02
Does anyone know where to get this? Found it, tried it, did not fix it.
Do you have "Desaturate 1+2" selected?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I took the nvidia driver all the way back to 442.19 Now it works normally again with MadVR tone mapping.
What is the best Nvidia driver version to use?
I see on doom9 : AMD, Intel and Nvidia driver issues and last recommended version - Doom9's Forum
after 451.48 things seems to be broken for MadVR.
The only reason the newest driver is "broken" for some people, is that they are setting their PC to output HDR. Those are the people who are affected, from what I understand.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
As mentioned before, the latest drivers 456.xx work fine with both HDR passthrough and tone-mapping.

Reactions: _Bathrone_

·
Registered
99 Posts
456.xx did not work for me. Tone mapping was broken.
I do not send HDR out to the display. I tonemap everything to SDR. Except when I want to compare with JVC FA mapping.
I notice the GPU is much hotter then usual now with 442.19 even when no mapping is going on.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
How do you upgrade/downgrade your drivers? Do you use "clean install" from within the Nvidia installer? How did regular SDR content look with the 456.xx drivers?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I don't normally use tone-mapping, but I just tested it with both HDR to SDR and HDR to HDR. No issues here.

Note: madVR beta 112, tone-mapping settings all default

·
Registered
99 Posts
How do you upgrade/downgrade your drivers? Do you use "clean install" from within the Nvidia installer? How did regular SDR content look with the 456.xx drivers?
SDR looked fine, unless HDR files were played before.
For the Nvidia install I just ran the installer with the driver only option because I don't want the game related stuff.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,067 Posts
This question is slightly OT. I use madVR for watching movies (and HDR conversion to Rec209) and love it. However, I feed the output of my NVidia 2080 to a Lumagen Pro from which I output HDMI to my projector and a separate HDMI to my audio processor (the latter doesn't accept 4k).

I'm wondering if it's possible to output a second HDMI from my video card for audio so that I could bypass the Lumagen. Anyone know if it's possible and if so tricky?
This will be very difficult to deal with. The default audio device will want to be the HDMI output that also has the video. I'm not sure if you can even get a second HDMI to be active without a display attached to it. You could go to your sound card properties (start, run, mmsys.cpl), and look for another matching HDMI sound device and try setting it as default and see if the sound goes through it. You might be better off trying to get some sort of HDMI splitter to do this for you.

·
Registered
59 Posts
one of my hdmi is connected to my vp, another to my denon for the audio (and a third dvi to the monitor). I have no difficulty to heard and see. the graphic card IS a (sort) splitter
don't forget to select the right audio in the audio panel

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Yeah I also find it easy to run video and audio out separate HDMI ports.

Any good media player should allow you to select the audio output device, and that should list all the connected HDMI devices.

Sure they all show up as displays but that has never bothered me or caused any issue.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Don't know if you guys are already aware of this, but Windows 10 Enterprise and Pro for Workstations now have an option to remove a display that is unwanted, but keep the audio part. Why MS decided to make this exclusive to those two versions is anyone's guess. Screenshot from my laptop:

Attachments

Reactions: CZ Eddie

·
Registered
618 Posts
I’m using a Samsung 65un8000 tv in my set up. Is it better for me use pass through hdr or tonemap using pixel shaders ?
My LG 4K HDR monitor is 400 nits. Your Samsung looks to be around 500-600 nits.

I use “tone map HDR using pixel shaders”, set “display peak luminance” to 400 and then check “output video in HDR format”. This gives me the punchiest, most vibrant picture for HDR.

You could try this, changing peak luminance to around 550. Compare this to just “tone map HDR using pixel shaders”, but don't check “output video in HDR format” and see what you like better. And also compare to pass through HDR alone. Just use whatever you like best at this point.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Ok I don’t know what happened. I watched a movie earlier today and everything was great. Played the same movie tonight and my rendering times are through the roof.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Ok I don’t know what happened. I watched a movie earlier today and everything was great. Played the same movie tonight and my rendering times are through the roof.
As an example: I know that “tone map HDR using pixel shaders”, can raise render times alot, if you were using HDR pass through before. In the above case,you must have changed something else. madVR is very difficult and touchy to dial in until you have a feeling which options are GPU intensive. It has taken me a lot of time to rap my head around all this (lol). Every time you change settings it's a must to test and be prepared to back track when render times become too high. That's why I would suggest buying the best GPU you can for madVR. I'm looking forward to a 3080 someday.
Plus that film looks like it's being upscaled from 720 to 4K...very GPU intensive. Did you change upscaling options?

3401 - 3420 of 3486 Posts