AVS Forum banner

3441 - 3460 of 3729 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
...This occurs with 456.38 and 456.71 drivers. I’ve also tried 8 and 10 bit, and RGB & YCbCr.
Do you remember what Nvidia driver your old GPU was running on? Could you try installing the old driver for the new 3080? Or would that cause even more issues? Just a thought... but I too want to get a 3080 soon... so have a vested interest in getting yours working well (lol).

·
Registered
978 Posts
I posted this in the HDR-SDR thread, but was asked to post it here. Long story short ... I upgraded my HTPC with an EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra and I can only get MPC-BE (1.5.5.5433) with its internal filters to convert HDR properly.

If I use anything with LAV filters such as MPC-HC or Kodi DSplayer I get extreme blown highlights when in Fullscreen windowed and FSE. However, it’s fine when windowed. This is with the older internal LAV filters and newer 0.74.1 via external.

The attached pictures show the (1] excess highlights (not sure if this is the correct term) when fullscreen and (2) correction to normal when windowed (and what it looks like with correct conversion using MPC-BE’s internal filters when in fullscreen windowed or FSE).

This happens with MPC-BE as well when I use LAV External with 0.74.1. However, its fine with the included internal filters. This occurs with 456.38 and 456.71 drivers. I’ve also tried 8 and 10 bit, and RGB & YCbCr.

I also just reinstalled Windows 10 this past weekend and tested MadVR before installing any other program. Same results as when I noticed this a couple of weeks ago.

So for now, I'm just using MPC-BE via Kodi's external player.

View attachment 3050300

View attachment 3050301
What movie and scene is that from? I have a 3080, I can test later if I have the movie.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Do you remember what Nvidia driver your old GPU was running on? Could you try installing the old driver for the new 3080? Or would that cause even more issues? Just a thought... but I too want to get a 3080 soon... so have a vested interest in getting yours working well (lol).
The 456.38 driver is the 1st driver that supports Ampere and I don’t think the older drivers support Ampere. Having said that, MadVR HDR to SDR works fine for me... as long as I use MPC-BE! Took me two days to figure out though and it was complete dumb luck that I even figured it out. Who knows could be specific to me, limited to AMD cpus with x570 motherboards, or JVC projectors,

Either way, no reason to hold back from a 3080, MadVR via MPC-BE works.

edit: I’ve been using the HDR MadVR test builds since they started to be posted in 2018. In that time I’ve had a 2070, 2080s, 2080 Ti - and most recently - an AMD RX570 between the Ti and 3080. So I’ve used a few gpus and lots of different drivers. This one is a 1st for me.

What movie and scene is that from? I have a 3080, I can test later if I have the movie.
you have a 3080? Great!

Its Aquaman at 1:06:35. its just an example though and you don’t need it specifically. Its all movies when using HDR-SDR and the highlights are overblown and extreme oversaturation of colors. If you have the issue you’ll know right away no matter what movie you’re watching.

Reactions: catav

·
Registered
307 Posts
If I am looking to watch lots of HDR content via madVR on a HDR TV and my HDR monitor, and potentially bitstream out to a receiver, is there anything that makes MPC-BE inferior to MPC-HC for these use cases? I find the UI in MPC-BE to be slicker and would rather use that, just wanted to be aware of any potential drawbacks. Thanks!

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,305 Posts
Does anyone know if MadVR will work with the upcoming AMD Radeon graphics cards being released this week?
I mean madVR supports AMD cards. But no one can tell you if there are problems with cards that don't exist yet. Personally, I'm sticking with nvidia. ENVY seems to be based on nvidia so perhaps madVR will be more fine tuned to nvidia at some point if it's not already.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I am running the latest beta 113, and still have a couple of questions:

1. Desaturate 1 VS Desaturate 1+2 - I have seen some random side by side pictures, but couldn't find an explanation of exactly what the difference is.

2. Clock deviation: My current settings are not dropping any frames due to performance, but the clock deviation is still causing a dropped frame every 1.07 hours (no matter what I change my performance settings to, this value always seems to average out to right around this mark). My screen refresh is 23.97612 for 23.976 files - so very close there. This frame always drops too... if I watch a 2 hour movie, it always drops that one frame in there. Not terrible, but on a 130" screen, I tend to always notice it!

3. Easy one: How to create profiles for different resolutions and FPS. Will I lose my settings that I currently have when I create new profiles?

·
Registered
477 Posts
I am running the latest beta 113, and still have a couple of questions:

2. Clock deviation: My current settings are not dropping any frames due to performance, but the clock deviation is still causing a dropped frame every 1.07 hours (no matter what I change my performance settings to, this value always seems to average out to right around this mark). My screen refresh is 23.97612 for 23.976 files - so very close there. This frame always drops too... if I watch a 2 hour movie, it always drops that one frame in there. Not terrible, but on a 130" screen, I tend to always notice it!

3. Easy one: How to create profiles for different resolutions and FPS. Will I lose my settings that I currently have when I create new profiles?
2. madVR custom modes :)
3. No, as long as you don't remove any profiles you won't lose them

·
Registered
139 Posts
"madVR custom modes" - Can you elaborate?

The display is capable of 23.976, and allows me to set it there without having to add a custom res. It is super close, just not exact.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Apologies - I saw this article and thought it was for adding custom resolutions when I already was able to get the refresh to 23. I didn't realize that it had the optimize part to it. My fault!

I will give it a shot and report back.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The tests for the correct resolution and FPS work, but the GPU rejects the setting. Tried with EDID, and the two top digital display options. Same thing every time - GPU rejects. Card is a GTC 1650 Super, latest game ready driver.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I wouldn't drive myself nuts over one drop per hour, to be honest. Up until a couple of Nvidia driver versions ago, we all had to deal with a drop every 4.5 minutes :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
If there isn't an easy fix then I am in 100% agreement with you VBB.

With something SO close, I wish there were a way to 'speed up' the audio to match the display. In my case it is 0.001% off - so I wouldn't notice the audio shift at all.

I know other players try this. If I am not mistaken, MPV player has a config line similar to: video-sync=display-refresh - or something like that.

I have no idea how hard something like that is to 'code', but seems like it would be the easier fix for a majority of users.

PS - I wish that drop could be taken from the display ahead frames. It never seems to though, it always just drops and is visible. If there was a way to force the dropped frame to come from the buffered frames, it wouldn't even be something we would all notice.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
With something SO close, I wish there were a way to 'speed up' the audio to match the display. In my case it is 0.001% off - so I wouldn't notice the audio shift at all.
There is a way, but the process can only modify a PCM datastream. There is no way to do this with any type of compressed audio format like Dolby or DTS. It's called reclock.

I really can't believe that you can detect one dropped frame in an hour of viewing, unless you only watch action movies with a ton of motion.

·
Registered
139 Posts
What about resampling the video itself then to match the audio? Maybe that is what the MPV line does... who knows, I am not a programmer.

I watch on a 133" screen, and I do tend to favor action movies or movies with a lot of motion (kids movies with the fam). If it were two talking heads, I probably would not notice it. There have been some movies where I see the frame has dropped without noticing it - but I would say I notice it 60% of the time. Then it gets me paranoid that any normal judder I see is a frame drop. Making me hyper analyze.....

I am the guy who notices the fly on the screen from 10 rows back in the theater.....

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Oh, believe me, the drop every 4.5 minutes I noticed each and every time. Drove me crazy. Once an hour, it's just not obvious any longer. I haven't used madVR's (or Nvidia's) custom resolutions in quite a while, mainly because I ran with smooth motion for so long. So, that's another option to get perfect timings. Now that I'm back to switching, I can live with the one drop.

EDIT: You probably saw already, but Asmodian pretty much said the same thing over at doom ;)

Reactions: lordx2

·
Registered
JVC NX5 at 140", Denon X4200W (5.1.2) with Axiom Audio speakers + Bass Shakers
2,185 Posts
What about resampling the video itself then to match the audio? Maybe that is what the MPV line does... who knows, I am not a programmer.

I watch on a 133" screen, and I do tend to favor action movies or movies with a lot of motion (kids movies with the fam). If it were two talking heads, I probably would not notice it. There have been some movies where I see the frame has dropped without noticing it - but I would say I notice it 60% of the time. Then it gets me paranoid that any normal judder I see is a frame drop. Making me hyper analyze.....

I am the guy who notices the fly on the screen from 10 rows back in the theater.....
Motion smoothing option in madVR should do this. But you will need to use beta 112 as it’s broke in 113.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,305 Posts
If there isn't an easy fix then I am in 100% agreement with you VBB.

I know other players try this. If I am not mistaken, MPV player has a config line similar to: video-sync=display-refresh - or something like that.

I have no idea how hard something like that is to 'code', but seems like it would be the easier fix for a majority of users.

PS - I wish that drop could be taken from the display ahead frames. It never seems to though, it always just drops and is visible. If there was a way to force the dropped frame to come from the buffered frames, it wouldn't even be something we would all notice.
You dont want to mess with the audio. It should be bitstreamed to the AVR to decode not decoded at the player side anyway.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
you are all aware that bitstreaming has far inferior sync then decoded audio?

there are good reasons to bitstream like a atmos setup but if you are not gaining anything from it you can even beat it by not bitstreaming.

why should this fix the issue?

3441 - 3460 of 3729 Posts