AVS Forum banner

3981 - 4000 of 4027 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Then the conclusion is the if you set the gamma to 2.4 it will not „correct“ it to 2.2.

So you need to do a gamma calibration before you create a 3D LUT? I thought it will be done with the 3D LUT.

Lets assume you gamma will drift and you create a new 3D LUT, it will not fix the drift or did I misunderstood it?
I am still learning but this is my understanding. It is not a dynamic correction. So if things on your display change, bulb light, gamma, CMS settings, colorspace, etc.. after the calibration it will not correct them. Its just a look up table. This color was X and should be Y so add whatever correction. This is why its still a good idea to create a new calibration or lut file after say every 500 hours of lamp life.

For gamma.. you dont need to do a gamma calibration first. You are correct, it will adjust it. So lets say your display was a gamma 2.0, and in your lut configuration you say you want 2.2. You will have a 2.2 gamma after. However, if you then change your gamma settings on your projector, your not going to have a 2.2 anymore. The correction table in the lut file is wrong at that point.

The suggestion for a remote hotkey to change gamma was not at the projector level but in MadVR. MadVR will process the additional gamma change after the lut file is processed. So all the lut file correction is done and then MadVR can do additional things on top of that.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I sometimes get the error message: Access violation at address $4a404c22 in module 'madVR64.ax'. Read of address.
This is only with HDR tonemapping (not with SDR). Build 117 sometimes, with the latest build 120 every time an error message. The video freezes and the audio goes on. Rendering times are about 25 ms and there is a frame drop only about 1 per h. Is there a way to solve that ?

·
Registered
JVC NX5 at 140", Denon X4200W (5.1.2) with Axiom Audio speakers + Bass Shakers
2,314 Posts
Then the conclusion is the if you set the gamma to 2.4 it will not „correct“ it to 2.2.

So you need to do a gamma calibration before you create a 3D LUT? I thought it will be done with the 3D LUT.

Lets assume you gamma will drift and you create a new 3D LUT, it will not fix the drift or did I misunderstood it?
A 3DLUT will definitely calibrate the gamma. And if you are using madVR HDR tone-mapping you need to be using 2.2 gamma for the 3DLUT.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Question about colorspace. When outputting RGB my projector (JVC NX7) doesn't seem to recognize automatically if it is 709 or 2020. I see there is a MadVR option to add a 2020 flag which would trigger the JVC but then isn't standard 709 Blu Ray now being sent as 2020? How do you handle this?
Markmon1 made JVCControl, which allows you to create a batch file that madvr profiles can trigger which sends commands to the JVC.

I have two batch files, one for 709 SDR and one for 2020 HDR. When a 2020 HDR profile is being used by madvr (for 4k movies), the batch file sends a command via JVCCONTROL to the projector to switch to my 2020 calibrated mode. And everything else runs the SDR batch file which sends the command to put the projector into my 709 calibrated mode. Quite simple and works perfectly

·
Registered
827 Posts
Does anyone know whether the few aspects of madvr that rely on the CPU are capable of multithreading? I'm thinking black bar detection etc

·
Registered
272 Posts
Markmon1 made JVCControl, which allows you to create a batch file that madvr profiles can trigger which sends commands to the JVC.

I have two batch files, one for 709 SDR and one for 2020 HDR. When a 2020 HDR profile is being used by madvr (for 4k movies), the batch file sends a command via JVCCONTROL to the projector to switch to my 2020 calibrated mode. And everything else runs the SDR batch file which sends the command to put the projector into my 709 calibrated mode. Quite simple and works perfectly
Guess I should have run that cat5 cable to the projector lol.

·
Registered
83 Posts
What color settings (ie rgb or ycbcr 4:2:2, 8bit vs 12bit, full vs limited) should I use to get accurate hdr brightness and colors in madvr when playing 4k hdr10 remuxes? I'm looking for help with the nvidia panel, mpchc settings, madvr and my tv limited/full setting.
Setup : gtx1070 connected via hdmi 2.0 to yamaha rx-v585 receiver which is connected to my Sony x900h tv via hdmi 2.0 to the arc ports.

Thanks

·
Registered
378 Posts
Depends on what your display can handle. For the video card Definatly RGB 0-255 (full) but try both 8 and 12 bit and see if you notice any banding in the color gradients.

2 options for best quality .

MadVR / GPU / Display
0-255 / 0-255 / 0-255
or
16-235 / 0-255 / 16-235

Either works

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'm still working on colorspace. What if I set my projector to SDR 2020 which works when I play UHDs but then send it 709 when I play Blu Rays? Isn't it just using a smaller portion of the colorspace but still correct? It sure looks right to me or at least the same as if I changed my projector to the 709 calibrated setting.

·
Registered
35 Posts
GPU output setting is done on the Resolution screen as seen here, at the bottom:

Output format: RGB, Output Dynamic Range: Full

This should always be set to RGB, Full for all setups, because if it's set to Limited, then the GPU always does a relatively "poor" quality conversion.

And on your TV set HDMI black level out Low.

You can set your LAV filters to Untouched (as input).
Ok all good.
It works. Now I don't need anymore to switch my TV black level to high to get a normal level of black. The dark scenes are displayed as intended with my TV black level set on "low". I'm really happy.
Also, I noticed that my PC is more responsive when playing a 4k HDR file, like if it was using less resources. Before I couldn't have anything running in the background during playback as the playback wouldn't be smooth. Maybe this is due to the PC not converting the dynamic range anymore and therefore no using the same amount of computational power as before?

Seeing your screenshot of NVIDIA settings though has had me concerned for something else.

- As you can see on my screenshot below, my output color depth max out at 8bpc while yours is set at 10. I have an entry-level Nvidia GT1030. Does that mean I'm missing on picture quality? Am I limited to 8bpc because of the graphic card or something else?

Thank you again for your help

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
change the refresh rate.. your card may not support over 8 at the higher refresh rates.

if this is for movies, change it to 23 and check.

Reactions: Arese

·
Registered
35 Posts
change the refresh rate.. your card may not support over 8 at the higher refresh rates.

if this is for movies, change it to 23 and check.

Interesting.

At 30Hz I have the option between 8 and 12 bpc.

Would 12bpc work for 10 bit videos?

Also are "bit" and "bpc" the same thing?

EDIT: at 23Hz I can also chose between 8 and 12 bpc

·
Registered
378 Posts
most movies are 23.976 refresh rate which is the 23 option with your video card. I would set it to that and 12 bit.

the 8 bit / 12 bit thing depends on your display. you can try both and see if you notice and banding in grdiants.. MadVR will convert it either way so yes it will be fine for 10 bit.

for other refresh rates you can setup custom refresh rates and MadVR will auto switch to the correct refresh rate. don't worry about that just yet.

·
Registered
35 Posts
most movies are 23.976 refresh rate which is the 23 option with your video card. I would set it to that and 12 bit.

the 8 bit / 12 bit thing depends on your display. you can try both and see if you notice and banding in grdiants.

for other refresh rates you can setup custom refresh rates and MadVR will auto switch to the correct refresh rate. don't worry about that just yet.

Yes I already set up auto-refresh rate in MadVR which switches my TV refresh rate to 23.976 when playing movies at 23.976. So in Nvidia settings, I'll set my output refresh rate to 30Hz which allows me then to select 12 bits color depths.

When I play a 23.976fps video MadVr switches my TV to the correct refresh rate at 23.976.

I'm really happy, you guys helped me correctly set up my black levels which was the main issue I had with my picture quality. It's so much nicer now and I don't lose details in the dark scenes anymore. And on top of that I also found out how to fully take advantage of 10 bit videos.

Thank you very much guys, really appreciate it :)

·
Registered
378 Posts
cool.. good work .

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Yes I already set up auto-refresh rate in MadVR which switches my TV refresh rate to 23.976 when playing movies at 23.976. So in Nvidia settings, I'll set my output refresh rate to 30Hz which allows me then to select 12 bits color depths.

When I play a 23.976fps video MadVr switches my TV to the correct refresh rate at 23.976.

I'm really happy, you guys helped me correctly set up my black levels which was the main issue I had with my picture quality. It's so much nicer now and I don't lose details in the dark scenes anymore. And on top of that I also found out how to fully take advantage of 10 bit videos.

Thank you very much guys, really appreciate it :)
You really shouldn't select 30Hz in the NCP. You should leave it at its native rate. This way you get no lag in GUI's such as Kodi or your mouse since many also use the Windows desktop. Not sure if you do? The 30Hz and below setting for 12bit only needs to be set once so it's put in the registry. You simply make the settings in NCP - no need to play a video while setting. Then you revert back to 60Hz 8bit which is perfect for desktop usage.

Next time you play a 23.976 video, since you set madVR to handle refresh rates, it will automatically switch to 23.976 12bit and when finished auto go back into 60Hz 8bit. madVR will then dither 12bit to 10bit if your display only handles 10bit which is a SLIGHT increase over 8bit. Don't forget to set madVR to use 10bit or higher vs 8bit depending which bit depth you're currently in NCP.

Once you've accomplished this, you need to determine if you did more harm than good by checking for banding. So pick out your favorite banding checker video scene and compare the two. Fwiw, I use the opening sequence from 'Allied' just cuz. Test HDR and SDR. If you do get banding, set NCP back to 24Hz 8bit and madVR to 8bit. Don't try to correct banding using madVR if the banding was introduced by something else upstream that can be easily adjusted - AVR, GPU, Display, Cables, etc.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I made some screenshots of the setup for making a madVR 3DLUT some time back. They should help you get started at least.

Hello SirMaster,

I am using your 3D LUT settings and I have the following strange error:

When I set GPU / MadVR / Display.
full - full - full

Then I have a lot of HDMI re-sync problems with my Sony VW790 when I start a movie. After it stabilizes the sound is gone and I can fix it with switching the audio sound track

When I set GPU / MadVR / Display
Limited - Full - Limited

If I have only one HDMI re-sync but then the sound is not lost and the movie also starts much faster.

I have read that at Limited MadVR does not convert well. Is there a setting I could do differently to get a better result or why is the re-sync happening with your settings that much?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I updated Madvr to beta 114 and at the same time updated windows 10 (to 20H2) and and Nvidia drivers (because I gathered from the tone mapping development thread that this was neccessary for beta 114 to work properly).

However now I seem to get occasional stutter in SDR movies.

I reinstalled older nvidia drivers and madvr 113 but this does not fix the problem.

I was using Kodi 17.6 DS Player with internal lav filers. I tried setting DS Player to use external (newer, 0.74) lav filters but this did not work either.

Rendering times are low and do not seem to be the problem.

Any idea what is causing this and/or how to solve it?

Thank you.

3981 - 4000 of 4027 Posts