AVS Forum banner

4001 - 4020 of 4027 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I updated Madvr to beta 114 and at the same time updated windows 10 (to 20H2) and and Nvidia drivers (because I gathered from the tone mapping development thread that this was neccessary for beta 114 to work properly).

However now I seem to get occasional stutter in SDR movies.

I reinstalled older nvidia drivers and madvr 113 but this does not fix the problem.

I was using Kodi 17.6 DS Player with internal lav filers. I tried setting DS Player to use external (newer, 0.74) lav filters but this did not work either.

Rendering times are low and do not seem to be the problem.

Any idea what is causing this and/or how to solve it?

Thank you.
Try adding an empty folder named "FastBlur" in the madVR folder, and see if that works.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
378 Posts
I would also check that the refresh rate is switching appropriately.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would also check that the refresh rate is switching appropriately.
Could you tell me exactly what I have to check? I'm not very experienced in the HTPC Setup process. I followed a guide for Kodi setup without understanding everything. That setup worked until I updated.

I installed MPC-HC to use as al alternative and quickly tried to set it up. I may have made mistakes there, but I did notice something: If I play in the MPC-HC window, then there is no visible stutter. When I put MPC-HC into full screen, there is stutter similar to what I got in Kodi. Does this mean anything?

Attached are the Madvr control-J data with and without full screen.

I will try the empty folder named "FastBlur", but if I understand correctly, this is only needed for Madvr beta 114 and later, I am now back on 113.

Attachments

·
Registered
827 Posts
You have a ton of dropped frames and presentation glitches. What GPU do you have? The settings between your two images are totally different- the scaling is doubling using ngu then downscaling using ssim in one, and only doubling in the other.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You have a ton of dropped frames and presentation glitches. What GPU do you have? The settings between your two images are totally different- the scaling is doubling using ngu then downscaling using ssim in one, and only doubling in the other.
I have a RTX 2080 and did not have any problems until update of Windows + Nvidia Drivers + MadVR. So the GPU should not be the problem.

The only difference between the to images is that one is taken in full screen mode of MPC HC and one in windowed mode of MPC HC (you see the window on the second picture). I did not change any settings between the two screenshots.

The strange thing is that I did not see any stutter when quicky testing HDR movies. I suspect there are far less dropped frames in HDR movies but I will check again.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Could you tell me exactly what I have to check?
it's good based on the screenshots.. you want to look at the first number for display and then the number for the video on line 6. there both 23.976 so your ok.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I have a RTX 2080 and did not have any problems until update of Windows + Nvidia Drivers + MadVR. So the GPU should not be the problem.

The only difference between the to images is that one is taken in full screen mode of MPC HC and one in windowed mode of MPC HC (you see the window on the second picture). I did not change any settings between the two screenshots.

The strange thing is that I did not see any stutter when quicky testing HDR movies. I suspect there are far less dropped frames in HDR movies but I will check again.
You should never take Windows updates. The update probably screwed something up.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
827 Posts
I found after updating to 20h2 that bitstreaming one of the major audio codecs had been turned off, resulting in hundreds of dropped frames. Check that in both lav filters and your player?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ok just finished my new HTPC build and my main question is am I doing this right? To get 10bit output I have to set desktop (Nvidia GTX 1080ti) to 2160p24 is that correct and do all of my settings look ok?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Question to all… is madVR still needed on higher (700+) nit displays. I have had great success on my JVC RS540 (65 nit) PJ using HDR to SDR (SDR2020). But want to upgrade my HT (someday) to a higher nit display, with seeing how much punchier my new desktop LG 400 nit HDR monitor looks. True HDR color volume and spectral highlights are so much better.

Especially now that Sony (2021) CES shows that 100” flat panels are on the way. Hope you don't have to get that one up or down stairs! That sounds like HT (PJ) territory. Pretty exciting... Any ideas or thoughts?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Using a Q90 at 1500 nits give or take.

In the past, I passed through madVR for the HDR switching. Now that official Kodi handles UHD HDR with menus for most 1:1 ripped iso's, I prefer it since I'm unable to get menus working with any madVR compatible players. (Haven't tried JRiver) The render looks identical on 82" to me. Since there is nothing that needs improved processing for UHD on a decent panel, it should. For stubborn iso's that Kodi struggles with in menu mode, I either just put it in main movie mode or switch to an external player with a few remote presses in the Kodi GUI.

For resolutions less than 2160p, I still prefer using madVR's superior processing. Coupled with high nits on this panel including SDR, everything looks very good. Often my eyes can't tell if I'm watching SDR or HDR depending on the title and specular highlights.

·
Registered
171 Posts
You really shouldn't select 30Hz in the NCP. You should leave it at its native rate. This way you get no lag in GUI's such as Kodi or your mouse since many also use the Windows desktop. Not sure if you do? The 30Hz and below setting for 12bit only needs to be set once so it's put in the registry. You simply make the settings in NCP - no need to play a video while setting. Then you revert back to 60Hz 8bit which is perfect for desktop usage.
It seems that Kodi doesn't recognize custom refresh rates ? While Windows and madVR do. My pc has 23.978Hz as a custom one and Kodi white list doesn't see it, only the standard refresh rates 29.97Hz, 50Hz, 59.94Hz, 60Hz.
So in order to play a movie 23.978 fps in Kodi VideoPlayer, I have to set the desktop to 23.978 Hz, then Kodi accepts and plays it until the pc is rebooted.
Do you know a way to forces Kodi to accept the custom refresh rates and register them? Thanks

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
It seems that Kodi doesn't recognize custom refresh rates ? While Windows and madVR do. My pc has 23.978Hz as a custom one and Kodi white list doesn't see it, only the standard refresh rates 29.97Hz, 50Hz, 59.94Hz, 60Hz.

So in order to play a movie 23.978 fps in Kodi VideoPlayer, I have to set the desktop to 23.978 Hz, then Kodi accepts and plays it until the pc is rebooted.

Do you know a way to forces Kodi to accept the custom refresh rates and register them? Thanks

Nope. I don't use custom refresh rates or limit myself to just one. I have no reason to and if I did, I'd be introducing more new problems than I'd be (fixing) because the (cure) would be worse than the disease. No idea why you created one but I see it's already a problem for you. I'd guess it's because you're trying to workaround upstream problems such as poor hardware and/or software handling.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am looking for help with setting up 3D playback with MadVR.

I set it up using GTX 1070 and last official supported drivers using MPC-HC / BE with Lav filters installed with the 3d box ticked.

It plays 3D but only when in windowed mode and when I go full screen one eye freezes the frame. The moment i bring any tool bard of MPC up it will start playing again so something is wrong with full screen playback.

MadVR is 113.

Did anybody seen anything like it?

I am also getting pink hue all over 4k playback in full screen mode only again. I have not started troubleshooting this yet.

Windows is current newest version 20H2.

Thanks for any ideas. I will start from scratch soon as there was a lot of messing when I was learning the steps.

·
Registered
Epson 5050UB, Denon Receiver, Monoprice Multiformat 106 inches, Pioneer speakers, Bic subwoofer
68 Posts
The 4k UHD Spears and Munsil disc recommends leaving contrast at 50 or default for most displays since that controls the HDR mapping that the display handles.
How about if I'm running MadVR HDR to SDR and letting the program handle the tone mapping instead of the projector?
Looks like I'm able to crank up the contrast considerably without clipping whites on patterns, giving me much needed brightness for my Epson 5050ub.
Is that somehow degrading my image?
Looks good by the way, but don't want to be altering it in a negative way.
I also posted this in the Spears and Munsil thread, but figured it might also belong here with people who really know MadVR.
Thanks!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Nope. I don't use custom refresh rates or limit myself to just one. I have no reason to and if I did, I'd be introducing more new problems than I'd be (fixing) because the (cure) would be worse than the disease. No idea why you created one but I see it's already a problem for you. I'd guess it's because you're trying to workaround upstream problems such as poor hardware and/or software handling.
Without custom refresh rates, I have to cope with 3:2 pull down, just as play 23p at 59.94Hz or 24p at 60Hz. The issue is that Windows and madVR can see and switch to these custom ones like 23.978Hz or 24Hz but Kodi can't.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I found after updating to 20h2 that bitstreaming one of the major audio codecs had been turned off, resulting in hundreds of dropped frames. Check that in both lav filters and your player?
Bitstreaming seems to be set up OK, still stuttering.

Since you also updated to 20H2 : What version of the Nvidia drivers are you using?

Thank you.

4001 - 4020 of 4027 Posts