AVS Forum banner

4341 - 4360 of 4477 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
I created a custom DCI P3 color space with JVC Autocal software on my 7900. Calibrated it and created a 3D LUT on top. I am quite happy with this for all content beside HDR sources which can't be used with madvr, for those I am still using HDR and two custom curves (don't remeber which one but pretty sure at least one of them was a "Javs" curve :)).

NoTechi

·
Registered
433 Posts
@ddgdl Thanks for the advice, now it works: Can you please doublecheck if those settings are right now?

View attachment 3088242
Can somebody please help me here. I use black-bar detection with anamorphic lens. Since then I have many droped frames:

Can somebody please have a look, what could be the issue here? Without black bar detection and D3D11 I never had this issues.

·
Registered
963 Posts
My complaints didn't have anything to do with rec709 I don't use that to watch movies.

Rec709 is much worse, there is tons of gamut compression trying to get colour down to that from bt2020
This was in reference to a post back in Jan. from the movie Battleship (madVR HDR to SDR mapping thread). You can do an advanced search keyword "Battleship" with your member-id.

From the discussion with you it was apparent that my JVC was not color calibrated properly for BT2020.

So I changed madVR to rec709 calibration for what I perceive as a more correct TM saturation when comparing to ‘hdr passthrough’ on my LG monitor. I still have the JVC picture mode set to BT2020.

I edited my previous post to read more correctly.

Battleship (1.09.41) JVC BT2020

Battleship (1.09.41) JVC Rec709

·
Registered
249 Posts
So Natural, with BT.709 selected in MadVR, when viewing HDR content?
Did you try running BT.2020 with your PJ in Digital Cinema color mode? How did it look?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Can somebody please have a look, what could be the issue here? Without black bar detection and D3D11 I never had this issues.
Those queue's don't look right. Did you change the frames-in-advance from 8 to 4 or something?

·
Premium Member
4,397 Posts
Can somebody please help me here. I use black-bar detection with anamorphic lens. Since then I have many droped frames:
View attachment 3117431

What GPU card do you have?

·
Premium Member
4,397 Posts
RTX 2070, however now after I moved to the lates beta it has improved but still I have many dropped frames....
With my 2080Ti I set present in advance to 3 to avoid stuttering. All the other queues set to 8.

I am using D3D11 copyback because I want full DVD menus. Black bar detection also requires copy back I believe. Why did you switch from D3D11 to D3D9?

·
Registered
433 Posts
With my 2080Ti I set present in advance to 3 to avoid stuttering. All the other queues set to 8.

I am using D3D11 copyback because I want full DVD menus. Black bar detection also requires copy back I believe. Why did you switch from D3D11 to D3D9?
Thanks for your help!!! It is now much much better

BTW: I also switched now to D3D11, but still I get D3D9 when I playback a movie!?

Can you please have a look on my settings?

·
Premium Member
4,397 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Basic madvr question... I am considering buying a Ghost in the Shell 4K UHD steelbook (anime), to use with madvr to dynamically tonemap onto 1080p display, however I was told this release of Ghost in the Shell has buggy Dolby Vision that people usually turn off. So can madvr do its dtm from disabled Dolby Vision, or HDR 10, or whatever is left on this release once you disable Dolby Vision? Or should I be looking for a different version of Ghost in the Shell anime UHD disc to use with madvr?

More broadly, does madvr dtm only work on Dolby Vision and HDR 10+ discs, or does all it need to work is HDR 10 regular?

TLDR which version of Ghost in the Shell UHD should I buy to work best with madvr dynamic tonemapping onto 1080p projector? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,397 Posts
Basic madvr question... I am considering buying a Ghost in the Shell 4K UHD steelbook (anime), to use with madvr to dynamically tonemap onto 1080p display, however I was told this release of Ghost in the Shell has buggy Dolby Vision that people usually turn off. So can madvr do its dtm from disabled Dolby Vision, or HDR 10, or whatever is left on this release once you disable Dolby Vision? Or should I be looking for a different version of Ghost in the Shell anime UHD disc to use with madvr?

More broadly, does madvr dtm only work on Dolby Vision and HDR 10+ discs, or does all it need to work is HDR 10 regular?

TLDR which version of Ghost in the Shell UHD should I buy to work best with madvr dynamic tonemapping onto 1080p projector? Thanks!
MadVR only processes the base HDR10 layer of UHD discs, full BD folder backups, or MKV rips. The base HDR10 layer is required on all UHD HDR discs. Any additional Dolby Vision or HDR10+ layers are ignored.

Most software players don't support Dolby Vision anyway.

I have backed up numerous Dolby Vision UHD discs to full BD folders. I use JRiver Media Center with MadVR plug-in. MadVR processes the base HDR10 layer of each.

Reactions: Technology3456

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
MadVR only processes the base HDR10 layer of UHD discs, full BD folder backups, or MKV rips. The base HDR10 layer is required on all UHD HDR discs. Any additional Dolby Vision or HDR10+ layers are ignored.

Most software players don't support Dolby Vision anyway.
So this version of Ghost in the Shell UHD disc has not only Dolby Vision, but also HDR 10? And I can just ignore the buggy DV and use HDR 10? I'm 99% sure that's what you're saying but I never got it confirmed if this disc has HDR 10 also, or only DV but not HDR 10. Or if that is not something that can happen so I dont have to ask?

·
Premium Member
4,397 Posts
So this version of Ghost in the Shell UHD disc has not only Dolby Vision, but also HDR 10? And I can just ignore the buggy DV and use HDR 10? I'm 99% sure that's what you're saying but I never got it confirmed if this disc has HDR 10 also, or only DV but not HDR 10. Or if that is not something that can happen so I dont have to ask?
All official UHD HDR discs must include a base HDR10 layer. It is part of the UHD Blu-Ray specification.

From blu-ray.com:

Ghost in the Shell 4K Blu-ray
攻殻機動隊 / Kôkaku Kidôtai / 4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray + Digital HD
Lionsgate Films | 1995 | 83 min | Not rated | Sep 08, 2020

Ghost in the Shell 4K (Blu-ray)
Video
Codec: HEVC / H.265 (59.98 Mbps)
Resolution: Native 4K (2160p)

HDR: Dolby Vision, HDR10

Aspect ratio: 1.85:1
Original aspect ratio: 1.85:1

Reactions: Technology3456

·
Registered
885 Posts
hi guys does anyone have a link to latest MADVR version?

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
hi guys does anyone have a link to latest MADVR version?
Here is the latest released version of madVR:

There are test builds that are not meant to be used for anything more than to test HDR dynamic tone mapping with the hope that one day there will be a version of madVR with this capability. These change frequently with the focus changing on different aspects of tone mapping. They are not meant to be used for daily watching of regular content (unless you are doing so to test and provide feedback). This build has some tone curve brightness normalization so it is not ideal to use other than to test tone curves.

·
Registered
StormAudio ISP32 MK1.5 32Ch AES, QSC Q-sys Core & DCA Power Amps, SIM2 Nero 3D-1 & Nero 3, HTPC
684 Posts
Here is the latest released version of madVR:

There are test builds that are not meant to be used for anything more than to test HDR dynamic tone mapping with the hope that one day there will be a version of madVR with this capability. These change frequently with the focus changing on different aspects of tone mapping. They are not meant to be used for daily watching of regular content (unless you are doing so to test and provide feedback). This build has some tone curve brightness normalization so it is not ideal to use other than to test tone curves.

And the test versions are also time limited.

4341 - 4360 of 4477 Posts