AVS Forum banner

4361 - 4380 of 4477 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Here is the latest released version of madVR:

There are test builds that are not meant to be used for anything more than to test HDR dynamic tone mapping with the hope that one day there will be a version of madVR with this capability. These change frequently with the focus changing on different aspects of tone mapping. They are not meant to be used for daily watching of regular content (unless you are doing so to test and provide feedback). This build has some tone curve brightness normalization so it is not ideal to use other than to test tone curves.

let me see if i got that right, are u saying that the officail version of madvr. dosn't do hdr. dynamic tone mapping? and that it's only available in the beta builds? im a kind of new user to madvr. but as far as i understand, is that the tone mapping in done frame by frame in madvr.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I think Beta 113 is the last beta that don't have a timelimit and does dynamic tone mapping.

Sent from my SM-F916B using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
let me see if i got that right, are u saying that the officail version of madvr. dosn't do hdr. dynamic tone mapping? and that it's only available in the beta builds? im a kind of new user to madvr. but as far as i understand, is that the tone mapping in done frame by frame in madvr.
Correct. HDR dynamic tone mapping is still being developed. In fact it may never be done.

Some people are happy enough using one of the early test builds. Anything after test build 113 will stop working due to a built-in expiration to prevent people from using the test builds long term.

All of these builds have some issue or another that might impact your specific setup in a negative way.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Correct. HDR dynamic tone mapping is still being developed. In fact it may never be done.

Some people are happy enough using one of the early test builds. Anything after test build 113 will stop working due to a built-in expiration to prevent people from using the test builds long term.

All of these builds have some issue or another that might impact your specific setup in a negative way.
Thanks for your input. so actaully since the tone mapping is still (static) in the officail stable version, one might as well use the MPC-CH own renderer or vlc. player which also do tone mapping.
in saying that, i guess u are right about the test builds, im using v130 and at the moment and i do have noticed a brightness fluctuation issue. with HDR.

·
Registered
JVC NX5 at 140", Denon X4200W (5.1.2) with Axiom Audio speakers + Bass Shakers
2,660 Posts
Thanks for your input. so actaully since the tone mapping is still (static) in the officail stable version, one might as well use the MPC-CH own renderer or vlc. player which also do tone mapping.
in saying that, i guess u are right about the test builds, im using v130 and at the moment and i do have noticed a brightness fluctuation issue. with HDR.
I think you will still find the static tone-mapping in madVR release version to be noticeably better than the static tone-mapping in MPC-BE, VLC, or MPV if you actually go to compare frames. At least I did last time I compared.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
@klcp
Windows event log is a pain in the ass. I find nothing there. I am used to linux, though. This is the only Windows installation I have.
Anyway, the Crashreport fron the initial popup-windows says:
Executable: kodi.exe
Access violation at address $4a50b91c in module 'madVR.ax'. Write of address $0.
That's what I could find out so far and that's why I suspect madVR. I might be wrong though and that's why I thought, best ask madshi, he will know.
That's similar to the error I'd receive before removing the old thermal paste and adding new thermal paste to the GPU and memory of my former GTX 1060. Before replacing the thermal paste I figured I'd do some tests and starting with low settings and slowly applied more madVR settings to increase the stress on the GPU. Everything appeared to work well until I set chroma scaling to anything higher than Lanczos, at which point madVR would crash after 5 minutes. If you can, test with low settings and slowly increase settings to stress the GPU. If you're ok with low madVR settings but start seeing crashes as you stress the GPU more, it could be similar to the issue I had.

Another user experienced similar crashes and fixed it here:

·
Registered
167 Posts
coming from The Future of madVR HTPC..

@MidnightWatcher
Thx, the one really looks similar. IÄll check what TMT5 could be.

I do not have an overheating issue because when upscaling non-SDR content my PC really spins up the GPU cooler, meaning stress. It simply never crashes with SDR content, though. When doing tonemapping on HDR content, the crashes occur, but it stays silent, meaning, no stress on the GPU.

The other problem mentioned there that was connected to madVR crashes was a problem with ín Windows, which also lead to crashes of Windows. I have no such problems. Will check for TMT5, though. For now I updated LAVFilters and will see if that already fixed the issue. I'd ratehr apply one change at a time, so it might take a few days. Of course, if it crashes right away again, I will immediately go on changing things, because i really want to get rid of this.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts

@MidnightWatcherIt simply never crashes with SDR content, though. When doing tonemapping on HDR content, the crashes occur, but it stays silent, meaning, no stress on the GPU.
If I recall correctly this was similar to my issue. SDR seemed fine, but 4K HDR chroma scaling with anything higher than Lanczos caused crashes after about 5 minutes. Didn't make much sense to me (maybe SDR scaling was easier on the GPU?). I'd recommend trying a different similar GPU if you have one available from a friend. Otherwise, definitely start testing with low easy settings and slowing increase one variable for each subsequent test.

·
Premium Member
4,397 Posts

@MidnightWatcher
Thx, the one really looks similar. IÄll check what TMT5 could be.

I do not have an overheating issue because when upscaling non-SDR content my PC really spins up the GPU cooler, meaning stress. It simply never crashes with SDR content, though. When doing tonemapping on HDR content, the crashes occur, but it stays silent, meaning, no stress on the GPU.

The other problem mentioned there that was connected to madVR crashes was a problem with ín Windows, which also lead to crashes of Windows. I have no such problems. Will check for TMT5, though. For now I updated LAVFilters and will see if that already fixed the issue. I'd ratehr apply one change at a time, so it might take a few days. Of course, if it crashes right away again, I will immediately go on changing things, because i really want to get rid of this.
TMT5 is Total Media Theater 5. I used it to play HD Blu-Ray ISO files before UHD discs were introduced.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,397 Posts
I am using 74.1 the last official LAV Filters release before 75.0 was released last month. With the current betas, I believe nothing older than 74.1 will work.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
I am using 74.1 the last official LAV Filters release before 75.0 was released last month. With the current betas, I believe nothing older than 74.1 will work.
Nice, wasn't aware v75.0 was released. Will give those a try, hopefully they won't give issues with streaming over the network.

·
Registered
24 Posts
remember, just because the fans don't spin up does not mean there is not an overheating problem... The memory may still be overheating or even something else.

QB

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
remember, just because the fans don't spin up does not mean there is not an overheating problem... The memory may still be overheating or even something else.

QB
Correct. My fans didn't spin up either before crashing.

·
Registered
167 Posts
So if this altered setup crashes, it seems best to fire up some GPU benchmark, before taking the 1080 apart, right?

Gesendet von meinem ELE-L29 mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just set up a queue of HDR movies and will let it run for 20 hours. Speeds up the process of finding the error. I hope madVR accepts the PJ being turned off, will see..

Gesendet von meinem ELE-L29 mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
963 Posts
Is the expiration date of the madVR beta versions documentated anywhere?
This is Madshi explaining the process when I asked: just my notes -

Madshi reply: 02/10/2021

I'm pretty sure I explained this before, but here goes once more, and I'll probably not reply to follow-up questions:

madVR starts warning nicely 1 month before the build runs out. 1 month later it will simply stop working. Usually, new builds have a runtime of about 3 months atm

That was his reply to me ... That's why I wanted the time limits to be taken away... It's way too constrictive. For now try downloading "runasdate" utility as a workaround. Madshi might be implementing a user registration sub-system which would be much more friendly.

4361 - 4380 of 4477 Posts