AVS Forum banner

4401 - 4410 of 4410 Posts

·
Registered
5,845 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
With that many crashes (especially because of the error message that was about madvr trying to write to a protected area of memory), I have to imagine it is a bad sector on one of your sticks of RAM

·
Registered
JVC NX5 at 140", Denon X4200W (5.1.2) with Axiom Audio speakers + Bass Shakers
2,639 Posts
MEMTest86 just passed. Regular run, 4 times. All looks good here as well.
To be fair, memtest86 is a really weak RAM stability test, but I don't think it's your ram stability either way.

But tell us though what is your RAM usage % when running madVR 4K HDR tone-mapping?

Did you happen to disable your page file or anything like that?

I've seen crashes like yours when madVR runs out of memory, but 8GB should be enough unless other things on your system are eating up too much.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I don't have a number for you but I checked the RAM usage during HDR playback and it's far below 60% or so.

Pagefile is active.

BIOS is stock, from 2018, I will update this next and let the thing run again overnight. If that fails I will let it run with super-simple settings. If that runs through, I can be sure, it's not the decoder, LAVFilters.

Argh!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm still leaning towards a GPU thermal issue... madVR hammers the GPU in ways that nothing else does. I can stress test my 5700XT with benchmarks, games, and I am always mining on mine and not hear coil whine... but madVR, audible coil whine. I know that's not what your problem is, but it's just an example of what madVR is like.

At the very least I would be taking the GPU out and blasting it with a can of air or an electronics duster... Re-pasting is a big job and not something to do lightly...

QB

·
Registered
237 Posts
So the BIOS was really ancient - Version 1.0 - with around 17. or so releases after that. So I updated that and will run the HDR playlist again, overnight..
My experience is that Mobo chipset updates are way more important, and can cause kernel panic if not kept current.
But sometimes the BIOS updates go hand-in-hand with these chipset updates though, so best to refresh both.

Is the video player crashing, or is Explorer crashing (which then kills the video player)?

4401 - 4410 of 4410 Posts