AVS Forum banner

601 - 620 of 3040 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
if i start a 3d movie now i just get 2160p24 and the 2 video angles side by side
forcing the JVC to go 3d side by side does not change to 1080 fp

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
madVR only supports 3d playback for untouched 3d BDs.
make sure 3d is set to auto (default setting) and 3D is active under rendering.

sorry i can'T give very precise tips for 3D is pretty dead. the fact that your projector doesn't support SBS at UHD should show you that they don't really care too they just use the old code/software from older projectors.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Here are all my madVR settings. I just updated the screenshots. You will find everything relevant to 3D for madVR. https://imgur.com/a/4h7U0#KJ179vR

Be aware there are other things that must be setup for 3D other than just madVR. More details in the link in my sig. Most of my titles are untouched iso's but I have a couple SBS and TAB that work fine as well.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Here are all my madVR settings. I just updated the screenshots. You will find everything relevant to 3D for madVR. https://imgur.com/a/4h7U0#KJ179vR

Be aware there are other things that must be setup for 3D other than just madVR. More details in the link in my sig. Most of my titles are untouched iso's but I have a couple SBS and TAB that work fine as well.
Using chrome browser on mobile. The images you posted. I can download them. But they almost seem to be downloading only as thumbnails. When I zoom in the basically illegible.

do you see that on your end? Or do we need to have an account to that website? Asking since I might be able to benefit from your screen capture so thank you for sharing.

-T

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
It's a link to my madVR album with 93 images to scroll through. You don't have to have an account to see them. You can click each and it will zoom if desired. I don't need to zoom. I'm viewing on a 65" screen. On a 5" cell, you'd have to blow up any detailed image I presume? I don't know what resolution the site lets you d/l. I didn't manipulate the pics and they are original. Clear and crisp here. Fwiw, I also supplied a madVR settings.bin in the link in my sig. If you backed your original up, you can replace with mine and everything is there. Then you can fine tune for your GPU capabilities. If you don't like my madVR profiles, replace your original back. No harm done.

·
Registered
466 Posts
how do you tackle 3d movies with madvr?
i have a 2160p, 1080p, 720p & sd profile.
i have set kodi dsplayer to only display movies in 2160p ...
I found 3D playback via dsplayer to be wonky at best. I am using windows 10. A solution I found that is reliable is to use MPC BE as an external player for dsplayer just for 3D titles. This is from memory and I will update later with precise info when I get home. You can configure a filter to launch just 3D movies with the external player in dsplayer. This involves adding an xml file playercorefactory.xml I think it is. I have "(3D)" in all my file names that are 3D so I think I use that to launch it. I also set dsplayer to play the main title by default as my 3D movies are mkv with no menus. This works very well.

EDIT: Removed a question - as I am unsure it is applicable. I notice the output is 8 bit rgb for 3D. I think my non 3D are 10/12 bit color? Curious as to why the difference. I will have to verify to be sure as I could be mistaken. I have prefer 10 bit or higher set in madVR.

Thanks

·
Registered
466 Posts
When I play a regular blu-ray and upscale to 4K via madVR w/ Kodi dsplayer my projector reports 12 bit RGB. When I play a 3D bluray at 1080p24 via madVR w/ MPC BE my projector reports 8 bit RGB. I think there is a benefit to 12 bit RGB even with a 8 bit source (maybe). If there is some benefit is there a way to have madVR output 12 bit RGB for 3D bluray? Or is 8 bit required for the lav filter 3D support?

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts

Hi. A question for you pls.
Can you explain the reason for creating separate profile for HDR and also the " report BT.2020 to display checkbox ? I was under the impression that it was auto procedure for MADVR.

Regards

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
It forces my display to switch into the correct color gamut SDR vs HDR. Without separate profiles, SDR does not look vivid to me and somewhat undersaturated and I want colors to pop similar to HDR but not to the point of oversaturating. This is because I calibrate to BT.709 and do not use the 'Auto' feature for the HDMI Black Level in my Samsung. I lock it to 'Normal' which is 4:4:4 Full instead. I do this because my display is also used as my PC monitor at GPU output RGB 4:4:4 Full 60Hz for desktop usage. Others might want to temporarily change your display setting to 'Normal' and setting madVR to calibrate for BT.709 and visually see what it does for SDR rendering for you. If you like it, use two profiles. If not, put the old settings back.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Guys, please excuse my ignorance if this is an obvious question....

I currently have a Sapphire RX 580 Nitro + 4GB GPU and now that the cards have become slightly cheaper, would it be any benefit if swapped this card out for a Vega 56 or Vega 64 8GB GPU?

All my movies are either 1080p or 4K mainly 4K , with the 4K I am able to use NGU Sharp Medium and for 1080p I upscale to 3840x2160 with NGU Sharp High. My rendering times for the 4K movies is 28ms and for 1080p is 18ms

Is there any point in changing my GPU and paying a bit more for the Vega cards or shall I stick with my RX 580? Thank you :)

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'm not sure if you'd see a visible difference. It might only be worthwhile if you are using any of the trade quality for performance checkboxes for tone mapping.
Here are some screenshots of my settings.. The RX 580 Nitro + is a beast of a card.. It does do NGU Sharp (med) for 4K and very high for 1080p

Attachments

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'm not sure if you'd see a visible difference. It might only be worthwhile if you are using any of the trade quality for performance checkboxes for tone mapping.
I only use - "compromise on HDR luminance channel quality"

Attachments

·
Registered
943 Posts
an RX 580 isn't supposed to be even close to be able to do NGU very high.

can you make a a screen of the OSD plz?
as requested here are screens of both 1080p and 4K .. please let me know your thoughts..pictures are not as good on my tv as they are on my projector...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #617
I only use - "compromise on HDR luminance channel quality"
If the new card isn't that much of an expense, you might as well upgrade. I don't think you will see much of a difference with 1080p content, but the extra power could be useful for HDR tone mapping at some point.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
as requested here are screens of both 1080p and 4K .. please let me know your thoughts..pictures are not as good on my tv as they are on my projector...
You are using the latest MadVR stable release with no pre-measurements? What is your settings for your hdr tab? that might be relevant for some people too if you are using hdr content as an example.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I set up some profiles today under Scaling algorithms.

Whether I watch 720, 1080, or 2160 , the 720p profile is highlighted in bold numbers.

Does this mean the 720 settings are being used?

How can I get mad vr to select the correct profile?

601 - 620 of 3040 Posts