AVS Forum banner

681 - 700 of 3065 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Hey guys.. Hope all well.. Quick question.. I have a JVC projector and for the first time I measured my nits tonight.. So my nits on high lamp mode is around 74 nits but at low lamp mode its around 51 nits..

What I wanted to ask was in madvr hdr tone mapping do I put the figure 51 nits in the minimum target nits do I put 51 or do I put 150 nits like others usually do on the madvr hdr to SDR thread?

I would really appreciate if you could advise me..

Here are some pics.. Please also advise me if I'm doing this correct or incorrect.. Many thanks.

20190317_002033.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hey guys.. Hope all well.. Quick question.. I have a JVC projector and for the first time I measured my nits tonight.. So my nits on high lamp mode is around 74 nits but at low lamp mode its around 51 nits..

What I wanted to ask was in madvr hdr tone mapping do I put the figure 51 nits in the minimum target nits do I put 51 or do I put 150 nits like others usually do on the madvr hdr to SDR thread?

Here are some pics.. Please also advise me if I'm doing this correct or incorrect.. Many thanks.

View attachment 2540226

What build are you using? You have alot more info about hdr tonemapping from the Madvr onscreen list then me....

·
Registered
2,320 Posts

View attachment 2540226

I did some experimentation with the tone mapping. I was not using the latest tests build, but I was using the latest stable build which I think came out last December?

In any event, I have a JVC rs420. It supports HDR native... so I experimented and used the default settings when turning on HDR tone mapping. It's like a whole bunch of checkboxes and I left as is. The only thing I changed was the target nits. I think the default was he the 200 or 400 when I first enabled it.

I have a 135 in 16 by 9 screen. So based on my rough calculations my nits in low mode should be approximately 50.

In any event, and I think it was the Samsung demo loop 4K UHD "travel with my pets," I'll have to verify that... But there was a scene with a red canoe in the water with mountains in the background. Changing the nits for me in madVR (I ranged from 200 to 400 and went no higher than 400) never made that Red canoe have a pop that I had when I fed HDR to the projector and let the projector tone map.

Not that you asked, but did you ever try to compare the HDR tone mapping to native HDR fed to the projector? To see which image look better?

-T

Edit:. I assumed in my post you had a JVC projector that handled native HDR.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I did some experimentation with the tone mapping. I was not using the latest tests build, but I was using the latest stable build which I think came out last December?

In any event, I have a JVC rs420. It supports HDR native... so I experimented and used the default settings when turning on HDR tone mapping. It's like a whole bunch of checkboxes and I left as is. The only thing I changed was the target nits. I think the default was he the 200 or 400 when I first enabled it.

I have a 135 in 16 by 9 screen. So based on my rough calculations my nits in low mode should be approximately 50.

In any event, and I think it was the Samsung demo loop 4K UHD "travel with my pets," I'll have to verify that... But there was a scene with a red canoe in the water with mountains in the background. Changing the nits for me in madVR (I ranged from 200 to 400 and went no higher than 400) never made that Red canoe have a pop that I had when I fed HDR to the projector and let the projector tone map.

Not that you asked, but did you ever try to compare the HDR tone mapping to native HDR fed to the projector? To see which image look better?

-T

That's definitely an older build, the newer builds use a real nits value and then a dynamic tone mapping value that is user preference, along with a bunch of options. There are like 70 test builds so far, so unless you want to jump into the ever evolving version you could wait until the next official build.

·
Registered
943 Posts

-T

I do I have the RS640 but prefer madvr tone mapping..

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
If the meter was placed as shown in your photo the reading could have been affected bt the meter’s own shadow. Keep the meter farther away from the screen and orient it for maximum reading.

·
Registered
943 Posts
If the meter was placed as shown in your photo the reading could have been affected bt the meter’s own shadow. Keep the meter farther away from the screen and orient it for maximum reading.
Thank you.. do you know how far I need to have it? a meter or so? Also please can you advise me whatever the value is, is that what I put into the madVR minimum nit value for HDR? Thank you :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Forgive me if this is not the right thread to ask the following...

I own a RX580 card and want to use MADVR settings.
I am okay with all of them but i need to input a manual resolution since AMD drivers do not offer a 23.976 preset.
Can someone provide a guide or a screenshot of his custom 23.976 resolution setting?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
AMD provides 23p. if you don't get the option the issue should be your end device or your type of connection maybe even the AVR if present.

it's called 23 hz in windows AFAIK the AMD driver doesn't have it's own refreshrate settings but a custom one.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #693

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
In order to use certain image enhancing features correctly (sharpen edges, enhance detail, etc) when upscaling they need to selected in scaling algorithms>upscaling refinement and not processing>image enhancements.

What about downscaling? I can see differences made in processing>image enhancements, but not algorithms>upscaling refinement. Downscaler is Lanczos4 LL AR. Also chroma is upscaled by NGU AA medium.

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
The differences could be less noticeable. In that case, I would simply apply image enhancements instead. It could also be that upscaling refinements aren't applied when downscaling.
The one I'm interested in is enhance detail, which is noticeable in image enhancements and not at all in upscaling.

Another issue: When selecting [email protected] (HDTV) from NVCP, going fullscreen with FSE sends the display into [email protected] Problem is that the projected image is smaller on @120 than it is on @60.
Does it with 1080p and 720p files. There is no input in madvr's /display modes/list all display modes madvr may switch to:.
Not sure why. Win10x64. Benq W2000 via HDMI.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Hi Guys,

Apologies if this may seem like a silly question, however I was in a position to trade my RX 580 4GB for a fairly new Sapphire Nitro + Vega 64 card. The card is arriving later today.

I was wondering what benefits will this have over the RX580? I was getting 37ms rendering for 4K HDR content (NGU Anti Alias Medium) so apart from lowering the rendering times (I hope) what other benefits will it help me with? Was this a good choice or would it have been sensible to stick with the 580? Thank you .

·
Registered
975 Posts
Any advice for dropping render times on 60fps 4k footage. I am around 32ms on 24hz stuff but when I watch a demo file at 60hz and use that profile which is already turned down to use bicubic 60 and bicubic 150 I go into the 40-50ms range. I am running a 1080ti, thought bicubic would be low enough.

681 - 700 of 3065 Posts