AVS Forum banner

701 - 720 of 3065 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Yes, it is considered normal. Regardless of the card, highlight recovery strength eats up a lot of performance.
I tried your suggestions and even at 24ms after making the changes there was still a stutter present , not sure what's causing it, only happens on 60fps. I tried changing the Nvidia setting to Max performance as I saw that suggested as well.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Good morning guys,

Hope all is well :) I want to apologise in advance for bringing this up as I am sure it has been covered many times in the past. I use my HTPC exclusively for movie viewing. No gaming and not browsing. It serves only 1 purpose and that is to watch 4K HDR movies and some up scaled 1080p -> 4K movies with Kodi DSPLAYER and madVR (HDR tone mapping).

I have always been lead to believe and always have used the following settings (Desktop RGB 444 FULL, madVR 16-235 and my JVC projector set to Standard) in doing this I have been pretty happy with it for some time..

Yesterday I installed my new GPU Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 and changed my desktop from RGB FULL to YCBCR 4:4:4. I changed madVR to 0-255 and set my JVC to Standard) I notice that the colours were slightly richer and the some scenes that used to look to bright/slightly washed out in colour were now more natural. In addition to this I notice that on my JVC info Panel I was now also seeing the data for Color Space and Colorimetry, where as before with my previous setting they weren't showing anything.

Now I know it says SDR but the movie is in fact HDR 10bit which is showing when I view the info panel in madVR but why does it say SDR? Also what should my setting be? Should it remain on YCBCR 444 or change to 422 or 420 or even back to RGB FULL?

I know there is a conversion going on somewhere along the line however I have read somewhere as movies are all encoded in YCBCR 420 there is no conversion? I may be wrong but in changing from RGB FULL to YCBCR 444, I have noticed a pop in colour and no longer are some scenes slightly washed out. May I add the black are also not crushed it just seems really good image however I want to make sure I am doing it correctly and would like the help of the experts please :)

Also worth noting that now in the JVC AUTO and STANDARD mode under Input Level are the same and when Enhanced is selected the blacks seem a little washed out. I keep it in Standard mode.

I would appreciate your views and advise in what my Desktop and madVR setting "Display expects the following RGB level"on this should be. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #706
I tried your suggestions and even at 24ms after making the changes there was still a stutter present , not sure what's causing it, only happens on 60fps. I tried changing the Nvidia setting to Max performance as I saw that suggested as well.
You must be using some options that aren't necessary for 4K 60 fps. Uncheck anything under artifact removal, image enhancements or upscaling refinement.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,463 Posts
Forgive me if this is not the right thread to ask the following...

I own a RX580 card and want to use MADVR settings.
I am okay with all of them but i need to input a manual resolution since AMD drivers do not offer a 23.976 preset.
Can someone provide a guide or a screenshot of his custom 23.976 resolution setting?

Thanks in advance.
I use this string: 2160p24, 2160p25, 2160p30, 2160p60

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,463 Posts
How important this option, is it worth the power it takes?
It makes the image quite a bit sharper and more detailed, so it is definitely worth using with 24 fps content. It is simply difficult to enable at 4K 60 fps.
Isn't highlight recovery only going to improve the detail in highlights? These are things like explosions etc. Very brief, often less than a second. Personally, I think there are other things to prioritize to give better picture. Feel free to correct me if this is wrong.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #711 (Edited)
Isn't highlight recovery only going to improve the detail in highlights? These are things like explosions etc. Very brief, often less than a second. Personally, I think there are other things to prioritize to give better picture. Feel free to correct me if this is wrong.
It impacts anything that is compressed. That can account for a lot of pixels. It is just poorly named with the term "highlight recovery."

highlight recovery: none
highlight recovery: medium

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hi Experts,

I had a conversation with madshi in the Panamorph threat, but he won't hijack the thread for MadVR support question, therefore I want to ask here, how to use "anamorphic lens" with MadVR and Kodi.

Yes, define your "display" to be a digital projector, then in the new "screen config" settings page check the "anamorphic lens" option. Furthermore check "define visible screen area by cropping masked borders" to define which part of the projector panel is actually visible on your screen, with the anamorphic lens in the light path. If you do all this correctly, any movies should automatically be scaled to have the correct aspect ratio through the lens, and fill the full screen (as much as possible).

You will probably also want to enable automatic detection of black bars (see processing -> zoom control) so that madVR will automatically detect and handle scope movies correctly.

If you only want to have the lens in the light path for scope movies, you have to setup 2 profiles, one for scope movies (with the anamorphic lens option activated) and one for other movies (with the anamorphic lens option deactivated)

Proper auto-zooming only works if madVR understands which part of the video is actual image content and which is black bars. And black bar detection currently doesn't work with native DXVA or D3D11 decoding, so you need to switch to software decoding, or DXVA/D3D11 "copyback" decoding. Furthermore, in MPC right click on the video, then choose "Video Frame" -> "Touch Window From Inside". Finally, the screen masking setup in madVR may have to be changed for the anamorphic lens. But this only has an affect in fullscreen mode, not if you're playing the video in windowed mode.
Can somebody explain or post a link, how to use "anamorphic lens" with black bar detection without performance impact? What is the drawback if I use "copyback" for D3D11? I only can see D2D11 in Kodi with Copyback?

Thanks
S.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Is there a post somewhere to refer to render times and what one is shooting for at a given resolution?

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Rendering times are based on the frame interval, so like below:

Common Source Frame Intervals:

• 23.976 fps -> 41.71ms
  • 25 fps -> 40.00ms
  • 29.97 fps -> 33.37ms
  • 50 fps -> 20.00ms
  • 59.94 fps -> 16.68ms
Thank you, does resolution have anything to do with this?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Rendering times are based on the frame interval, so like below:

Common Source Frame Intervals:

• 23.976 fps -> 41.71ms
  • 25 fps -> 40.00ms
  • 29.97 fps -> 33.37ms
  • 50 fps -> 20.00ms
  • 59.94 fps -> 16.68ms
Thank you, does resolution have anything to do with this?
Render times are based solely on content's frames per second.

naturally, it's going to take the graphics card more time to render each frame of 2160p24 vs 1080p24 for example. but the graphics card only has 41.71 milliseconds to get his job done each frame regardless of the resolution.

-T

·
Registered
975 Posts
You must be using some options that aren't necessary for 4K 60 fps. Uncheck anything under artifact removal, image enhancements or upscaling refinement.
Thanks, between this and tweaking a few other settings I got under 16ms (9ms) and no longer have any stuttering =) Crazy how much I had to turn off \ down to drop the rendering time.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
MadVR stuttering / jerky motion

I recently built my HTPC with Intel i3 and RTX2070 card.

When using HDR tonemapping in the latest nightly builds, I have suddenly started noticing a lot of stutter (or is it judder) when playing videos. This does not happen with I use stock display renderer in MPC-HC. My content is all 4K HDR Blu-ray rips so 23/24 Hz content.

Some more context: I had a noisy RTX 2060, and there was no judder issue using this. Only after i swapped it out with RTX2070 did this start.

As for my settings:
NVidia: RGB 8 bit, Full, 4k23p
MadVR: No image enhancements, Chroma upscaling: NGU - Sharp, HDR tonemap using custom shaders

I am running the latest Nvidia drivers.

Any advice on how to fix this!

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
975 Posts
I recently built my HTPC with Intel i3 and RTX2070 card.

When using HDR tonemapping in the latest nightly builds, I have suddenly started noticing a lot of stutter (or is it judder) when playing videos. This does not happen with I use stock display renderer in MPC-HC. My content is all 4K HDR Blu-ray rips so 23/24 Hz content.

Some more context: I had a noisy RTX 2060, and there was no judder issue using this. Only after i swapped it out with RTX2070 did this start.

As for my settings:

NVidia: RGB 8 bit, Full, 4k23p

MadVR: No image enhancements, Chroma upscaling: NGU - Sharp, HDR tonemap using custom shaders

I am running the latest Nvidia drivers.

Any advice on how to fix this!

Thanks in advance
What is the render time in Ms at the bottom of the status page when you hit control j? It would need to be less than 41ms at 24hz playback.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
What is the render time in Ms at the bottom of the status page when you hit control j? It would need to be less than 41ms at 24hz playback.
Its around 20 - 24 ms at most times. :confused:

Frames dont drop ... they are just very jerky

701 - 720 of 3065 Posts