AVS Forum banner

741 - 760 of 3038 Posts

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,428 Posts
DXVA2 copyback works with everything.

the copyback operation cost performance it hard to measure but it's clearly not much.
I'm pretty sure that D3D11 also has a copyback built into it. Otherwise, madVR couldn't use this mode to do tone mapping etc. If I remember right, madshi was actually recommending using D3D11 now in the HDR to SDR for projectors thread. I've been using d3d11 and haven't found any features not working with it.

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
I tried again by following this exactly https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/233290-high-quality-video-playback-on-windows/ and it is working but very subtle so it may have been working yesterday and I couldn't tell. I only see the difference by flipping back and forth on the same frame paused in MPC-HC/EVR-CP and MPC-BE/madVR. I only see a sharpening effect. I added more enhancements and I can see the change but again, still subtle, and possibly some artifacts introduced by the enhancements. I'll have to go through the settings again tomorrow now that I know it's functioning on my PC and see what I can get. I was expecting a more drastic enhancement, or at least some change in color/contrast.
Yeah this is AVSforum, we spend tons of money and waste hours tinkering for a tiny egde in quality.

I like madvr because I know that its outputting the best quality. But I am like you and don't notice a huge difference. I just enjoy to know that I am having the best experience my gear can give me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah this is AVSforum, we spend tons of money and waste hours tinkering for a tiny egde in quality.

I like madvr because I know that its outputting the best quality. But I am like you and don't notice a huge difference. I just enjoy to know that I am having the best experience my gear can give me.
I waste time and money too but have a limit. If I can't see (or hear) improvement without careful side by side comparison I move on and forget about it (or at least try to). The way people praise madVR I was almost expecting it to make my DVDs look like blu-ray. I'm sure I'll be watching everything through madVR from now on because it's already there. I still play all of my blu-rays and DVDs with DarbeeVision turned on (a very regrettable purchase) just because I already have it and can see a subtle improvement. But I also know that if someone secretly disabled my Darbee I would never notice.

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
I waste time and money too but have a limit. If I can't see (or hear) improvement without careful side by side comparison I move on and forget about it (or at least try to). The way people praise madVR I was almost expecting it to make my DVDs look like blu-ray. I'm sure I'll be watching everything through madVR from now on because it's already there. I still play all of my blu-rays and DVDs with DarbeeVision turned on (a very regrettable purchase) just because I already have it and can see a subtle improvement. But I also know that if someone secretly disabled my Darbee I would never notice.
Ha I am with you. I thought the same thing about it that the differences would be much more. Even when one has to do careful side by side to see a difference I have to ask myself what is the point. I actually went back to an HTPC for fun because of everyone saying how the Nvidia Shield has such poor image quality. I can't say I have noticed much difference switching between the two. I am sure if I did side by side they would be there but still...

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm pretty sure that D3D11 also has a copyback built into it. Otherwise, madVR couldn't use this mode to do tone mapping etc. If I remember right, madshi was actually recommending using D3D11 now in the HDR to SDR for projectors thread. I've been using d3d11 and haven't found any features not working with it.

Black bar detection does not work with D3D11 without Copyback. In Kodi you only can choose D3D11 or DXVA2 "copyback" or do I misunderstood something?

UPDATE:

With DXVA2 “copyback” movie is like a slideshow, even with a Nvidia 2070, but black bar detection works.

From my testing it seams that anamorphic lens does not work with MadVR when 4K upscaling or HDR is been used. :(

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
and yes d3d11 has a copyback mode which is slower then dxva2 copyback.

so you are not noticing the missing feature of blackbar detection that's the topic here?
if you don't look for it or test the feature that are not supposed to work with you will not encounter them.
why don't you go a head and play an intelraced file with it it's which is still the most watch file type on earth.

and if you really have an link to an announcement where d3d11 native is needed for anything in madVR for more then >testing propose< feel free to link it.
@eccoboy
please don't tell me you are not using an darbee or something like this while testing madVR.
@Shepardos
blackbar detection can add a lot more processing need. so please add a screen of the OSD.
and did you type in the lens stretch factor?

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,428 Posts
and yes d3d11 has a copyback mode which is slower then dxva2 copyback.

so you are not noticing the missing feature of blackbar detection that's the topic here?
if you don't look for it or test the feature that are not supposed to work with you will not encounter them.
why don't you go a head and play an intelraced file with it it's which is still the most watch file type on earth.

and if you really have an link to an announcement where d3d11 native is needed for anything in madVR for more then >testing propose< feel free to link it.
I don't have a link to an announcement. It was in the thread I mentioned above, but that thread is pretty big and I'm not interested in manually searching it (if you were curious enough you could do the same search). Ever since that recommendation, I moved to D3D11. I don't see any additional options for D3D11 to enable or disable copy back. But if D3D11 didn't have a copy back, then it would not be possible for madVR to get the frame to measure for tone mapping HDR. I use to use black bar detection in the past to move the black bars to the top of the screen. I no longer use this feature anymore. I don't have any interlaced files. I don't agree that it's the "most watched file type on earth" either that's ridiculous. Most stuff is film which is not interlaced.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
madVR can do the copyback on it own.
and the copyback in lavfilter is selecting a GPU.

I don't have any interlaced files. I don't agree that it's the "most watched file type on earth" either that's ridiculous. Most stuff is film which is not interlaced.
i'm pretty sure there is more soccer interlaced broadcast then all films combined and that's only a very small fraction of all the interlaced content created right now.
and so turns ridiculous into into well i forgot that part.

·
Registered
269 Posts
So i finally built out my unraid htpc with an rtx2080 and i'm now properly fiddling around with madvr. Using madmeasure78 with neoxp settings. It looks great except for some issues with high nit fire/explosions. Where i first noticed this was in the opening scene of infinity war after the ship explodes and we get a slow pan of a giant burning sun. It seems that as it pans, some of the flare outlines clip really hard and turn almost white. If i pause the video it's fine, but if i start advancing it frame by frame, the issue manifests itself in between frames. I've tried playing around with variations of different settings and i can't get that artifact to go away. I'm running this into my rs3000 in bt2020 mode with calibration settings for 2020 selected in madvr. Has anyone else run into this? I can also notice it in the opening explosions in mad max.

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
madVR can do the copyback on it own.
and the copyback in lavfilter is selecting a GPU.

i'm pretty sure there is more soccer interlaced broadcast then all films combined and that's only a very small fraction of all the interlaced content created right now.
and so turns ridiculous into into well i forgot that part.
Oh my mistake. We all have tons of soccer clips just laying around.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Oh my mistake. We all have tons of soccer clips just laying around.
yeah clips...
who cares about those DVB user.
who cares about user literal asking for blackbar detection just use d3d11 it works for me because i don't use blackbar detection and i have so much knowable about this topic none needs blackbar detection all the work madshi did totally wasted!
screw those guys putting in there favoured dvd in after 10.

how ignorant can you be?

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
yeah clips...
who cares about those DVB user.
who cares about user literal asking for blackbar detection just use d3d11 it works for me because i don't use blackbar detection and i have so much knowable about this topic none needs blackbar detection all the work madshi did totally wasted!
screw those guys putting in there favoured dvd in after 10.

how ignorant can you be?
I'm not sure why you're insulting me. I never said no one needs black bar detection. I said black bar detection works fine in D3D11 mode. Here I just tested it again and took screen captures.

Here is my LAV Filter windows showing D3D11 is enabled:

Here is my madVR showing that I have enabled black bar detection and selected to move the picture to the top of the screen. Behind the window you can even see the picture has moved to the top.

My statement is that black bar detection works fine using D3D11 because D3D11 provides copy back. It has to otherwise madVR's tone mapping features would also not work. This allows the video card to decode the stream and provides a buffer of the decoded frame for the renderer to examine. That's the copy back. There are no other options in LAV filters to check to enable copy back when using D3D11. It's automatic and just how it works.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
why don't you take a UHD BD not a rip with native resolution of 3840x2160 and an 21/9 movie in it.

because fun fact you are not even using the feature! "crop black bars" is not checked. you are just movie an image up with works with a native decoder. so you are only able to move an image to to detect blackbars.

the only thing madVR is able to detect with a native decoder is black bars that are created by madVR itself.
which has a very limited use every decent media player can do this too.
and at one point blackbar detection and deinterlancing will work with d3d11 native but sadly not yet.

a least there is no reason for me to be mad at you if you simply don't know how this works.

working: https://abload.de/img/blackbardetectionwork52k09.png
not working: https://abload.de/img/blackbardetectionnotwu4jgr.png
source some random youtube trailer.

BTW d3d11 native would be pointless if it would do a copyback the whole point of a native decoder is that it doesn't need a copyback operation and that'S the reason why it is supposed to be faster.

·
Registered
50 Posts
So i finally built out my unraid htpc with an rtx2080 and i'm now properly fiddling around with madvr. Using madmeasure78 with neoxp settings. It looks great except for some issues with high nit fire/explosions. Where i first noticed this was in the opening scene of infinity war after the ship explodes and we get a slow pan of a giant burning sun. It seems that as it pans, some of the flare outlines clip really hard and turn almost white. If i pause the video it's fine, but if i start advancing it frame by frame, the issue manifests itself in between frames. I've tried playing around with variations of different settings and i can't get that artifact to go away. I'm running this into my rs3000 in bt2020 mode with calibration settings for 2020 selected in madvr. Has anyone else run into this? I can also notice it in the opening explosions in mad max.
I have seen this as well with my NX9, but I've also seen it on some regular Blu-ray content (drive plumes from some of the spaceships in Season 3 of the Expanse). I figure it's a firmware bug with the NX9 or related to other video issues I'm seeing (I'm waiting for a replacement). I'm still on the 1.17 firmware.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I went back and changed settings based on this guide: https://anime.my/tutorials/madvr/ and found that if I disable "image enhancements" options, I see zero difference between madvr and evr-cp. Only by enabling all of the image enhancements do I see a small change (sharper image). Since this guide is obviously for anime I even used a 720p anime video for my testing.

I wanted to see what I'm missing so I checked out these screenshot comparisons: https://wiki.mikejung.biz/MadVR_Chroma_Upscaling_720p_Image_Quality
...and I see the same screenshot posted 10 times. Is this a joke?

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
I went back and changed settings based on this guide: https://anime.my/tutorials/madvr/ and found that if I disable "image enhancements" options, I see zero difference between madvr and evr-cp. Only by enabling all of the image enhancements do I see a small change (sharper image). Since this guide is obviously for anime I even used a 720p anime video for my testing.

I wanted to see what I'm missing so I checked out these screenshot comparisons: https://wiki.mikejung.biz/MadVR_Chroma_Upscaling_720p_Image_Quality
...and I see the same screenshot posted 10 times. Is this a joke?
Lol thats hilarious, you had your magnifying glass out correct? Can't say I saw much difference either. Not that it doesn't do anything but maybe that wasn't the best example.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
If you don't notice the enhancement madVR processes to video, consider the other important duties it makes possible like HDR private API interaction for those passing through and HDR to SDR tone mapping for those that can't.

741 - 760 of 3038 Posts