AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. I installed MPC-HC and MadVR on my sandy bridge i7 laptop (i7-2670QM w/HD3000 and Win7) and tried using the setting recommended by renethx in this post -- http://www.avsforum.com/t/1303066/official-sandy-bridge-lga1155-for-htpcs-thread/1890#post_21014311 . Unfortunately my GPU clock speed is throttled to 650MHz and can't be increased and my 16GB RAM is locked down to 1333MHz also. So given those limitations what settings should I really be using? I'm getting a lot of dropped frames (around one every other minute) and nothing I try to do with the settings seems to change that.

Basically I'm just trying to experiment w/the best upscaling and picture quality I can get if I want to use this laptop as my traveling HTPC. For a laptop like this w/a beefy CPU but fairly limited graphics is MadVR even my best option or is there an alternative that's more CPU dependent instead? I want to be able to both upscale/downscale to the laptop's 1600x900 display and to 1080p when connected via HDMI. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
The best opton for HD 3000 is

Chroma upscaling: Bicubic 75 (or whatever)

Image upscaling: DXVA2

Image downscaling: DXVA2

Intel DXVA2 is equivalent to Lanczos with AR, not bad.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx  /t/1522879/madvr-settings-for-hd3000-laptop#post_24491519

The best opton for HD 3000 is

Chroma upscaling: Bicubic 75 (or whatever)

Image upscaling: DXVA2

Image downscaling: DXVA2

Intel DXVA2 is equivalent to Lanczos with AR, not bad.

Thanks Rene. So I assume DXVA2 (native) should be set as the hardware decoder also (under View/Options/Video Decoder)? Other options there are DXVA2 (copy-back), Intel QuickSync, or None.

Sorry if this is remedial stuff btw. This is my first time trying to set up MadVR.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador  /t/1522879/madvr-settings-for-hd3000-laptop/0_100#post_24491643

Thanks Rene. So I assume DXVA2 (native) should be set as the hardware decoder also (under View/Options/Video Decoder)? Other options there are DXVA2 (copy-back), Intel QuickSync, or None.

Sorry if this is remedial stuff btw. This is my first time trying to set up MadVR.

I use the settings renethx posted and Intel Quicksync decoding in LAV.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Personally I use DXVA2 (copy-back). This and "None" support madVR's IVTC properly (add the flag "deint=ivtc" in the file name). Right now madVR can't detect deinterlacing mode (video or film) so this has to be specified manually.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again. I'm still seeing a dropped frame nearly every other minute reported through CTRL J but I can't say I actually notice it while watching the movie itself. So should I just disregard that or is there anything I could do about that also? From Mindbomb's MPC-HC guide it doesn't sound like my setup meets the requirements for Reclock so is there any other tweak through MadVR that would help?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
If you don't notice dropped frames, then you shouldn't worry (obviously). Personally I turn on "smooth motion frame rate conversion", that will make panning scenes smoother noticeably with a 60Hz display.

Intel HD Graphics in Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge does not give precise 23.976Hz refresh rate, so there is a dropped frame ever ~4 minutes (when you output 23Hz to an external display). Reclock adjusts playback rate to the graphics refresh rate so that there won't be dropped frames. Perhaps madVR's "smooth motion frame rate conversion" is an easier fix.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again renethx. The dropped frame info doesn't actually bother me, it's more a matter of trying to make sure I'm using the right settings to get the best picture I can. I did enable smooth motion using the "only if there would be motion judder without it" setting and tested some panning scenes and it does look better.

I'm sure there are other settings I'll tweak as I read more but this is a good start. Really appreciate your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts