AVS Forum banner

621 - 640 of 1220 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
"I am also experiencing problems with the tool".
Who else?

"You can no longer see differences etc...".
Since when exactly? Which version of our tool? For the exact same scene? What did you change in between?

What scene are you watching? Movie, time code and screenshot would help.

What parameters are you using for the dynamic target nits? Again screenshot would help.

You say you are getting the same same "stats"/ dynamic target nits numbers no matter what you set for the "dynamic tuning ".
This can happen is the scene frames have a peak lower than your set "NO compression limit" or minimum target nits. In this case: target nits = peak nits. And that would be the normal behavior.

And no: the static target nits only use your "real display nits" as input. Nothing else. So everything normal there. ;)

Having done a number of experiments, I don't think it's your tool. If I use min & max of 20 I do see a difference. I think the problem is I'm using Ghost in the Shell (dark movie) and the dynamic nits tuning just doesn't come into play on such a dark movie.

I will try some other movies before I post again.

·
Registered
173 Posts
"I am also experiencing problems with the tool".
Who else?

"You can no longer see differences etc...".
Since when exactly? Which version of our tool? For the exact same scene? What did you change in between?

What scene are you watching? Movie, time code and screenshot would help.

What parameters are you using for the dynamic target nits? Again screenshot would help.

You say you are getting the same same "stats"/ dynamic target nits numbers no matter what you set for the "dynamic tuning ".
This can happen is the scene frames have a peak lower than your set "NO compression limit" or minimum target nits. In this case: target nits = peak nits. And that would be the normal behavior.

And no: the static target nits only use your "real display nits" as input. Nothing else. So everything normal there. /forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

Having done a number of experiments, I don't think it's your tool. If I use min & max of 20 I do see a difference. I think the problem is I'm using Ghost in the Shell (dark movie) and the dynamic nits tuning just doesn't come into play on such a dark movie.

I will try some other movies before I post again.
If you still have the no compression limit set to 200 that will be your problem, the algo doesn't do anything bellow the compression limit and ghost in the shell is a very dim movie.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I can report that once setup and tested carefully, I can use two profiles in madvr, one for HDR and one for SDR. The HDR is set to 100 nits and I have no problems whatsoever.

I need these two profiles in order to automatically switch my projector to the according mode via script in madvr. Since I had issues with Bladrunner 2049 I used that for testing.

What a picture! :)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #624
I can report that once setup and tested carefully, I can use two profiles in madvr, one for HDR and one for SDR. The HDR is set to 100 nits and I have no problems whatsoever.

I need these two profiles in order to automatically switch my projector to the according mode via script in madvr. Since I had issues with Bladrunner 2049 I used that for testing.

What a picture! :)
Great!
With a single hdr profile with a target nits of 100nits, you are all good :)

Whatever other profile you have next to it, sdr etc does no count ;)

Only having a single hdr target profile with 100nits matters.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
If you still have the no compression limit set to 200 that will be your problem, the algo doesn't do anything bellow the compression limit and ghost in the shell is a very dim movie.
Thanks for mentioning this. Does anyone know what the algorithm did before we were able to specify this 'no compression limit'? I feel I was getting a much better picture earlier and perhaps this is why. Should I be setting this value to my true peak nits (in my case 87) or maybe even zero?

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Unfortunately the tool "hangs" (no response from madmeasuredynamicclipping Tool V3.5.1) after I start the measurement. Any suggestion how I can troubleshoot why it is not working, or is this "normal" during measurement that the program does not respond?
This is normal. It's calling another .exe to measure the files and takes approximately 15 minutes per file (assuming you have LAV filters set to Native DX11 otherwise it could take hours...)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #629
Thanks for mentioning this. Does anyone know what the algorithm did before we were able to specify this 'no compression limit'? I feel I was getting a much better picture earlier and perhaps this is why. Should I be setting this value to my true peak nits (in my case 87) or maybe even zero?
Please always share all your current settings when asking for support. ;)

Also the previous one where you liked it better.

But anything you could do before is still possible. Algo avgHL is still there and if you set the no compression limit to 100 with this algo, it will be identical to old versions.

With the new algo: avgFALL, no compression limit to 200 is currently the best choice.

Below the no compression limit in both cases: target nits= frame peak nits

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Please always share all your current settings when asking for support. ;)

Also the previous one where you liked it better.

But anything you could do before is still possible. Algo avgHL is still there and if you set the no compression limit to 100 with this algo, it will be identical to old versions.

With the new algo: avgFALL, no compression limit to 200 is currently the best choice.

Below the no compression limit in both cases: target nits= frame peak nits
Thanks, Flo. Can you briefly explain why 200 compression limit is the best choice for the new algorithm?

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Thanks, Flo. Can you briefly explain why 200 compression limit is the best choice for the new algorithm?
Also, is the Dynamic Target Nits Tuning limited to 50-100 for the previous (avgHL) algo?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Ok, I'm a little bit confused after reading sonicharts post regarding creating one hdr profile.

Can someone please provide a screen shot of what it looks like in MadVR when @Soulnight writes "one target nits profile, no rule, and set to 100nits in madVR"

Many thanks to soulnight and others!!!
I'm enjoying HDR movies more than ever!

//P

Sorry I didn't follow-up on this topic. This is what my setup looks like for the HDR config.

@Soulnight I hope i'm not stepping on toes...

Capture.JPG

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #633

·
Registered
173 Posts
I believe it was originally hard coded to 100 so you probably shouldn't set it any lower than that, but it never hurts to try. Personally I don't find it that useful and just set it to the same value as minimal target and use the dynamic tuning to dial in the low end targets instead.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
I believe it was originally hard coded to 100 so you probably shouldn't set it any lower than that, but it never hurts to try. Personally I don't find it that useful and just set it to the same value as minimal target and use the dynamic tuning to dial in the low end targets instead.
Thanks, Dexter.

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
I am on the PC trying to make screenshots comparing settings, and this shot is not showing any changes to the image in this scene, no matter what I put in Dynamic tuning and also No compression Limit. Peak nits is 85.

The data for the frame in question indicates:

The image looks identical even if I enter 200 for Dynamic tuning and 300 for NCL?

Did I just pick a bad test frame?

Edit- yeah I was able to get other shots which measure higher to show clear differences. Interesting this one shot will not change from 312 nits target. Any reason why this shot wont change? Is there some logic behind it? Not a big deal, just trying to understand what its doing here.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I am on the PC trying to make screenshots comparing settings, and this shot is not showing any changes to the image in this scene, no matter what I put in Dynamic tuning and also No compression Limit. Peak nits is 85.

The data for the frame in question indicates:

The image looks identical even if I enter 200 for Dynamic tuning and 300 for NCL?

Did I just pick a bad test frame?

Edit- yeah I was able to get other shots which measure higher to show clear differences. Interesting this one shot will not change from 312 nits target. Any reason why this shot wont change? Is there some logic behind it? Not a big deal, just trying to understand what its doing here.
The FALL algo is capped at 2x average highlights so that would be my guess. The higher the dynamic tuning value the higher the multiplier applied to FALL to select the target but once you hit that cap it doesn't go any higher. You also have to keep in mind that the rolling average is adjusting the target for each given frame based on the previous and future frames. So for testing an individual frame you would want to set that to 0

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #638 (Edited)
@Javs

The dynamic target nits algo have for general rule:

"Never set the target nits higher than the current frame peak."

Since this would only throw brightness away.

In your example, the OSD show 312 frame peak, that's why your target nits can't go any higher.

:)

Of course with rolling avg, you can be slightly higher in some cases.

So for this frame, 312 is the upper limit. But you can most certainly get a lower target nits if you choose:
- no compression limit: 200
- dynamic tuning 25 (or less).

With Fall algo:

Target nits with peak above 200nits=
Min(frame peak, 2×avgHL, 200+ 2×dynamic tuning/50 × FALL)

With 25 dynamic tuning:
Target nits=200+ FALL

·
Registered
364 Posts
I need to understand some basics: I guess we have to fill out the real measured “minimum targets nits” on the main page? Now, with “dynamic tuning” I can choose between a brighter image “dynamic tuning < minimum target nits” or a darker with more HDR effect “dynamic tuning > minimum target nits”

Is this relationship correct between the values?

·
Registered
173 Posts
@Javs

The dynamic target nits algo have for general rule:

"Never set the target nits higher than the current frame peak."

Since this would only throw brightness away.

In your example, the OSD show 312 frame peak, that's why your target nits can't go any higher.

:)

Of course with rolling avg, you can be slightly higher in some cases.

So for this frame, 312 is the upper limit. But you can most certainly get a lower target nits if you choose:
- no compression limit: 200
- dynamic tuning 25 (or less).

With Fall algo:

Target nits with peak above 200nits=
Min(frame peak, 2×avgHL, 200+ 2×dynamic tuning/50 × FALL)

With 25 dynamic tuning:
Target nits=200+ FALL
Is it always 200 + FALL or is 200 from the no compression limit?

621 - 640 of 1220 Posts