AVS Forum banner

681 - 700 of 1220 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Sure, it's both dynamic HDR. Maybe not exactly the same result, because we're really focused on projection with low light output (we have 50 nits on the screen). That's why we also do clipping to get an overall less compressed picture.

It would be interesting, if someone compared the two 😊
Looking at the screenshot in the opening post, I'm led to believe peak brightness is configurable, so this could theoretically applied to OLED screens too, correct?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have ripped some of my titles to BD Folders because I need to use the menus to access some of the content, and I use jRiver to do this. Most of my titles are ripped to .mkv with makemkv (main movie only with only the audio and subs tracks I want) because that's simpler, it takes less space for no quality loss (1:1 for audio and video) and measurements/tools work fine that way.

It would be nice if we could get BD Folders support both for MadVR measurements and optimization, but only if it's done cleverly (and if it actually works!). :)

When/if BD Folders are supported, I might re-rip more of my titles to BD Folders, but I'm hoping that Madshi will manage to implement Soulnight's algo in the live algo of MadVR with his magic dust and that none of this will be necessary...
That's exactly the reason why I have some movies in BDMV folder structure. Most of my movies I rip directly to mkv but for some I just want to have the BD menu so i rip them to BDMV.
So until now you just don't measure and optimize your movies in BD folders correct?
Are you only using JRiver as a player or also MPC-BE e.g.?

P.S. Thanks @sonichart but for above reason MakeMKV is no solution for me :)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #683
Looking at the screenshot in the opening post, I'm led to believe peak brightness is configurable, so this could theoretically applied to OLED screens too, correct?
Yes.
@Neo-XP has an OLED TV for example and is using our tool.

·
Premium Member
9,828 Posts
That's exactly the reason why I have some movies in BDMV folder structure. Most of my movies I rip directly to mkv but for some I just want to have the BD menu so i rip them to BDMV.
So until now you just don't measure and optimize your movies in BD folders correct?
Are you only using JRiver as a player or also MPC-BE e.g.?

P.S. Thanks @sonichart but for above reason MakeMKV is no solution for me :)
Yes at the moment I don't optimize my ripped BD Folders. I have the main movie ripped separately as .mkv and optimized anyway.

At the moment I only use jRiver when I need menus from BD folders.

Otherwise I use MPC-BE, with MyMovies/MCE as a front end.

This is getting off topic so let's leave it here :)

·
Registered
1,461 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
What settings should I use for OLED 65C8 ?

·
Registered
798 Posts
can you please advise me what the difference is between madMeasureHDR.exe and your standalone tool V3.5.6?
It's on this very page :)
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/3040072-madvr-tool-madmeasurehdr-optimizer-measurements-dynamic-clipping-target-nits-23.html#post57553214

@Soulnight , @AKJ89 : I think the first post needs to include some basic summary, usage, current bugs and workaround for bugs (if it exist) for newcomers. Otherwise you'll be asked about the same thing over and over again :) (Now it's easy, you can just copy-paste what you have already written in previous posts.)

·
Registered
114 Posts
@ Neo-XP

I read by chance that you use an Oled TV with the tool , if I may ask , currently with the tool , what settings do you use?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
@ Neo-XP

I read by chance that you use an Oled TV with the tool , if I may ask , currently with the tool , what settings do you use?
Currently, I am waiting for the new bug-fixed version of the tool to come out to decide :D

But in the previous version (V3.5.1), I was using the following without any problem:

Minimal target nits: Use your real display peak nits

Maximal target nits: 10000
Dynamic Target Nits Tuning [50-100]: 50 (because I like bright images, but increase it to 75, 100 or more if you find it too bright and you prefer a dimmer image with more "HDR effect")
No compression limit [nits]: 0 (or same as "Minimal target nits", identical result anyway)

Time for rolling average in frames: 120
Merge scenes [FALL change in %]: 100
Minimal chapter duration in frames: 0
Merge chapters [avgFALL change in %]: 0

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #691
madmeasuredynamicclipping Tool V3.5.8

NEW VERSION V3.5.8

Download:

http://projectiondream.com/download/madmeasuredynamicclipping/

NEW:

- Changed middle range (target nits between "No compression Limit" and 200nits) of the FALL algo to scale with dynamic tuning:
Target Nits= dynamic Tuning /50 *avgHL

@So now @Neo-XP you're good to go ;-)

As a reminder, the middle part of the FALL algo is only active IF both dynamic tuning

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #692
It's on this very page :)
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/3040072-madvr-tool-madmeasurehdr-optimizer-measurements-dynamic-clipping-target-nits-23.html#post57553214

@Soulnight , @AKJ89 : I think the first post needs to include some basic summary, usage, current bugs and workaround for bugs (if it exist) for newcomers. Otherwise you'll be asked about the same thing over and over again :) (Now it's easy, you can just copy-paste what you have already written in previous posts.)
Wanted to do that for a longer time... And don't find the time. :rolleyes:

Someone to volonteer? :D

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #693
Currently, I am waiting for the new bug-fixed version of the tool to come out to decide :D

But in the previous version (V3.5.1), I was using the following without any problem:

Dynamic Target Nits Tuning [50-100]: 50 (because I like bright images, but increase it to 75, 100 or more if you find it too bright and you prefer a dimmer image with more "HDR effect")
No compression limit [nits]: 0 (or same as "Minimal target nits", identical result anyway)

So how do you like the new mid zone for target nits between "No compression Limit" and 200 target nits?
Did you try it yet with 50 dynamic tuning and V3.5.6?
V3.5.8 will be identical with 50 dynamic tuning.

It will only yields different results with a dynamic tuning between 50 and 100.

Also question to you and everyone else:
1) what is the minimum "Time for rolling avg" you can use before you can see some negative effects?

Any good reason for the 120 frames of Neo-XP (5s with 24p content)? :)

2) Do you all agree ( @Manni01, @Dexter Kane @Javs ) with @Neo-XP values chapters settings in combination with the FALL algo?
3) Any need to keep the avgHL algo?

·
Premium Member
9,828 Posts
1) what is the minimum "Time for rolling avg" you can use before you can see some negative effects?[/B]
Any good reason for the 120 frames of Neo-XP (5s with 24p content)? :)
I'm using the default of 240s. Happy to reconsider if someone provides examples where this is an issue.

2) Do you all agree ( @Manni01, @Dexter Kane @Javs ) with @Neo-XP values chapters settings in combination with the FALL algo?
No, I'm using the default values. Happy to reconsider if someone provides examples where this is an issue.

Note that I don't share Neo's taste for brightness :)

I use only have 100nits peak at the moment and am using a tuning of 200nits and a compression limit of 300nits. This might be why I don't need to change the default values, because I'm compressing a lot less.

I'm not using it anymore. Is there a reason to take it out?

I haven't had the time to do much extended testing and I'm expecting my new rs2000 around the week-end (before or after), so I'm not really doing any fine-tuning until I know what my peak brightness is going to be with the new PJ. I'm expecting to use between 140nits and 200nits, but I'll decide once I see the pros and cons of each extreme. I'd rather stay in low lamp if I can (better black levels).

[EDIT: just saw the new version, looking forward to testing :)]

·
Registered
173 Posts
Currently, I am waiting for the new bug-fixed version of the tool to come out to decide /forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

So how do you like the new mid zone for target nits between "No compression Limit" and 200 target nits?
Did you try it yet with 50 dynamic tuning and V3.5.6?
V3.5.8 will be identical with 50 dynamic tuning.

It will only yields different results with a dynamic tuning between 50 and 100.

Also question to you and everyone else:
1) what is the minimum "Time for rolling avg" you can use before you can see some negative effects?

Any good reason for the 120 frames of Neo-XP (5s with 24p content)? /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

I'm using 120 because it looks better to me, reacting faster gives more 'pop' but there are a handful of scenes where the change is noticeable and to make it unnoticeable it would have to be 480, but I find 480 too slow and considering that I've only run in to a couple of problem scenes I'm happy with 120.

The only scene I can remember specifically having a problem with (I can get a timestamp later if needed) is the scene in the original blade runner in Decker's apartment where he tells what's-her-name that her memories are fake. There are some back and forth shots between the two characters and with 120 or 240 I could see the brightness in the background changing, with 480 it looked okay.

However as I said I still prefer to use 120 even with scenes like that. One scene that I can think of which I think looks better with 120 over 240 or 480 is the scene in fury Road after the sandstorm where Max arrives at the war rig, the faster reaction time makes this scene look much better in my opinion.

I really like my chapter settings of:

Merge scenes: 350
Minimum chapter durration: 24
Merge chapters: 200

24 is the lowest I can go for chapter duration before scenes like the sandstorm in mad max start looking bad, I think going too high though makes the chapter changes somewhat arbitrary.

EDIT: I went to look up the timecode for the blade runner scene and now I can't see it, so I don't know, maybe 120 works without any problems. (the scene is at around 32 minutes)

·
Registered
173 Posts
@Soulnight

I think it's safe to remove the avgHL algo, it doesn't seem like anyone is still using it. If you do remove it instead of removing the bright spot fix box would you consider replacing it with a minimum FALL option? Where if the FALL is lower than the value used then the target will equal the minimal target and if its higher then it uses the algo as normal. I would like this myself but I think it will be good for people who prefer to have the maximum brightness for dark scenes even if there are highlights. It might also allow users who would otherwise use a low dynamic tuning value to use a higher value, or a higher no compression limit value.

For me having a little more control over dark scenes would make this tool (which is already awesome) pretty much perfect

·
Registered
943 Posts
Guys, first of I want to say a big thank you to Ana and Flo, @madshi, @Onkyoman @Soulnight @Manni and all you fantastic guys on here who is making this possible. I have never enjoyed HDR on my projector like this before. How blessed we truly are to have amazing people who create these fantastic tools to make movie watching for us much more enjoyable than our projectors usual standard tone mapping. Thank you.

Please forgive my ignorance but I have been out of touch with the madVR tone mapping for sometime and I am trying to catch up. I understand that I must run each movie through either madmeasureHDR.exe or the madMeasureDynamicClipping Tool itself. Now here are a few questions I hope you guys can please help me:

1 - When I run through the madmeasureHDR.exe within the madVR folder it creates the file in the movies folder which is great and it actually work however the dynamic target nits does not seem to be changing can someone please explain this to me as I have seen some sample videos posted on here where others dynamic target nits change from scene to scene.

I used to have different profiles for different nits however I have removed all and only select 100 nits in the HDR tab under my JVC in madVR menu as this is what I understand I am supposed to do???

2 - when I try to use the madMeasureDynamic clipping standalone program v3.5.8 it give me an error message. Please see the attached pictures .

I am not sure what I am doing wrong but all I really want to be able to do I guess is

1 - I would like to batch process my .mkv files as I have over 200 x 4K movies and I don't really want to do them one at a time as it's so time consuming

2 - I would really like dynamic target nits to work for me but not sure how I am supposed to get it to work...

I am also using the latest madVR test build 3.92 (I think thats the version number)

Really appreciate if I could get some help and thanks again to everyone :)

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
1 - When I run through the madmeasureHDR.exe within the madVR folder it creates the file in the movies folder which is great and it actually work however the dynamic target nits does not seem to be changing can someone please explain this to me as I have seen some sample videos posted on here where others dynamic target nits change from scene to scene.

2 - when I try to use the madMeasureDynamic clipping standalone program v3.5.8 it give me an error message. Please see the attached pictures .
Yesterday I also tried this and the same and different things are:
-When I tried the standalone program v3.5.6 for a mkv file it give me the same error message. To avoid this I used the madmeasureHDR.exe (I created a shotcut and draged the mkv file to it) to create the measurement file in the mkv folder.

-Then I have to use the madMeasureDynamic clipping standalone program v3.5.6 to process the madmeasurement file to create a .txt file
Now the dynamic target nits are working. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #699
I'm trying to use the Soulnight's optimized misurement file and some movies looks perfect, but in others the brightness variations are really noticiable, so it's very hard to use it (in my opinion): I mean, I prefer madVR in "static mode" (without the file)

For example in "The greatest showman" during the song of the "swedish nightingale" singer (around the minute 49) I got continuous changes on the white of her dress, on the background, or almost everytime the subject in front of the camera changes quickly.

Maybe be I'm missing something: I used the last version of the tool, 75 nits as target and everything else at default; the PJ is a JVC RS49 and I'm using a Rec. BT.709 3DLut (all chain is RGB Full, 8bit).

Is there something I could do to improve the stability of the vision? Could someone who possess the movie check the same scene?
Please post a screenshot of all the settings you are using.

Chapter stability is controlled by:
- Rolling avg time in frames
- Merge scenes
- Merge Chapters
- Minimum chapter duration

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #700
Yesterday I also tried this and the same and different things are:
-When I tried the standalone program v3.5.6 for a mkv file it give me the same error message. To avoid this I used the madmeasureHDR.exe (I created a shotcut and draged the mkv file to it) to create the measurement file in the mkv folder.

-Then I have to use the madMeasureDynamic clipping standalone program v3.5.6 to process the madmeasurement file to create a .txt file
Now the dynamic target nits are working. Hope that helps.
Generally, when people report getting an error with our tool because they either:
- did not install properly madvr beta 39
- did not setup the path to madVR properly within our tool
- tried to analyze folder with no write access / protected location
- tried to analyze folder on a NAS location without mapping the NAS before to a local network location (adress a letter to the drive)

681 - 700 of 1220 Posts