AVS Forum banner

801 - 820 of 1220 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #802
@Soulnight The scene from The Matrix Reloaded is here to test the dynamic clipping:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/b2gw6e9n23ypeua/The+Matrix+Reloaded+(2003)+UHD+scene+1.mkv

It is not working for me with madVR (madVRhdrMeasure47, default values) and with your tool (V3.6.2, default values), but it is not an issue to me really, because I don't want any clipping.
Thanks! I'll take a look.
I understand the "word" clipping may hurt your ears or scare you away.
:D
However, what scares me more is too loose most of the highlights details if they are compressed heavily.
(everything is "there" but so compressed you actually don't see any detail anymore for example)

I prefer to loose detail in 0,05% of the picture than to loose the whole dynamic range and details in the complete 20% area of the highlights due to really heavy compression just because those 0,05% were shooting for 3000nits even if the rest was all below 300nits. ;)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #804
Does the Maximal Target Nits value effect where it clips or is it strictly a mathematical formula based on the measurement file? Thanks.
No. It's completely independent from the dynamic target nits parameters.

Dynamic clipping looks at the cumulated histogram and looks for a knee to detected the peak highlight starts. If you choose 100% strength, you will clip right at the knee.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Situation:
I have a mediaserver and two different screens with each their own HTPC: a dedicated home theater with a JVC RS540/7900 and the living room with a LG OLED 65B7. I recently upgraded both HTPCs with new madvr 4K capable GPUs. I currently use the HDR pass through mode in madVR (and stream from Apple TV 4K as well).

Problem:
I don’t mind the “hassle” of measuring 4K HDR movies in advance, so I would like to use measurement files together with the clipping optimized tool. However, the clipping settings would be quite different for playback on the OLED and on the JVC...

Question:
can the clipping optimizer handle different sets of measurement files in a practical manner?
Or am I better off using a pragmatic solution such as using the new live algo in the living room and measurement files in the theater?
Which solution requires most of the GPU (theater GPU is RTX2060 and much faster than living room GTX 1050ti).

Thanks for the great work - programmers and testers alike 👍🏆🙂
I realize people are busy testing the flow of new builds, but I would appreciate advice on the above.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #807
I get this error whenever I try to use the application:
Please install the latest beta of madmeasurehdr and select the corresponding madVR folder in our tool also.
Also if you use a NAS, create a local network.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I realize people are busy testing the flow of new builds, but I would appreciate advice on the above.
Thanks!
I suppose if you tell madvr to put all the measurement files in a separate folder, instead of with the movie file then you could create two sets of optimised files and keep them in different folders, and tell madvr on each of your systems which folder to use.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #809
Thanks!
Dynamic clipping is pretty safe to use with the same settings no matter what your display is.
If you do want different settings for some reasons, then you are better off using the LIVE algo and create 2 different profiles linked to your 2 displays ;)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #810
I suppose if you tell madvr to put all the measurement files in a separate folder, instead of with the movie file then you could create two sets of optimised files and keep them in different folders, and tell madvr on each of your systems which folder to use.
Cool solution :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Please install the latest beta of madmeasurehdr and select the corresponding madVR folder in our tool also.
Also if you use a NAS, create a local network.
Thanks!
I'm running the latest version 3.6.2 and I've already configured the path to my madVR folder. Maybe I'm doing something else wrong? I choose the movie file and I click the green "Start!" button and that's when the error pops up

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #812
I'm running the latest version 3.6.2 and I've already configured the path to my madVR folder. Maybe I'm doing something else wrong? I choose the movie file and I click the green "Start!" button and that's when the error pops up
Did you read the first post of this thread? Did you install the latest madVR beta V38 or higher?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Have any of you measured a file before and received a MaxCLL/MaxFALL of 0 nits? One of my MKV files just processed with this result and it seemed odd.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Have any of you measured a file before and received a MaxCLL/MaxFALL of 0 nits? One of my MKV files just processed with this result and it seemed odd.
I thought I saw that when I measured Solo. I will have to check when I get home.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I thought I saw that when I measured Solo. I will have to check when I get home.
I'm doing a large batch process now and have seen it 5 different times. It isn't that there isn't any data. There is data in the measurements and luminance sections. I wonder if it is just some sort of divide by zero or math conversion output issue. I believe I saw it on A Quiet Place, Jack Reacher, Guardians Vol 2 as some examples.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I'm doing a large batch process now and have seen it 5 different times. It isn't that there isn't any data. There is data in the measurements and luminance sections. I wonder if it is just some sort of divide by zero or math conversion output issue. I believe I saw it on A Quiet Place, Jack Reacher, Guardians Vol 2 as some examples.
Quite a few HDR movies do not have MaxCLL or MaxFALL data. I've seen it on several that I have, for instance "Life of Pi". This is completely independent of any MadmeasureHDR operations.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Indeed.

Measuring video file "D:\MKV\Solo - A Star Wars Story Ultra HD.mkv" using D3D11 (native)...
Metadata:
Mastering display luminance: 0.0001/1000, gamut: 0.68 0.32, 0.15 0.06, 0.265 0.69, 0.3127 0.329
MaxCLL: 0, MaxFALL: 0 nits

·
Registered
114 Posts
Fast question , If I have a profile 3DLut for HDR and I insert it in Tone Map HDR Using External 3DLUT ; Tone Map HDR Using Pixel Shaders
it is usable as an option of work ? or an option selected excludes the other.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Arrival from 1:01:50 to 1:02:30 has several visible brightness adjustments - at least for me. This is exhibited by both the recent live algo and also from my tweaked measurement file playback for this title. Curious if this could be from the way the Fall algo treats this material and not just scene change detection at play? Hoping @Soulnight might review?

EDIT: Might just be a scene change issue. I will retest later so maybe wait if not that interesting.

801 - 820 of 1220 Posts