AVS Forum banner

1181 - 1200 of 1222 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I have tried to take measurements on a movie and after 20-30 mins when it finishes I find it didn't make/save a file anywhere! Why is that?

It seems to complete successfully and it doesn't save any file anywhere (not even one that says "incomplete"). I've used the search feature to try to see if it's being saved somewhere randomly, but nothing. I have it set to "Path to save measurement files->Same as movie file". Help?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Ugh....

Why is this thing so frustrating? I have a measurement file and so I go and open optimizer and put a check in "Do not measure" and click "start" and the program appears to be doing a full blown measurement anyway as my gpu goes to 99% and the program freezes (like it does if you choose to do a measurement). What is happening? Before I had a measurement file and I had the "do not measure" checked it would work for a second and then be finished, now it acts like the little "do not measure" check mark doesn't do anything...

After you have your measurement aren't you suppose to open the Optimizer to make changes via the options inside the program without having to do the measurement tool again?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Ugh....

Why is this thing so frustrating? I have a measurement file and so I go and open optimizer and put a check in "Do not measure" and click "start" and the program appears to be doing a full blown measurement anyway as my gpu goes to 99% and the program freezes (like it does if you choose to do a measurement). What is happening? Before I had a measurement file and I had the "do not measure" checked it would work for a second and then be finished, now it acts like the little "do not measure" check mark doesn't do anything...

After you have your measurement aren't you suppose to open the Optimizer to make changes via the options inside the program without having to do the measurement tool again?

Thanks for the help.
I've never bothered with the "Do not measure" check box. Instead, if I want to change settings from what I had previously input, I'll select the measurement file rather than the mkv, and then hit start. It takes a few seconds, and then updates the files with the details I want.

·
Registered
JVC NX5 at 140", Denon X4200W (5.1.2) with Axiom Audio speakers + Bass Shakers
2,660 Posts
Hey @Soulnight.

You were asking me about noticeable brightness changes.

I was watching Avengers Endgame and saw a noticeable brightness drop between 1:53:27 - 1:53:36.

There is no brightness drop with the live algorithm that I can see. Just wanted to mention it since you were asking about it in another thread.

Attached are the settings I was using. Over 9 seconds the nits seem to go from 50 to 150 which to me is quite noticeable as I noticed it while just normally watching the film.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,185 (Edited)
Hey @Soulnight.

You were asking me about noticeable brightness changes.

I was watching Avengers Endgame and saw a noticeable brightness drop between 1:53:27 - 1:53:36.

There is no brightness drop with the live algorithm that I can see. Just wanted to mention it since you were asking about it in another thread.

Attached are the settings I was using. Over 9 seconds the nits seem to go from 50 to 150 which to me is quite noticeable as I noticed it while just normally watching the film.
Thank you Sir. Exactly the kind of usefull feedback I am looking for. :)
Indepently, I have implemented something new lately (not yet released) which makes this scene much better.

Otherwise, here are the reasons for this visible brightness change:
- the PRESET 3 was pretty agressive for the chapter merge setting with 500%. :eek:
This result in a very small number of final chapters compared to the original number of camera cut detected.

For example for Avengers End Game, there was 6767 camera cut detected (what the LIVE algo uses), but the optimizer merged them together to only 53 chapters where you get a target nits reset (and in between you smoothly roll):

Code:
----------------------------------------------
Header
Version: 6
Header size: 10
[B]Number of scenes: 6767[/B]
Number of frames: 260656
Complete flag: 1
MaxCLL: 1272
MaxFALL: 595
AvgFALL: 12
Calculated values before clipping
Average FMLL: 290
Avg % of pixels below 100 nits: 98,04
Avg % of pixels below 200 nits: 99,5
% of frames with highlights (>100 nits): 74,49
Avg median of highlights: 158
Avg avg of highlights: 167
Target nits selection
Recommended static target nits by Flo: 168

Selected target nits calculation method: FALL-Algo
Selected static target nits: 168
Real display peak nits: 50

Dynamic target nits: Yes
Minimal target nits: 50
Maximum Target Nits: 1500
Ignore detected flat bright area to X [%]: 100
Max near black (

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I'm getting a new error in madMeasureHDR Dynamic Optimizer -

"This version of madMeasureHDR Dynamic Optimizer is compatible with version 6 measurement files (created with madVR beta measure38 upwards). Your file is version 6.

Expected number of columns: 290
Number of column s of your file: 291"

I'm using madmeasure40, last I checked "40" is bigger than 38"....what is happening?

It's compatible with version 6 and itsays my file is version 6....ugh, what? 6 and 6 are the same...what is going on here? Is it all just messing with me for fun now?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,187
I'm getting a new error in madMeasureHDR Dynamic Optimizer -

"This version of madMeasureHDR Dynamic Optimizer is compatible with version 6 measurement files (created with madVR beta measure38 upwards). Your file is version 6.

Expected number of columns: 290
Number of column s of your file: 291"

I'm using madmeasure40, last I checked "40" is bigger than 38"....what is happening?

It's compatible with version 6 and itsays my file is version 6....ugh, what? 6 and 6 are the same...what is going on here? Is it all just messing with me for fun now?
Well this means you are following none of the recommendations of this thread.

If you have 1 column too many, this means you are trying to optimize an already optimized file. Maybe you have deleted the original folder.

In any case, it seems you have many difficulties to handle the optimizer tool properly. The good news is you don't have to. :)
You can use the LIVE algo and relax.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,188 (Edited)
madmeasureHDR Dynamic Optimizer V4.0.2

Hello there :)
New version of the tool in V4.0.2

Download:
http://projectiondream.com/download/madmeasurehdrdynamicoptimizer/

New:
1) First the PRESET 3 now is using "0" for no compression limit by default also with the FALL algo.
Why? Because, I have now introduced the 0-100nits protection with the BT2390 Knee set at 100nits within the FALL algo. (first improvement)

This should please @Manni01 :)

What it also does is improve the dynamic target nits up to 150 target nits (second improvement).
Before:
- below the "no compression limit of 150nits", we were doing: Target Nits= Peak Nits
- above the " no compression limit of 150 nits", we were doing:
Code:
Target Nits(i)= Math.Min(2 * arrHL(i), dblMinTarget + Math.Max(1, 2 * dblTuning / 50) * arrSKYFALL(i))
which meant that any frame with a peak higher than 150 nits, had a target nits higher than 150 as well. If the FALL was high, then it would add up to those 150, and you would end up most of the time with a pretty higher target nits like ~200nits even if the peak itself was also only 200nits.

Anyway, now we only have Target= Peak Nits for any frames with a peak lower than 100nits.
For frames with a peak higher than 100nit, we calculate what the Bt2390 target nits needs to be to protect the 0-100nits from compression.
And we use the Min between 150 and the calculated BT2390TargetMin (target to protected 0-100nits) instead.
Also the FALL is not added if BT2390TargetMin=100nits but is fully added by the time BT2390TargetMin reaches 150 nits (which is for about 250 peak nits as can be seen in the table below). In between the additionnal FALL part is scaled.

And the new "FALL algo" formula becomes:
Code:
Target Nits (i)=
Math.Min(2 * arrHL(i), Math.Min(150, arrBT2390TargetMin(i)) +
Math.Min(1, ((Math.Max(100, arrBT2390TargetMin(i)) - 100) / (150 - 100)) ^ 2) * Math.Max(1, 2 * dblTuning / 50) * arrSKYFALL(i))
What it really does, is while protecting 0-100nits fully, it allows you to enjoy much lower target nits and a brighter picture for any frames with a peak smaller than ~350nits, with the major benefit being for any frames being below ~200nits compared to the old approach with a fixed offset of 150nits (no compression limit) and where we always added the FALL part of the equation.

As a reminder, here a table showing how high the target nits needs to be depending on the frame peak to protect the 0-100nits range from compression:

If anybody prefer to use the good old FALL algo, then he can choose 150nits instead of the 0 for the no compression limit.
But I like the new FALL algo with BT2390 100nits Knee calculation better (and this also helps @SirMaster test scene)

2) A new Target nits experimental algo just for fun that we could call BT2390Knee Algo:
It's a hidden algo hidden in the FALL algo if you select a "No compression limit" value of 1.
What it does it set the target nits in such a way that the BT2390 Knee is equal to the current frame FALL (at least with 100% dynamic tuning).
It worked well in my testing. :)

3) Improvement of the "Smart Max Speed" algo.

I looked at the issue with visible brightness change reported by @SirMaster but also at some other movies where I had spotted such behaviour myself.
In turns ou that:
a) in all case, it was for low target nits changing between 50nits and 150+nits. The new FALL algo helps a lot in that matter.
b) the crossing point of the "rolling average" within each chapter was NOT using (in most cases) a 1min rolling average value but the FULL chapter average instead (but it should have...)
This meant that the crossing point value was not representative of the LOCAL situation.
I have changed the mechanism a now, at all crossing point, we should have the 1min rolling avg target nits instead (if reachable) as I wanted initially.

Combination of a) and b) solved @SirMaster issues and the one I have looked at.
And as I said before, the "Chapter FALL merge" of 500% could be lowered and could be the value of the "Smart max Speed" of 5 (0,5%) if any other brightness change would be visible.
But let's wait for feedback before changing those. :eek:

Enjoy,
Flo ;)

edit: I made the second part of the new FALL algo improvement which replaces 150 with the Knee only active for people with a real nits

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Well this means you are following none of the recommendations of this thread.

If you have 1 column too many, this means you are trying to optimize an already optimized file. Maybe you have deleted the original folder.

In any case, it seems you have many difficulties to handle the optimizer tool properly. The good news is you don't have to. :)

You can use the LIVE algo and relax.
Ok.

I'm not trying to just complain or find problems, but it's not super user friendly (even after following the tutorials) as you have several different programs and adjustments that have to all be aligned to get anywhere...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Hello there :)
New version of the tool in V4.0.2
Thanks for the update. This will be my first time doing an upgrade, so I want to ensure I understand correctly. There's no need to remeasure my file, correct? I simply have to reprocess the measurements that already exist?

Is there a batch method for processing all the .measurement files? They are spread out in various folders under my main /Movies share. I don't keep all 4k movies in one folder.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
3) Improvement of the "Smart Max Speed" algo.

I looked at the issue with visible brightness change reported by @SirMaster but also at some other movies where I had spotted such behaviour myself.
In turns ou that:
a) in all case, it was for low target nits changing between 50nits and 150+nits. The new FALL algo helps a lot in that matter.
b) the crossing point of the "rolling average" within each chapter was NOT using (in most cases) a 1min rolling average value but the FULL chapter average instead (but it should have...)
This meant that the crossing point value was not representative of the LOCAL situation.
I have changed the mechanism a now, at all crossing point, we should have the 1min rolling avg target nits instead (if reachable) as I wanted initially.
Thanks for the update. Can you explain in more detail what the above statement means? If you are using a one minute average to determine crossing points, is the chapter average used at all?

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Ok.

I'm not trying to just complain or find problems, but it's not super user friendly (even after following the tutorials) as you have several different programs and adjustments that have to all be aligned to get anywhere...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
You can greatly simplify things by first creating the measurement files externally and then use this tool to optimize them.

As long as you still have the "Original" folder and measurement file, you can always go back. If something goes wrong, then you should select the option in this tool to restore the original measurements before trying to optimize the file again.

·
Registered
402 Posts
One thing that I've come up against and I'm wondering if anyone also has and worked around it somehow is the lack of .m2ts support if scanning by Path. If I select an m2ts file, it measures it all good but if I select the whole folder it will skip the m2ts files.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Thanks for the update. This will be my first time doing an upgrade, so I want to ensure I understand correctly. There's no need to remeasure my file, correct? I simply have to reprocess the measurements that already exist?

Is there a batch method for processing all the .measurement files? They are spread out in various folders under my main /Movies share. I don't keep all 4k movies in one folder.
By the way...for any other n00bs out there, I answered my own question by simply trying it out. I downloaded the new version, pointed it at my mapped movies folder, and sure enough, it's going through and reprocessing everything in the share. Thanks again for this excellent tool.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Any advice as to why I can't get this program to actually create the measurement files? It spent 14 hours yesterday scanning 20 movies and made no measurement files. It did identify all 20 but said in the log file they were all SDR, which they are not.

Log and screen capture of program settings attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Any advice as to why I can't get this program to actually create the measurement files? It spent 14 hours yesterday scanning 20 movies and made no measurement files. It did identify all 20 but said in the log file they were all SDR, which they are not.

Log and screen capture of program settings attached.
Latest version is 4.0.2.
Might want to try moving madvr out of Program Files, parts of the OSD would not work on my setup.

What is the extension/format of the files?

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
mkv straight from makemkv
Tested it the same way, works.
Win10x64 (1809). Latest LAV, drivers, etc.
Maybe reinstall madvr and the tool itself.

LE:
There are some 4K HDR samples here, just for testing:
https://samples.ffmpeg.org/4khdr/
In the fist post (the one linked) under LG OLED HDR demos, Tom Roper, and Random HDR test footage.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/465-...r-titles-will-updated-often.html#post38853641

LE 2: On the OSD in madvr in the files you want to measure (not the demos), does it say BT.709 or BT.2020?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi everybody.
I am from Vietnam so I have to use google translate to understand the user guide.
I use htpc vga nvidia 1080ti + LG oled 55BPUA
I have tried installing and using the software as instructed with the configuration as on the attached image.
Everyone, please give me a lazy advice and install it properly because I don't know English so some things I don't understand.
thank you all !!!!

1181 - 1200 of 1222 Posts