AVS Forum banner

1201 - 1220 of 1220 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi. After a period of use and measurement with the version 4.0.2 the tool no longer works , no more HDR files are optimized .
I also did a direct check of the HDR file to be optimized with the madMeasureHDR.exe file in the madVR folder , unfortunately it is not possible have a measurement of HDR files , I have no idea where the problem is.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I solved it by myself , for some reason unknown to me , I had to reinstall LAV Filters Nightly builds 74.1.22 , indeed , when I put an HDR file to optimize with the tool , for a tenth of a second the notification could be seen , LAV Filters not found.
Perhaps it may be useful to someone else writing with my same problem. Good things.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Soulnight!

I'm back again to testing your tool because I have the feeling I achieve more contrast with measurement files because of the dinamic clipping working good and the logic in your Fall Algo.

I've seen now we have only 2 values to set, target nits and the HDR vs Brightness.

In the second field, can we set values above 100? I remember in the past we could set 150 and I used 125.

I have 145 real nits, so I like to set high values to get a better hdr feeling instead of brightness all over the picture.

I like your work a lot. Today I watched John Wick 3 and it was impressive the contrast achieved and how specular lights were so intense.

Regards!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Does this tool make sense using it with an OLED TV which has about a 1000nits max. brightness?
I'd say no (since the TV tonemapping can't be switched off), but here you can read about / try it.

·
Registered
692 Posts
So, how long until we can combine the power of the measurement files with the cool new features being implemented in 97c 🙂

Or, can the 97c features be ported into the tool in the meantime? @Soulnight

·
Registered
692 Posts
@Soulnight stupid question- does your optimizer and dynamic clipping tool override all madvr settings re: tone mapping? In other words, if we use measurement files optimized with your tool, do we have to worry about the other tone mapping settings in madvr?

I think the answer is no, we don't have to worry about the other settings.

If so, does that mean that you will have to incorporate the new HTSM development in the other thread into your tool eventually? Or how will optimized measurement files interact with the latest version of madvr, when measurement files can be used again (probably v101?)?

·
Registered
132 Posts
madmeasurehdr what gamma should display be set to?

I'm using 3dlut with madvr.

My understanding is for madvr the 3dlut needs to be created with a target gamma of 2,2

But then the display itself can be set to a different gamma value.

What display gamma value should I have set for use with MadmeasureHDR tone mapping?

Should my display also be set to 2.2?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,862 Posts
I'm using 3dlut with madvr.

My understanding is for madvr the 3dlut needs to be created with a target gamma of 2,2

But then the display itself can be set to a different gamma value.

What display gamma value should I have set for use with MadmeasureHDR tone mapping?

Should my display also be set to 2.2?

Thanks!
Your display can be set to anything you want as long as the target for the 3D LUT is 2.2. But if you're using a 3D LUT, you would probably be using a gamut target of P3 instead of BT2020 to limit posterization. This means that an effective gamma of 2.2 (i.e. whichever setting measures closer to 2.2, it might not be 2.2) is preferable on the display too (so that the baseline is as close to the target as possible), as you won't be able to use the calibration with any other consumer source. If you plan to use the same calibration without a 3D LUT, then a gamma of 2.4 on the display makes sense, but this won't be useful for any consumer source as they expect a gamut target of rec-709 or BT2020, not P3.

If you're using a rec-709 destination because your display doesn't reach above rec-709, then it makes sense to set the display to 2.4 (if dedicated room, 2.2 otherwise) so that you can use the calibration without a 3D LUT with another source.

This is off topic here so I suggest you ask in a madVR support thread if you have any more questions not connected to the Optimizer tool.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Dynamic Tuning

I've recently upgraded from a JVC RS500 to a JVC RS4500. I'm running a 150" diagonal screen.

Using 3dlut, gamma 2,2 .

With the RS500 I was getting 67 nits and had Minimal Target Nits set to 67 and Dynamic Tuning set to 100.

The RS4500 gives me 111 nits and I've set Minimal Target Nits to 111 and Dynamic Tuning to 100.

Everything else I've left to default values.

With the old dim RS500 I was really happy with the picture. But I felt with such low nits I was not experiencing the HDR highlights as they are meant to be seen.

With the RS4500 the picture is just gorgeous - I'm stunned how good this thing is.

But the overall brightness of the image seems to have gone up a lot, which I wasn't expecting as the overall brightness was fine before. But the difference between overall brightess and the highlights doesn't appear much different.

I was expecting the overall brighness would be similar and there would be greater difference to the highlights.

I have Dynamic selected. Fall Algo, Minimal target nits 111 - same as what I measured. Dynamic Tuning 100. Dynamic range recovery 100.

My room is a true bat cave by the way.

Any suggestions on why I am seeing what I am seeing?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Anyone with a Q90R know what settings I should use for dynamic HDR?I tried default settings for The Meg and it was perfect, highlights came out spot on. I tried the same settings for Baywatch but the colors didn't look right, the picture was less punchy. If someone could recommend me settings to try I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I've settled on 1250 nits for my Q90R. I chose this because on a color clipping pattern 46 contrast was perfect for my tv(no clipping), so with the nits I kept adjusting and testing until I didn't lose any highlight detail.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Greetings.
Am I missing something, if been reading up on Madvr and Madmesurement. it seems like folks have a lot more options I the HDR tap of madVr than i have. Why do some have the ability to control "Real target nits", "HSTM" from inside madvr settings.

Have I done something wrong?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was trying to use this tool and the process seems to finish without any issue, but when I try to playback the file I just get a black screen, what could be the problem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was trying to use this tool and the process seems to finish without any issue, but when I try to playback the file I just get a black screen, what could be the problem?
I just tested again on my hdr oled tv, turns out it isn't pitch black but it's so dark it's almost black. The first time I used the tool I just keep all the settings as is, but then I read the "minimal target nits" correspond to the "display peak luminance" setting in madvr so I set the value to 800 for my oled tv.
Both of the movies play back were very dark, and the one I set minimal target nits to 800 has some salt noises too. May I ask what might be the issue?

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Measurement files haven't worked since about beta 85 (roughly, you would have to search the thread to find exactly when it was broken)

1201 - 1220 of 1220 Posts