AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep hearing about this and that it requires a lot of GPU power to pull it off. Why use this player over XMBC or winMediaCenter or anything else? Unless it does free blu-ray playback I don't see a huge need for another media player.

I use windows Media Center for DVR only

XMBC for playing the one ripped blu-ray I watched

and either GOM or windows media player for recorded OTA or dvd's

To me XMBC and Media Center seem very bloated for watching a simple media file.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
madVR is not a player. It is a renderer. It is a 3rd party replacement for standard MS Direct Show Rednerer known as EVR. The renderer is the final portion of video playback and decides what exact shade/color each indidivual pixel will be. MadVR uses advanced algorythms and dithering to create the highest quality image. This results in much more detail and smoother trasnisitons from one color to another.

It does not work with of the traditional standalone commercial Blue-Ray software players or Windows Media Center. The more horsepower available for madVR, the more advanced the algorythm and quality setting that can be selected without dropping frames.

It works with players like JR MC16, MPC-HC, ZoomPlayer and PotPlayer. The bottom line is that you must have a player that is open in design and will accept a 3rd party renderer. It would be great if you could specifiy that WMC live TV use madVR but WMC live TV playback is not open app in terms of renderers.

JR MC16 will play WMC TV recording rendered by madVR if the audio in the recording is bistreamed.. they are working on being able to play WMC TV recordings WTV files through madVR with PCM audio as well but that is taking some programming hoops to acheive.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
WMC internal player uses Windows' default decoder (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVe rsion \\Media Center\\Decoder). The tweaker changes values of this key. On the other hand, WMC internal player uses only EVR. It is designed that way. You can't change it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.