AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to purchase a pair of Maelstroms 18's for my HT. My room is 12x21, I am running a 119" screen, seating position is 13'. The subs are going ot be placed behind the screen (false wall) and as Adire recommends downfiring the drivers, I will have the "wall" area below my screen be the grill for the pressure wave to exit into the room. I will be using a QSC EX2500 to power the subs (750x2 @4 ohm)

My room has extensive sound treatments, including bass traps.

I have searched this site and others and it seems that for the $$, this sub is hard to beat. Especially for the low low bass (-20 cycles)

Two questions:

1. Is there any other driver I should look at in this price range

2. Box design. I am considering using Adires vented design of either the SBB4 or EBS alignment. Anyone tried either of these designs ? I would rather only have to build one and not both just to test.

I require solid, low, heart fluttering bass. Not boomy crap. The system is used 99% for HT. and I listen at high SPL.

Thanks for any ideas

·
Registered
802 Posts
750W is way more power than you need. But excess power is better than underpowered.

Is an infinite baffle an option? http://www.f20.parsimony.net/forum36475/

The Maelstrom has it's purpose, but the best value for great low bass in DIY isn't it. For the cost of 2 Maelstroms you could purchase 4 Tempests or 3 Styke AV15 drivers both of which would have very similar sound quality but be capable of more output.

If you can do the IB, I'd recommend a quad AV15 (if budget allows) or Tempest setup. If you can't I think you'd be very happy with a pair of dual Tempest enclosures (each 480L, stuffed with 64ounces of polyfil and with a pair of 6" straight ports tuned to 18hz).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the Tempest looks pretty good, but I have all the box designs, SPL and Freq plots, and the 18' looks to have quite a bit higher SPL down low. I had originally planned on the 4xTempest route, but after looking at the info from Adire, I have changed plans

Have you heard the Maelstrom in a sealed or ported box ?

BTW I lived in 'Tootown back in the day.

And there is no such thing as too much power.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I haven't heard the Maelstrom, but as I think you've seen from my sig, I've got a Tempest. The Maelstrom was design by Dan to be used in a sealed enclosure. But it will work great in a vented one as well. I'm not sure what freq/spl plots you have or what designs you are considering for the Maelstrom as I haven't seen any posted for it on Adire's site.

I did a quick plot of a dual Maelstrom in 600L tuned to 16hz with enough power to get the drivers to Xmax. And a quick plot of quad Tempests in 960L tuned to 18hz with enough power to get to Xmax.

http://dustin.bunnyhug.net/pics/forum/maelstrom.JPG
http://dustin.bunnyhug.net/pics/forum/tempest.JPG

As you can see the Tempests are capable of significantly more output. With either you won't be disappointed at all with the low end response. But as they say, there is no replacement for displacement and dual Maelstroms have 6L and quad Tempests have a little over 10L.

Quote:
I require solid, low, heart fluttering bass. Not boomy crap. The system is used 99% for HT. and I listen at high SPL.
With this as your requirements I still strongly recommend quad Tempests with a 18-20hz tune over dual maelstroms with a lower tune. Fire Dan Wiggins, Brian Bunge or Kyle Richardson an email and I think all of them would agree.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those curves you posted are significantly different from the designs on the Adire site. Check out the plots done in the box design area of their site. I refer to the SBB4 and EBS alignments in particular, and the in room measurements they are using.

There is of course the trade offs with the ported desings (I am normally a sealed box fan) but for my use in this case, the low end extension is quite good.

If the ported design does'nt do it for me, I will plug the port and as the box will be the same size as your plot above, I will let you know what that sounds like.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
802 Posts
The difference is my plots are a software prediction and the plots in those graphs are actual measurements. However, the anechoic line does quite closely match the software prediction (which was an anechoic one). The line you are looking at is the one measured in room with the associated room gains.

I tried stuffing the port in my Tempest once. I couldn't tell the difference on music, but could tell the difference on the big special effect explosions. The vented sounded just as good but had more impact.

Have you spoken with anyone at Adire about what design would be best for you? You won't by any means be disappointed by dual vented Maelstroms. But just one more time, I think you'd be happier with quad Tempests. The Tempest design I mentioned will play lower and louder than an the vented EBS Maelstrom design on Adire's site and sound just as good.

·
Registered
802 Posts
One other thing I forgot to mention is the 480L dual Tempest design I mentioned above didn't come originally from me. Dan Wiggins recommended it to someone on a forum. Several have tried it and all have loved it. As far as I know all who have tried it only built one and were floored with the clean deep output. And you'd plan on a pair, meaning you'd have 6dB more across the board than Mlstrass on the Klispch forum and he's a sick bass head ;)

·
Registered
561 Posts
Listen to Dustin, he knows about this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just spoke to Dan at Adire. He recommends the Maelstrom for this application. He says the Maelstrom is designed from day 1 to be used in a vented enclosure. He also says that a single Maelstrom vs a single Tempest the Maelstrom has more output. His biggest reason for recommending the Maelstrom is impact and effeciency. He mentioned that all else being equal, the Tempest would play 2-3 Hz lower than the Maelstrom, but for HT he would stay with the Maelstrom.

I asked about using 2 Maesltroms VS 4 Tempests, adn he said that you would gain a db or maybe 2 with the Tempest design, but not enough to notice. Impact would still be greater with the Maelstroms.

Thanks for the input, it is always good to have other opinions. In this case I will take the advice of the mfg of the driver and go with the twin Maelstrom set up.

I will let you know the results in a week or two.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good to hear Kyle. I will be using twin 11.3 cubic foot boxes tuned to 20hz (Adire EBS alignment) running with 750 watts for each Maelstrom.

Curious to know: what are your impressions of the sonic differences between the Temest and Maelstrom ?

Does one have more impact than the other ?

·
Registered
165 Posts
It's been a while since I had the vented Tempest in my home but IIRC the Tempest did dig just a bit lower but the Maelstrom does have more impact in the range where most of your bass information is produced. Thats not to say that the Maelstrom cant get low because mine is flat to 20Hz in room.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, that's what I have been told. My experience is that you can never have too much clean power. This will allow me to keep the gains low, and never run out of power / headroom. I have seen a lot more subs burned out due to insufficient power than I have seen damaged ones due to overdriving / bottoming.

Also, if I ever decide to get two more Maelstroms, I have the power.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.