AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why haven't any of the major Home Theater Review Mags printed formal reviews on the latest generation of HDTV set top boxes???


They were the first ones on the block to print early reviews on the first gen boxes. where are they now?? Are they wating for manufacturers to provide "updated" versions
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,132 Posts
icdrules..


Just from what I have read here, it seems the newest generation of STB's are no improvement over the STB I bought 1 1/2 years ago..Mit. Directv STB..no probelms with this one. In fact, seems the newest boxes may have some problems my STB has never experienced. And, actually, the prices have gone up...strange!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Could be they were hoping to do a big "round-up" edition, and are waiting for the new RCA and Toshiba models (any time now, right :D).

I know I'd love to see a subjective head-to-head battle between all these units.


O.T. - BTW, I heard somewhere that the RCA DTC-200 was going to be an OEM unit from Samsung...does that make sense to anybody? Is it a T-160 clone, and if so...why the holdup?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Stubernaut, if your source is accurate in stating that the DTC-200 is an OEM of Samsung, then the holdup could be all the issues that are being discussed on a separate thread regarding the T-160. I think it's up to 38 pages now and there has been some name calling among the posters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Melencio,


See what happens when you get a bunch of consumer electronics techno-geeks riled up!! Usually the name calling is reserved for the "DVI/HDCP" threads :).


Anyhow, my hope is that RCA has just been checking out the feedback on these early models and is making the adjustments necessary to come riding in like the white knight. After all these years with no new model, they've got to be hoping for a big winner!


Icdrules,


To get your thread back on track, is the new "Perfect Vision", on the shelves yet? I think they may be the best bet for the first reviews.
 

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
Joined
·
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stubernaut
Could be they were hoping to do a big "round-up" edition, and are waiting for the new RCA and Toshiba models....
If that's the case, it will have to wait until next March, or so.



Quote:
O.T. - BTW, I heard somewhere that the RCA DTC-200 was going to be an OEM unit from Samsung...does that make sense to anybody? Is it a T-160 clone, and if so...why the holdup?
As far as I know, this is not correct. I was told Thompson is doing the 200 from scratch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Quote:
As far as I know, this is not correct. I was told Thompson is doing the 200 from scratch.
Thanks Ken, that is good news to me (can you tell where my brand loyalty lies).

In all honesty though, I'm just hoping anybody will produce a box that will answer the wants/needs of the good people out there, plunking down a good chunk of change to try to bring this HD transition about. I wish Zenith, Samsung, et. al., all the best in getting their issues ironed out.
 

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
Joined
·
45,616 Posts
In my discussions with Thompson last September, I emphasized the importance of recording capability and the possible addition of Firewire to the 200. Unfortunately, Firewire was not on their list of priorities at that time.


If they can maintain the stability, improve the tuner/processor performance, and add Firewire, the 200 would own the market. We shall see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,132 Posts
As stated before, I have had a MIT. STB (Directv) for over 18 months now and zero problems..and no over-heating in the least. Everything is loud and clear. Seems to me we have, perhaps, moved backwards in reliability of set top boxes...at a higher cost. Mine was less than $600.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,058 Posts
A good way to reduce sales is to raise the price.


Perhaps the STB folks like the status quo. Under 2% of American homes have HDTV receivers today.


With just 3 years to go until 2006, maybe there's a method to the (seeming) madness. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,132 Posts
I believe we will go well pass 2006 before any wide ranging changeover takes place. It is not the Government nor the industry that decides this but the general public. And, in my view, we are 5-10 years before adapting digital to replace analog, totally. There are still many sets (analog) being sold today..many smaller ones in fact. Actually, digital/HD is not being 'sold' to the American public very well..seems to me. By the way, around my part of country, I am sure it is under 1 % of the population who is viewing HD in their homes. It is the rare exception. Problem is, after taking so many years to arrive at digital/HD in our homes (sometime in the future) we will be ready for another big improvement in picture quality. Of course, progress will never cease and the HD we are viewing today will look out of place 20 years from now and we will wonder how we ever put up with it. ..and so on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
Magic123:

>>>Just from what I have read here, it seems the newest generation of STB's are no improvement over the STB I bought 1 1/2 years ago..Mit. Directv STB..no probelms with this one. In fact, seems the newest boxes may have some problems my STB has never experienced. And, actually, the prices have gone up...strange!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
In my discussions with Thompson last September, I emphasized the importance of recording capability and the possible addition of Firewire to the 200. Unfortunately, Firewire was not on their list of priorities at that time.
Wow! Their product manager should be fired if they didn't even have it on their list of needed features. That doesn't even take market research, it's as simple as "How do people use their SDTV's today? How would that apply to HDTV?"


I suspect they were just being secretive.. noone can be dumb enough to not see the requirement.

Quote:
If they can maintain the stability, improve the tuner/processor performance, and add Firewire, the 200 would own the market. We shall see.
Definitely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,220 Posts
Two years ago STB had list prices of $999 to $1499. They sold for these prices initally but eventually came down to the $700 range. The new STB have list prices of $399 to $699. If prices repeat then prices should come down to $200 or $300 and up.


Rick R
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top