Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just e-mailed by an unnamed speaker exec that:

"Several factors prevent us from going all out and getting loads of reviews..

First off, sales are absolutely incredible and continue to increase. This makes it difficult to dedicate product to reviewers. Most reviewers completely destroy the product they are reviewing. CHT allows us to send them slightly scratched units which is very convenient..

Second important point, subscription audio magazines refuse to review our products unless we have at least 5 brick and mortar retailers. As you know, we don’t have any retailers which allows us to keep our retail prices low. A company like ours threatens the very existence of subscription audio magazines."

Is this true?!?! How does outlaw get reviewed?

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
The 5 brick and mortars is a guideline, and when the editorial staff decides to make an exception to the rule (all those Musical Fidelity reviews for example).

I don't like S-phile's policy in that regard, as there are products of serious merit that are being bypassed....

I'm not sure I completely agree with this statement by the speaker manufacturer:

"Most reviewers completely destroy the product they are reviewing."

I suspect this is a slight exaggeration, but then again I've only reviewed a few speakers. I know they've all been returned in as close to the same condition as they arrived (meaning no scratches, all parts available, etc).

Other than forgetting to wipe off a speaker cone, they've been "as new", with conveniently broken in drivers ;)

But anyway, I digress.

Besides, there's at least one on-line publication that does at least as good a job as any print publication. Heck, they've even had some of their test methods copied by print publications.

;)

Regards,

·
Registered
845 Posts
Quote:
Besides, there's at least one on-line publication that does at least as good a job as any print publication. Heck, they've even had some of their test methods copied by print publications.
Which one are you talking about?

The print magazines survive on advertising revenue and want to(consciously or unconsciously) review items from companies that would be potential or current advertisers.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
I'm not mentioning names, but at least one of the print publications has acknowledged (by way of including our tests) in their DVD player reviews.

Chroma and some de-interlacing tests we run for example.

Regards,

·
Registered
785 Posts
You know, if I had a computer in the bathroom, I wouldn't need print magazines anymore. Hmmm...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.