AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this special two disc edition from Amazon UK and it is a fabulous delight! Great musicianship and heavily influenced by Yes and the Gabriel-era Genesis,but tastefully so and still original. Even though the mix is just dolby digital, it sounded quite good. It is a shame that a higher resolution lossless format isn't available, but it is what it is. And this one is a keeper. I couldn't tell if any other of the Magenta releases were similarly remixed, but it didn't appear so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil  /t/1473080/magenta-seven-5-1-dolby-digital#post_23324811


I picked this special two disc edition from Amazon UK and it is a fabulous delight! Great musicianship and heavily influenced by Yes and the Gabriel-era Genesis,but tastefully so and still original. Even though the mix is just dolby digital, it sounded quite good. It is a shame that a higher resolution lossless format isn't available, but it is what it is. And this one is a keeper. I couldn't tell if any other of the Magenta releases were similarly remixed, but it didn't appear so.

+1, you summed it up. I ordered this disc on your recommendation and I really like it, good music. It has an excellent immersive surround mix and though not his-rez (that would have been great) it has decent enough clarity/dynamics to be enjoyable.


Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil  /t/1473080/magenta-seven-5-1-dolby-digital#post_23324811


I picked this special two disc edition from Amazon UK and it is a fabulous delight! Great musicianship and heavily influenced by Yes and the Gabriel-era Genesis,but tastefully so and still original. Even though the mix is just dolby digital, it sounded quite good. It is a shame that a higher resolution lossless format isn't available, but it is what it is. And this one is a keeper. I couldn't tell if any other of the Magenta releases were similarly remixed, but it didn't appear so.



I did a bit of listening on youtube, and you're right. They're pretty good. A mix of Yes and Renaissance with some nice melodies. Thanks for the tip!


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,360 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes  /t/1473080/magenta-seven-5-1-dolby-digital#post_23417208


Import CD's has a 2 disc set of Metamorphosis listed coming out 6/25. According to Amazon UK, the DVD also has a 5.1 mix. BTW, Import CD's has a 10% off sale on everything until 6/17.


Edit: Amazon UK also lists a NTSC DVD-V and DVD-A of this album. I don't know if the new release is lossy or not.


http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Metamorphosis-Collection-Magenta/dp/B001TYFTGG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_m_h__2

I’m not certain if this is the same disc but I ordered it from their site about a week ago for 20.73 shipped. There is no mention of it being lossless or being a pre-order.

http://www.magentashopfront.com/page2.htm .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the heads up. Have ordered Metamorphosis from Import CDs. May follow up with Chameleon - 20.73 is a good price - if Metamorphosis is as much of a revelation as Seven was.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil  /t/1473080/magenta-seven-5-1-dolby-digital#post_23422360


Thanks for the heads up. Have ordered Metamorphosis from Import CDs. May follow up with Chameleon - 20.73 is a good price - if Metamorphosis is as much of a revelation as Seven was.




Is that the price with the 10% discount?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil  /t/1473080/magenta-seven-5-1-dolby-digital#post_23427958


$21.43 to California (incld shipping and tax) with the 10% discount. Not much of a difference



Wow. I'm surprised they gave a discount for a pre-order. Stores usually don't. I'll have to get the Hawkwind 3 disc set that SW did the surround on. It's coming out on Tuesday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
Received Metamorphosis today and only listened to it once. My very early impression is it is very good. Their musical influences on this album are less pronounced, although it has good material and musicianship. Like “7” the 5.1 mix is immersive and the first thing I noticed is, it sounded less compressed. I checked the AVR and the display read it was playing in DD 24/48, not lossless, but much better. Good to hear progressive rock being freshened up (Steven Wilson
).
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top