AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to be buying 6 MC1s and a CC3 for my 7.1 system. Im using a Velodyne DD12 for a sub.

My question is for mounting the surrounds. The are going to be placed horizontally. Should I mount them on the wall (butting up against the ceiling) and tilt them downward (45 degrees or so)...or should I mount them on the ceiling butting against the wall and tilt them downward (45 degrees of so)?

Im not sure it will make any difference but perhaps it will. The rears are going to be mounted on the ceiling and the fronts on a wall either side of the display.

Thanks

John

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Get ahold of yourself Captain!

Go with some nice, DYNAMIC, cone speakers, where you can put them on omnistands in the back celing corner, and adjust their angle with precision, for optimal sound field.

Your acting like speakers are solar panels, that generally just have to be directed towards the audience. This is not the case, especially with Maggies, which are princesses and deserve a whole corner of a room.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did chuckle.

My understanding was that the Magnepans do better tilted off a wall and not placed flush. I was just trying to figure out if bridging a corner was a bad thing or not. It would seem that the more open the back of the speaker is...the better. Perhaps not.

My room doesnt have a back wall (opens to a eating/kitchen area) and I cant use stands. All the speakers have to be ceiling or wall mounted.

John

·
Registered
106 Posts
When I spoke to the folks at Magnepan about placing my MC1 surrounds, they recommended that the speakers be mounted to the ceiling about two feet away from the wall(s) and hung at thirty degrees down from the ceiling. It seems to work well for my room.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
As a Maggie fan and owner, I read your question with interest since I've also thought of ceiling placement for back rears. I have the MC-1's for surrounds but vertically wall mounted and they work just fine. One fires into a corner about 2.5 ft from the panel, and the other fires into "space" (no corner). If you have a prepro or receiver with room EQ, it can compensate for the open wall vs. corner arrangement. The surround soundfield is quite coherent and discrete with 5.1 multichannel music. I use some old EPI bookshelf speakers for the back rear channels, wall mounted on the back wall and aimed toward the listening position.

The recommended angle of placement for MC1's is about 30 deg out from the wall so there is space for the back wave to disperse. If flush, there will probably be more wave diffractions/interferences that will effect the bass.

If you do end up ceiling mounting yours, I'd like to know how it works out. The CC3 will integrate very well with the MC1's and 1.6's, and even 3.6's if you decide to upgrade the fronts in the future. If you can spring the xtra money and can fit them in the room, you may want to audition the 1.6's; they are truly a great value compared to the MC1's, with more of everything Maggies can deliver, especially tight, accurate bass, detail, and imaging. The velo DD series should match well, due to the ultra-low distortion, servo control and EQ capabilities. I use a DD18 and I've tried 2 other subs that didn't work as well. Another sub that gets mentioned a lot with maggies is REL.

Hope this helps.

ss9001

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the input.

Is there any way to hang 1.6s on the wall?

I have no space for floor standing speakers.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Quote:
I have the MC-1's for surrounds but vertically wall mounted and they work just fine.
When possible, vertical mounting on the wall is preferable to mounting from the ceiling, or mounting horizontally.

I guess I should have made that more clear in my post. Mea culpa. ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRose
Thanks for all the input.

Is there any way to hang 1.6s on the wall?

I have no space for floor standing speakers.
I'm sure that something could be rigged to hang them from the walls, but I doubt that you would be happy with the resulting sound. The 1.6s need quite a bit of "breathing room" to perform well.

You might want to give the folks at Magnepan a call to see what they recommend for placement. I've always found them to be very helpful. If you're able to send a fax with the general layout of your room, Wendell will be able to provide you with more specific recommendations.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.