AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the chance to hear both the V2 as it will be set up at CES and the M5 as it will be set up.

IMHO both will represent breakthroughs at their price point, and in the case of the M5, a breakthrough pure and simple.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to add-front end is also by Magico, and fundamentally different than

any other technology I'm aware of.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Magico M5. $78000/pair (NOTE: price increases to $89000 on January 1, 2009). ( source goodwins highend)

he learns quickly, from wilson I suppose ... and takes it a notch further...increased before its even out there.

before youre even able to save up to a desired model, a new or upgraded one comes out that cost 1/3rd more ... really great guys, keep going, why not $189.000 ? And im saying this as a wilson owner whos really sick of this predictable new version is 1/3rd more policy.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would hardly blame Magico for a dealer being off on a price.

That said, having seen what goes into them, I am relatively sure they are priced at a lower multiple than other competing models. Every driver is made and designed by Magico, not off the shelf like competing models.

Best bet-if you're going to CES-check them out for yourself.

·
Registered
18 Posts
cheers grellberg,

I thought M5 might be interesting for a future upgrade but i cant keep up with such pricing. I feel that there is quite a gap betw V3 and V5 dont you think ? same thing with watt/puppy and maxx3. i wonder if they want to make room for new models.

the M5, from here, looks like an upscaled V3, if that is true I dont know, one more driver and a larger faceplate, what goes in there that is 3 times as expensive after all ?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am hardly joyous that they are 89k. I want a pair and somehow my house payment

seems to be a priority (wacky eh?).

But, given that much of the parts cost is increased by the increased size (that is, more than double) I think it is inline with costs. Again, they make their own drivers from scratch-not order from a catalog or rebrand off the shelf ones.....

And as with all high end limited production stuff, development time has to be expensed

across limited volume.

I think there is a weird negative focus on expensive stuff here-if you figure out a way to build a better mousetrap, God bless you-sell it for what the market will bear and be prosperous.

·
Registered
18 Posts
thats a hard one grellberg.

im looking for a speaker that is a bit bigger than WP or V3 cause I can fit it. I had hopes that the M5 just like the maxx3 wouldnt be just as far off from the next one down if that makes sense. like you I have mortgage payments and 2 sweet kids to support.

with such a huge price jump it puts me off both brands which i find unfortunate, hence the complaint. Im not put off by the price per se but just by how hard it is to get there and if it reflects a true and lasting value. Indeed its not easy, for me anyway, to figure out if the pricing is based on what a comparable competitor is cashing in or based on actual development and production costs plus a resonable profit.

but if you're put off by such resoning Ill end it here but I would like to hear more about how you felt about the sound or you mean with "breakthroughs" in detail? if you dont mind

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
V2- I've had Minis in house-the V2 is very very close to the purity and not there-ness, yet with 90% of the size, scale and extension of the V3. They are top to bottom seamless like all Magico stuff.

V5-with the mystery front end I mentioned (you'll hear about it tomorrow!) and the best associated gear, they were just bitchin. Round, solid, and real images. Crazy good bass delineation. If you're at CES ask to hear the Stones acoustic track. If you've never been 10 ft from Keith, Mick, and Ronnie (and I have), you will know what it's like. For the measurement geeks-ask to see the freq response of the M5 versus other "competitors"

A general note about Wolf and Magico-they are one of the very few manufacturers I know of that put all politics, shared distribution, etc. aside and seek out the very best equipment to develop their stuff. Wolf has tried

ARC, CAT, VAC, Solution, Boulder, Spectral, and more (!) just in the last year to pair and get the best sound attainable. What do you get for your hard earned dollar?-a company trying to advance the state of the art.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Greelberg, Are you sure that they will have the M5 there and what room will they be in? I am going to CES just to hear the M5 and don't wan to make the trip if the M5 is not there. Thanks, Rivercitylad

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They'll be there-and they are worth going for.

Magico's got 2 rooms, not sure which has v2 and which has M5.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthias.menz /forum/post/15468655

Magico M5. $78000/pair (NOTE: price increases to $89000 on January 1, 2009). ( source goodwins highend)

An unwise pricing strategy in this economy, imho. Raise prices, lower volumes, potentially go out of business.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by syswei /forum/post/15474424

An unwise pricing strategy in this economy, imho. Raise prices, lower volumes, potentially go out of business.

Sorry to quible, but I don't think there was an increase, Goodwins just had it wrong (Since the product isn't even released yet). BTW I don't think there is a demand difference between 78k and 89k, and pricing too low will also lead to going under.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grellberg /forum/post/15474544

Sorry to quible, but I don't think there was an increase, Goodwins just had it wrong (Since the product isn't even released yet). BTW I don't think there is a demand difference between 78k and 89k, and pricing too low will also lead to going under.

OK I understand now on the price, you're saying there wasn't really a change from the company. But I do think that price differences of 10%+ on high end product can still make a difference in volumes sold. That's why MB was offering incentives of 12k on 2008 S550s last month.

·
Registered
845 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by syswei /forum/post/15474424

At the prices that we are talking about, that is actually a wise strategy. He would sell less of them if they sold for $20,000/pair than if they sold for $100,000. People who are in the market to spend that kind of money on a luxury item want exclusivity.

·
Registered
845 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by syswei /forum/post/15475295

OK I understand now on the price, you're saying there wasn't really a change from the company. But I do think that price differences of 10%+ on high end product can still make a difference in volumes sold. That's why MB was offering incentives of 12k on 2008 S550s last month.

And because the 2009's are here.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Those have never been measured anywhere, have they?

1 - 20 of 146 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.