AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the Maganvox H2160 DVR:

Is it possible to have the HDMI cable connected to my main TV and simultaneously use either the RGB component video outputs or the composite video output for another TV?

Or, is there a way to switch the H2160 from HDMI to one of the other non HDMI video outputs?

I want to send audio and video signals from the H2160 to my bedroom TV that is not HDMI. But I don't want to unplug the HDMI cable from my main TV or change any settings. I only watch the bedroom TV occasionally.

Asked another way: Does connecting the HDMI cable shut off the H2160's non HDMI video and/or audio outs?

I'd like to know the answer before I start changing any wires or connections inside my TV cabinet. It's kind of scary back there

Ideally, I'd just like to use the composite (single) video out.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Here'`what's in the Connections help file (in the main thread for this recorder):

"Simultaneous Output of INTERNAL DVDR Stuff (Menus, DVDR Channels, HDD, DVD).

In a single-TV setup, you'll be able to connect all four outputs to a single TV and see internal DVDR stuff by selecting the appropriate INPUT on that TV.

However, for wanting to see the same internal pic simultaneously on two TVs, like in different rooms, you have to use EITHER HDMI and Component OR Composite and S-Video. That's cuz when HDMI/Component are used, the Composite and S-Video outputs will not be active simultaneously... not sure about vice versa (no reports yet).

To connect to more than two TVs for simultaneous viewing, you could use either group of connections and extend one or both with splitters on the output(s) cables you use?"

Note that turning Progressive Scan ON turns Composite and S-Video outputs off.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Another option that you might find useful if you're only trying to watch tv on the bedroom set, not something recorded to the HDD, would be to use the RF passthrough from the 2160, which does not degrade the signal, so you could feed the coax out to another old recorder or VCR and then connect that to the tv using composite or component. Or you could feed the RF out to the antenna input of the tv , and use the tv's tuner to capture basic channel lineup. (The magnavox passes through HD, even tho the recorder doesn't display or record HD). Coax out of maggie, in to tv might be enough for your purposes, if the bedroom tv has a digital tuner that can pick up unscrambled channels. Another simple solution would be to just get a small antenna for the bedroom tv for OTA content, if you live in an area w good reception. None of these methods would give you scrambled channels that require a cable box, though. If you use a cable box in the other room, why not send multiple outputs from there to the bedroom tv, instead? (for example, one to 2160 by video or svideo,and one to tv composite or component) which would also give you additional viewing choices.

If it's in a different room than the set top box or the recorder, it's going to be hard to change channels, wont it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Artwire and wajo: Thanks very much for your prompt replies.

I currently have a 5.8 GHz 480i sender receiver system (L, R + composite video) that no longer works (either sender or receiver is bad, I'm not sure which). I was debating whether to replace these units or go with an HDMI sender/receiver such as Zinwell makes.

I also have a separate IR sender/receiver because the IR signal built into my 480i sender/receiver units was not strong enough.

But since I purchased the 480i S/R units, I have upgraded to a 1080p TV in my living room and also purchased a Blu-Ray player.

The old setup worked great - but only for about a year. I didn't really care about having high definition TV in the bedroom because I usually just watched old reruns or news programs recorded during the day. And the H2160 is not high definition anyway.

But from wajo's reply, it sounds as if I can't easily switch back and forth between HDMI/component and S-Video/composite outs. I'm not sure how the H2160 "knows" what's connected, but will read further in the thread that wajo suggested.

I could replace my current 480i sender/receiver units for about $100. The Zinwell sender/receiver units (one with HDMI only and one with combination of HDMI and analog) I was also considering cost $200-300. I would also have to buy a switcher box. This is all stuff I probably should just buy for future purposes, but I was trying to get by "on the cheap" if I could.

From the online reviews sounds as if the cheaper HDMI Zinwell model works a little better then the more expensive one. But if I'm spending a lot of money, I'd like to be able to pipe analog audio (HD Radio) to my bedroom system too. Does anyone have any experience with either of the Zinwell sender/receivers?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts