AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I recorded something on the Magnavox and wanted to transfer it to my Pan.EH-55 or EH-75, would a +RW or -RW work? I would hate to finalize a +R or -R, just to transfer a few minutes of video. Would the Panasonics play any type of DVD recorded on the Magnavox? I was thinking about getting one of the current Panasonics, but the reviews are so bad. I do love the DVD-RAM format for transfers, etc.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Transfer it?

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasta /forum/post/18144319

If I recorded something on the Magnavox and wanted to transfer it to my Pan.EH-55 or EH-75, would a +RW or -RW work? I would hate to finalize a +R or -R, just to transfer a few minutes of video. Would the Panasonics play any type of DVD recorded on the Magnavox? I was thinking about getting one of the current Panasonics, but the reviews are so bad. I do love the DVD-RAM format for transfers, etc.

To "transfer" material from a Magnavox just connect a Magnavox S-Video or composite video output, plus the white and red audio output, to the corresponding Panasonic input and record from that input. It's that simple.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
If you mean a high-speed lossless digital transfer, like you can do on the EH-55/75 between HDD and DVD-RAM, the answer is no (the Magnavox cannot use DVD-RAM). The Panasonic will not digitally copy any other type of disc, finalized or not (you could try a DVD+RW, since thats now a "universal" format that doesn't require finalizing, but it probably won't work).

Standalone DVD recorders were not allowed onto the market until Hollywood was placated by crippling the machines against making easy or casual multiple digital copies or transfers. It was permitted with DVD-RAM because DVD-RAM will always be a minority format, and its permitted with some brands of recorder under certain circumstances using discs they burned themselves, but easy digital transfer between different brands is pretty much no-go. I have experimented with a few other members here, trading my Pioneer-burned DVD-RAM discs with their Panasonic-burned DVD-RAM discs, and that does work (the Pioneers will high-speed-copy Panasonic DVD-RAM recordings to or from their HDDs), but thats the only "intermarriage" I know of that works.

Most recorders, if they will internally copy non-native discs at all, will only do so in real time by re-encoding the material at a slight quality loss. I find I don't care for the look of these internal re-encodes, I get better results using the method DigaDo suggests: hook up the Magnavox to the Panasonic via S-video wires and make the transfers that way. The machines seem to do a better re-encode from external line inputs than from their internal disc drives.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.