AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched for timer failure or malfunction here without success. If this has already been reported in some other thread I'd appreciate a pointer to it.

Not infrequently I've noticed recurring (daily or weekly) timers disappearing apparently at random, but today I think I figured out what triggers such losses, and it may not be entirely random. I have 2 2160As and one 515, and all have done this.

I have no idea whether input selection has any bearing on this. On all of my machines I can record off any of tuner, L1 or L2, as each has all three enabled. Two tuners are currently on QAM, one on OTA.

I program multiple timers at a time, sometimes several pages of them. At times I decide to alter an existing one for any of several reasons, but most commonly because I'm trying to "edit" something and there remains less than an hour until a timer is set to start, locking out the edit function required. So, I hit the timer button, and select program change on the upcoming timer, then delay its start time (usually 30 or 60 minutes). That allows me to finish the editing function(s) I wish (e.g. finalize a DVD), and then when done, I edit the timer back to what it was to start with.

On occasion, editing an existing program results in a duplication of the original program being edited, so that on exit of the edit, it reports timer overlap, upon which I find showing two nearly identical programs, the difference being whichever bit (usually start time, but sometimes not) that I changed while editing.

I think what has happened multiple times is that this duplication has dumped the content of either the next/following scheduled program, or a random one, replacing it with the edited version of the just edited program, and this is how timers are disappearing.

So now I guess I'm going to have to keep a separate DB of my recurring timers to refer to after each timer edit to ensure I don't lose any not yet recorded programs.

Does wajo or any other regular here work for or have frequent or close contact with Funai or Magnavox? Since all three machines do this, it needs to be reported to Funai/Magnavox if it hasn't already been.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda /forum/post/20864543

...I program multiple timers at a time, sometimes several pages of them. At times I decide to alter an existing one for any of several reasons, but most commonly because I'm trying to "edit" something and there remains less than an hour until a timer is set to start, locking out the edit function required. So, I hit the timer button, and select program change on the upcoming timer, then delay its start time (usually 30 or 60 minutes). That allows me to finish the editing function(s) I wish (e.g. finalize a DVD), and then when done, I edit the timer back to what it was to start with.

On occasion, editing an existing program results in a duplication of the original program being edited, so that on exit of the edit, it reports timer overlap, upon which I find showing two nearly identical programs, the difference being whichever bit (usually start time, but sometimes not) that I changed while editing.

I think what has happened multiple times is that this duplication has dumped the content of either the next/following scheduled program, or a random one, replacing it with the edited version of the just edited program, and this is how timers are disappearing...

I use Magnavox 2080, 2160, 2160A and 515 HDD/DVD Recorders and Philips 3575 and 3576 HDD/Recorders.

I've had similar experiences but dismissed the "problem" as related to a "senior moment." When one of the timer programs did not record I've just assumed that I overlooked entering the program into the schedule. Now, thanks to you, I'm finding that it's not my "imagination" as you've described the set of circumstances that leads to the "problem."

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
That's happened to me a few times when changing existing timer programs on my 513 and 515. I've gotten in the habit of double checking the schedule after I make any changes.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda /forum/post/20864543

Does wajo or any other regular here work for or have frequent or close contact with Funai or Magnavox? Since all three machines do this, it needs to be reported to Funai/Magnavox if it hasn't already been.

I reported this problem and linked to this thread.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just confirmed a suspicion about what can happen. The first several (of 18 total) timers I had set up until about 16:10 today were as follows:

M-F 04:30PM 05:00PM L2 SP

M-F 07:00PM 08:00PM L2 SP

FRI 08:00PM 10:00PM DTV 38.1 SP

FRI 11:00PM 01:00AM L2 SP

...1/4

I selected the first to edit, and made a single change: from M-F to MON. On exit after the clearing "overlapping" message, I had the following remaining:

M-F 04:30PM 05:00PM L2 SP

[1 page later after Saturday/Sunday timers, which wasn't there before]

MON 04:30PM 05:00PM L2 SP

...2/3

Summary, the original that I edited split into two for same time of day and source, differing only in what day, while a M-F timer for 7:00PM that had followed the original @ 4:30PM disappeared entirely.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After restoring the result that should have happened after the previous edit and other adds/deletes, I edited another entry that resulted in overlapping. I started with:

M-F 07:00PM 08:00PM L2 SP

M-F 05:29AM 06:00AM L2 SP

I selected the 2nd item, and changed it only from DTV 38.1 to L2.

This what it now shows as a result:

FRI 08:00PM 10:00PM L2 SP

M-F 05:29AM 06:00AM L2 SP

Conclusion: it isn't necessarily the following entry that the newly mis-created duplicate takes the place of. In this case it was the one preceding it.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Setting and changing a timer rec program is affected by day/date and time you make the change. I can see that in your 1st example as to why teh M-F show moved to the end of the list when you changed it to MON only. It's like a relational database.

That might be a start in studying this?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes! My 2160A has done this many times. If I try to alter a timer setting, it winds up with two programs that overlap, giving the message error. It also deletes the next program down on the list. I thought this was a warning that my machine might be on its last legs- but it has done this for a very long time. Still, maybe I should get a 515 refurb just to be safe?

I've pretty much given up on changing a timer program, & usually delete & re-enter now.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/20898890

Have you and MrMazda applied the 2160A FW Update?
Is there something newer than HD6A26972AH1E for 2160A? Both mine have this, and both misbehave exactly the same as (IIRC) my 515.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.