AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were at SamsClub tonight looking at the LCD HDTV's. We were quite impressed with the looks and PQ of the Magnavox 37" LCD (model # 37MF331D). It has two full sets of component inputs and one HDMI input. It also has an intergraded ATSC/QAM HD tuner. Best part is it actually looks really nice and it's priced less than 1k. An attractive price for a 37" LCD HDTV with those features, IMO.

So I wanted to find out more but I found very little info about this model on the web. AVS forum doesn't have much info either. So I thought I'd ask if anyone owns this set and how they like it? Any comments/experiences good or bad from Magnavox owners would be appreciated.

Even non-owners, would you consider a Magnavox LCD ?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Doing the bumpity thing.

A little worried though that nobody in here has anything to say about a Magnavox TV (which is essentially a Phillips).

Not a good sign. Should I avoid buying a Magnavox LCD?

Comments please.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetRoe /forum/post/0

Doing the bumpity thing.

A little worried though that nobody in here has anything to say about a Magnavox TV (which is essentially a Phillips).

Not a good sign. Should I avoid buying a Magnavox LCD?

Comments please.

I was looking at that Magnavox a few weeks ago. Like you, I searched the forums only to comeup empty. There seems to be quite a debate (from what I've read)over 720(this set) or 1080. I thought about buying this set, but am going to wait. I'm very concerned about motion blur and upscaling. My heart is really after a 37-40 1080, 120hz or a response time of less than 8ms. This Magnavox doesn't get anywhere near that. Its true that its just under a grand, but I'm not willing to jump the gun here. Much new technology is on the way this year.

If you do decide to buy it, watch a sports program or an action movie on it before buying. I almost bought this set several times, but my heart kept saying wait. I've learned to listen....

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well we also decided to wait. To be honest I've never really been fond of of any electronic components by he Phillips/Magnavox brands. I had a boombox once by Magnavox and it was pretty crappy. And the fact that there is very little comment in this forum also doesn't speak well for this TV. Nobody wants them it seems, must be a reason.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Wal-Mart (Black)

SamsClub (Silver)

Both sets have the same features and the same price.

Screen Size:

37" Wide Screen

Picture/Display:

Digital LCD HDTV

3D motion adaptive de-interlacing

3D comb filter

Resolution/Contrast Ratio/Aspect Ratio:

Resolution: 1366 x 768

Contrast Ratio: 1200:1

Brightness:

500 cd/m

Tuner, Reception, Transmission:

Integrated ATSC/QAM Tuner

8 ms panel response time

Viewing Angle:

H/V 170/170 degrees

Inputs/Outputs:

2 full HD component inputs

HDMI input

2 S-Video and 4 Video inputs

Audio:

Stereo Sound: 2 x 10 watts

The only problem with this set is that the it doesn't have Dolby Digital. It does have de-tachable speakers and there is speaker wire in the rear, looks messy. I've done some research to see who makes this set. Might be Philips or FUNAI, or someone else. Just a basic limited features, nothing with extra with picture enhancements. I am not recommending the set, just providing info...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought this set last november. I did so because I was looking to enter the HD arena and given my budget ($700) I had decided upon the 32inch XBR CRT (after a month of research). I was at Sam's one afternoon and this tv was in the open box area and I went home to do some research before my impulse buy. It met the minimum specs I was looking for in a tv, but the price made up my mind.

At the time, the TV retailed for 1300 and I picked it up for 700. I would not have paid 1300 for it, but I think 700 is a fair price.

Picture quality is what you would expect for the price range (that I paid). I am not ecstatic but neither am I disappointed. Analog video is ok, I think the manufacturer skimped on video hardware for analog display.

HD picture is beautiful, one of the best I've seen. The OTA HD tuner does a good job, I pick up all the local stations without an antenna. My xbox360 looks phenomenal After playing the same games on a friend's SD/ED Trinitron CRT, I will never leave HD.

I have not yet hooked up any digital input yet but I plan to do so soon. I will write back on this.

It definitely has the wow factor even when off. The contrast of the dull-slightly polished black screen to the matted/brushed silver of the frame makes the tv look almost as good off as on.

I like the tv and it is pretty.

I am pleased with the sound quality of the speakers as I can tune into the QAM digital radio stations from my cable company. But as mentioned it does not support digital audio... save thru the HDMI.

It has many video format settings. It also has an automatic setting which automatically changes the display format to what format the content is in (14:9, 16:9, widescreen, etc). My friends are a little annoyed by this because while a show or movie will not change, commercials vary from one to the next and I always get asked, does the screen keep changing size, or is it just me?. I have been watching it for a while and am no longer affected by it. In fact, I have come to finally appreciate many commercials I would otherwise be annoyed by. Because the screen will shift to the format that the commercial was meant to be viewed in, I can start to see the composition clearly and the director's intent becomes obvious in some cases. One of my favorites believe it or not is how beautiful the cinematography in that Priceline commercial where Shatner seduces the hotel desk-clerk. Silly comment by me, but it is nice to be able to view the artistic merit in commercials that I might just otherwise flip past.

As noted by tipstir the brightness is on the low side and this does manifest itself from time to time. But you can tweak that setting. Unfortunately you can have only one user-programmed video setting.

The settings menu looks nice but is not completely intuitive to navigate. But I've heard that it is better with the firmware update.

Speaking of firmware update, It is done via USB. I could never get mine to work and I assume that is why it was an open-box item. I can live with a non-functioning USB port.

Setup was easy and fast.

I am annoyed by the remote. It has very limited range and the remote functions are barebones and the paint is wearing off already. I wonder if this might not be the real reason it was returned? If you imagine the total space in which you can operate the remote is represented by a cone, with the vertex being at the receiver, the height of the cone will be something like 10 ft with a base diameter of about 6 ft. So you have to be basically in front of the tv to operate it. Sux huh? Soon, I will be building an HTPC and using a Bluetooth remote, like a phone

To Sum up:

Looks nice. ED from DVD is good. Analog signal is acceptable. HD picture is brilliant. Sound is good. Lots of neat features. Lots of connectivity. Remote sux. Lacks DVI or VGA. Firmware can be updated. This is the subjective/ evaluative info. For objective info see tipstir's post, the spec's sheet is also available from Magnavox's site.

All in all I would buy it again. I would not pay $1300 for it or the $1000 they want now maybe up to 800. For 1000 I have heard good stuff about Vizio if all you want is an inexpensive entry-level tv.

·
Registered
5 Posts
One other thing...

The stretch video format is one of the best I have seen. On other tvs the picture ends up looking concave or the sides are blurry or everyround object not exactly in the center ends up looking like an egg. Any deformation is hardly noticeable, they did an awesome job sith these scaling vectors.

Also, it does support SPDIF OUT

For manual go to Magnavox site

Click support up top. type in

37mf331d

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.