AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I live overseas and was wondering if the Magnavox 515 or 513 will work with a PAL system?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrefai /forum/post/20073980

Hi,

I live overseas and was wondering if the Magnavox 515 or 513 will work with a PAL system?

These machines are meant for use in the States (and, I assume, Canada) and record in the American TV format. Their tuners are NTSC/ATSC/QAM, which means they wouldn't be able to tune TV channels broadcasting in the PAL format. (Of course, if your digital format is the same as American, which I doubt, that could be a different story.)

The recorders also wouldn't be able to make use of an electrical source that differs from the N. American norm.

Whether they can PLAY discs in the PAL format, I don't think anyone's ever discussed that.

Hmmm....

·
Registered
198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof /forum/post/20133111

Whether they can PLAY discs in the PAL format, I don't think anyone's ever discussed that.

Hmmm....

I just tried it. It results in a DISC ERROR upon loading. All you can do with it at that point is eject it. This occurred on both the 515 and the 2160A.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal /forum/post/20138290

I just tried it. It results in a DISC ERROR upon loading. All you can do with it at that point is eject it. This occurred on both the 515 and the 2160A.

That could be due to the region coding, not the PAL format.

It's possible to have a PAL disc that's coded "all regions".

I had a DVD player that'd been hacked to be region-free, and it played PAL discs and would produce a normal, viewable picture on my American TV.

Did your PAL disc have region 2 or 4 coding?

·
Registered
198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof /forum/post/20140961

That could be due to the region coding, not the PAL format.

It's possible to have a PAL disc that's coded "all regions".

I had a DVD player that'd been hacked to be region-free, and it played PAL discs and would produce a normal, viewable picture on my American TV.

Did your PAL disc have region 2 or 4 coding?

The disc shows region 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. It's not a region problem.

My Pioneer DVR-520H-S will play it, but the Magnavox units won't.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts