AVS Forum banner

2001 - 2020 of 28067 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
So, long story short, should I get the Magnavox (save $50) or the Phillips? What would USB (on the Philips, right?) do for me?

Much thanks for your incredible work on this thread.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi guys!

I knew if anyone could help me, this is the place.

I have the Philips 3575 and just recently it will randomly have a large black rectangle in the lower center of the screen. Any thoughts?

It will disappear if I cycle through the inputs on my TV, but this most recent time it came back in about one minute.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyoxoxo /forum/post/14878728

No - on my 32" LCD it's approx. 12" wide by 6" high. It takes up a good chunk of the screen. Makes it unable to watch.

It couldn't by any chance be a blank PIP screen, could it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just got m new Philips 3576 and I think I ran into my first problem. I have an older RCA 32" TV and when doing the initial setup I can't see the setup for the DVR. I go to channel 2 or 3 like I use to do with my old VCR and nothing.This TV doesn't have a aux. channel either. What am I doing wrong? Hope I am making sense....

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzle1 /forum/post/14880543

I just got m new Philips 3576 and I think I ran into my first problem. I have an older RCA 32" TV and when doing the initial setup I can't see the setup for the DVR. I go to channel 2 or 3 like I use to do with my old VCR and nothing.This TV doesn't have a aux. channel either. What am I doing wrong? Hope I am making sense....
Have you connected the 3576 according to sketch #1 or #2 here, depending on how you get your TV signal?

The explanation with those sketches should help you understand the diff. between your old VCR and the 3576 DVDR.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,011

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyoxoxo /forum/post/14878452

Hi guys!

I have the Philips 3575 and just recently it will randomly have a large black rectangle in the lower center of the screen. Any thoughts?

It will disappear if I cycle through the inputs on my TV, but this most recent time it came back in about one minute.

It could be a CC setting for digital CC background color or opacity set for Black (with no CC to display)???

Check your SETUP > General Setting > Display > CC Style > User Setting and make sure it's OFF.

If that's not it, let us know?

·
Registered
8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/14881234

Have you connected the 3576 according to sketch #1 or #2 here, depending on how you get your TV signal?

The explanation with those sketches should help you understand the diff. between your old VCR and the 3576 DVDR.

OK, I set it up like it says on page 16 using the old VCR (that was easy) and I must be the biggest goober because I still do not get a setup screen. What am missing?

I have the TV on ch 3 and have tried it with the VCR on and off.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzle1 /forum/post/14881996

OK, I set it up like it says on page 16 using the old VCR (that was easy) and I must be the biggest goober because I still do not get a setup screen. What am missing?

Thanks for the help

Does your TV have line inputs, like Yellow RCA for video + Red & White RCA for audio?

·
Registered
8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by subeluvr /forum/post/14882290

Look for a button on the VCR remote that says "TV-VCR" and try that.

I did that, nothing different

Does your TV have line inputs, like Yellow RCA for video + Red & White RCA for audio?

Yes, I plugged in the RCA jacks. I know it is something simple I am missing.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzle1 /forum/post/14881996

Thanks for the help
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzle1 /forum/post/14882506

Wajo: "Does your TV have line inputs, like Yellow RCA for video + Red & White RCA for audio?"

How do you get your TV signal: antenna, cable, or satellite?

Why are you using pg 16 of the manual?

Since your TV does have RCA jacks, why can't you connect as shown in sketch #1 or #2 in this link depending on how you get your TV signal... LEAVE THE VCR OUT FOR NOW...( click here, please )?

·
Registered
572 Posts

Quote:

You probably need to change the input mode on your VCR in order to view the line input. The method of doing this varies depending on the brand.

On many VCRs, you can tune to either your highest or your lowest channel number and then press the channel up/down button to view the line inputs which are normally identified as L, L1, or L2.

If that doesn't work, there should be an input select button. On my remote, there is a button labeled i.select. Pressing that button should allow you to select the appropriate line input.

If neither of these methods work for you, then you will have to check your VCR manual to determine how to view the line input.

·
Registered
260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightingale /forum/post/14877843

So, long story short, should I get the Magnavox (save $50) or the Phillips? What would USB (on the Philips, right?) do for me?

Much thanks for your incredible work on this thread.

I also have both the 3575 & the 2160 [known as the dynamic duo]. The USB input on the Philips machine is very cool and saves a step in being able to directly view your slide shows and listen to music dumped from your computer, without having to first create a CD or DVD to do so.

That said, I've only used the feature once in the 14 months I've had the Philips. Whether it's worth the extra $50 is a personal decision.

My recommendendation: Get one of each while they're in stock!

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,018

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyoxoxo /forum/post/14878452

Hi guys!

I found a setting that can produce a random black box on the TV... it's in my LCD TV's CC setting. The remote has a CC button, and pressing that goes thru CC1 thru CC4 then TT1 thru TT4, which is a teletype setting. When I set my TV for TT1, I get a large black box, then a small black box that grows depending on if the program has TT data (I guess).

Maybe you've accidentally set your TV for a TT setting in its CC menus, and since TT appears to be very random, depending on the program, it might appear at odd times?

Also, as I posted earlier, check your 3576's SETUP > General Setting > Display > CC Style > DTV CC and > User Setting and make sure they're both OFF.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/14882595

How do you get your TV signal: antenna, cable, or satellite?

Why are you using pg 16 of the manual?

Since your TV does have RCA jacks, why can't you connect as shown in sketch #1 or #2 in this link depending on how you get your TV signal... LEAVE THE VCR OUT FOR NOW...( click here, please )?

My TV has no RCA jacks that is why I used page 16 or used the VCR

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,020

Quote:

I did that, nothing different

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzle1 /forum/post/14885151

My TV has no RCA jacks that is why I used page 16 or used the VCR

What did you mean when you said, earlier, that your TV DOES have RCA jacks and you plugged them in??????????

2001 - 2020 of 28067 Posts