AVS Forum banner

2061 - 2080 of 28067 Posts

·
Registered
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyrr /forum/post/14929850

The Magnavox H2080MW8 currently available at Walmart in Toronto has only component and S-video output. No HDMI as far as I could tell. Here in Toronto I've seen other brands with hard drives, Pioneer and Sony come to mind, but only with analog tuners. There just isn't anything else out there with a digital tuner for OTA viewers.

Maybe you'll get the H2160 up there eventually. It has HDMI out. I should've specified that was the model I was talking about.

(And Chuck's right about the TiVo. It has an ATSC, NTSC and QAM tuner.)

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,063

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressbox /forum/post/14898526

Wajo....Covert agent --- reporting in:

Finally got Comcast to provide me a strong signal. Hooked up the 3576 and 2160 in series and life is good. My TV and both recorders memorized all the channels I'd want and all pictures are great.

I haven't yet tried to burn a disk on the 2160 to see whether the DVD will play on my DV 10 but we'll see.

Stress, Here's a post with a tip on accessing his Optoma's service menus ... there might be something there that'll help with your Optoma DV10?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski /forum/post/14931052

...(...Chuck's right about the TiVo. It has an ATSC, NTSC and QAM tuner.)

And TiVo requires a monthly fee be paid or the machine won't even work, except as a tuner.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof /forum/post/14933332

And TiVo requires a monthly fee be paid or the machine won't even work, except as a tuner.

If money's no object, you can buy a lifetime subscription

so there is no monthly fee.

Don't get me wrong - I am not saying TiVo is a good deal, and I do not own one.

I will be buying a Echostar TR-50 (DTVPal DVR) HDTV DVR when its released,

to compliment my three other recorders.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was trying to be concise and clearly went waaay too far. Sorry. Tivo is OTA compatible. What I meant was that I ruled it out because all that was ( and AFAIK still is ) directly available in Canada is Series 2, which gets analog OTA but not digital. I've never seen Series 3 ( which supports digital OTA ) for sale in Canada. It can be imported from the US but once you factor in the exchange rate, international shipping, handling and insurance, possible customs brokerage fees, Canadian sales tax etc that gets expensive fast, ( and if anything goes wrong you have to ship it back internationally at your own expense ). Plus the monthly subscription fee. Plus the fact that there is no digital OTA program guide for Canadian subscribers - you have to input a nearby American zip code and work from that. Plus the fact that it may be reporting my watching to the ratings people whether I like it or not... No thanks .

Philips 3576 = OTA digital signal + affordable local purchase + no further fees or intrusions = happy camper.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone know if this is still avail for $248 at Sams Club? I cannot find it on their website, but I thought I saw it a week ago???

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbell /forum/post/14934333

Does anyone know if this is still avail for $248 at Sams Club? I cannot find it on their website, but I thought I saw it a week ago???

Apparently you can't get one via the website anymore (unless something changes soon), but there are units already in Sams Club stores... mine and others based on their reports. One person even got one at a "Clearance" price of $223 in-store.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbell /forum/post/14934333

I was in the same predicament as you (found it one day and not the next) so I called a local Sam's Club. I gave them the item number and they had one display unit left ($200.01 - apparently the .01 meant they were not going to get anymore or that it was a display unit, I cannot remember which). He was able to check other stores, and some had it and some didn't. He later mentioned that they were being discontinued (at Sam's) according to his screen, so maybe that was what the .01 meant???

·
Registered
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 /forum/post/14934133

I will be buying a Echostar TR-50 (DTVPal DVR) HDTV DVR when its released, to compliment my three other recorders.

If you plan on doing so without at least waiting for some reviews, you'd be a complete fool. I hope you don't mean immediately, as soon as it comes out. Mr. T wouldn't approve.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski /forum/post/14934710

If you plan on doing so without at least waiting for some reviews, you'd be a complete fool. I hope you don't mean immediately, as soon as it comes out. Mr. T wouldn't approve.

Haven't decided yet whether to wait for reviews,

but I bought my 3575 as soon as they hit the market

and its been trouble free for a year and a half.

·
Registered
11,543 Posts
Someone has to be the first to try one of those things and who better than one of us better educated AVS guys

I don't think I'll be one of the first though unless I can find it locally B&M at a store that has a good return policy

That's where the "better educated" part comes in play

·
Registered
79 Posts
WAJO: Thanks for the tip on the DV10 service menus.

I read the link and it seemed to say he was trying to disable HDCP on his LG machine so disks recorded on it would play on the HDCP non-compliant DV10. Do you understand it that way? If so, we would need to find a way to disable HDCP on the 3576 although doing so might have other consequences in 3576 operation.

Stresssing all the time

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,074
Stress007, I re-read that other post and he's talking about disabling HDCP in his LG DVDR so his non-HDCP-compliant Optoma projector will accept the signal from the LG DVDR.

Not the same as we're trying to do with your Optoma projector, which I think you said IS HDCP-compliant?

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,075

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyrr /forum/post/14927750

I've been following this thread for months , off and on, as I searched for a recorder with a digital tuner to enable me to continue timeshifting after OTA signal becomes exclusively digital. Last week, I got a 3576, ( pack date: 24 June 2008 / DTV-S: 0x93 ).

Cannot copy to disk flag: I'm in Toronto Canada and get my signal OTA; Canadian signal from the Toronto Area, and American from Buffalo NY. I've only had this for a week, ( made about twenty recordings ), and shouldn't be jumping to conclusions this early, but so far I've always gotten cannot copy to disk flags on every recording from the American networks ( except PBS ), and I've never gotten one from a Canadian network, even when recording American shows like Bones or House. This would seem to me to support the theory that these flags are appearing as a result of upgraded anti-copy technology either in the American broadcast signal or the recorder or both, or perhaps something in the commercials, but not a malfunction in the recorder or interference.

This is an important post for others who might start getting the Copy-Once (CO) flag that allows a program to be recorded to the HDD but not offloaded to a std DVD.

Pretty definitive evidence that a CO flag IS starting to appear in progams broadcast on U.S. channels... eyyr is seeing the flag in EVERY U.S.-broadcast show and NONE in Canadian-broadcast shows, incl. U.S. programs Bones and House.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wajo008: I don't think I said my DV10 is HDCP compliant -- I don't know.

If the poster has a DV10 which is non-compliant mine must also be that.

Do we know if the 3476 is HDCP compliant and if so what happens if we try to make it non-compliant? If done, might it fail to record movies that are compliant?

Stressbox(corrugated)

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,077
Any device with a HDMI connection should be HDCP compliant cuz that's part of the HDMI std. I don't think you can make a 3576 non-compliant. Besides you're just trying to play a disc created in your 3576 so I think HDCP is off-track for your problem. The other guy's got me thinking that you might be able to see your DV10's internal settings, which might be helpful.

I'm not sure but have you looked for a DV10 FW update... I seem to remember one or more people with an Optoma saying they also had problems playing certain discs but solved that with a FW update. One person had to send his unit in however???

·
Registered
1,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 /forum/post/14935613

Haven't decided yet whether to wait for reviews,

but I bought my 3575 as soon as they hit the market

and its been trouble free for a year and a half.

Maybe I should offer to trade'ya a 3576 when I get the latest new one Philips will be sending me...as my SECOND exchange (which started with a 3575 being sent back).

·
Registered
2,200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof /forum/post/14945087

Maybe I should offer to trade'ya a 3576 when I get the latest new one Philips will be sending me...as my SECOND exchange (which started with a 3575 being sent back).

No Thanks.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Nice thread. Tons of info. A lot of repeat, but people seem to be too lazy to search. Didn't know about the 'amplified' passthrough so had to confirm it myself. According to my Sadelco DisplayMax meter, the output is about 1dB hotter than the input, making the gain about 4dB, just enough to compensate for the internal splitter. That also means you can't unplug the DVR and expect it to pass signal. Signal drops about 30 dB if you do. I only checked analog ch. 13, but I'd guess the 1dB gain should be pretty flat.

2061 - 2080 of 28067 Posts