AVS Forum banner

2521 - 2540 of 28073 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks to all of you, I am trying to educate myself about this and not waste money. Believe it or not, I am replacing my '85 Panny 10" color tv with a new Samsung because of the change in the kitchen. I think I have got my money's worth out of it but it keeps going and I decided we could use a bigger screen. Thanks again and I will bookmark your links.

·
Registered
13,293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst448 /forum/post/15422499

I guess it depends on if this is a firmware adjustment or a mechanical one where a physical redesign is needed.

It is a physical thing in that a burner has to be designed to handle DL media. No amount of firmware can give a burner capabilities it was not designed to have.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Additionally the firmware would need to be upgraded to determine where to place a layer break. It's not like it can just record to full capacity linearly.

So even if you replaced the drive yourself with a DL drive it would do you no good (even if it recognized the increased capacity).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here's my first post to AVS! I have been doing research using this fantastic resource, and thank you all who have been so generous to help newbies like me with your hard-earned knowledge.

I am deaf, so I have been looking for a DVR which will allow me to record Closed Captions to DVDs. I am also a Comcast Basic/Extended customer, with all the baggage that goes with this. I have been searching for a solution to allow me to add digital tuner (ASTC and QAM) capability to my Panasonic TC-32LX50 TV, and also provide a way to convert my VHS tape collection to DVDs. (Of course, with no loss of captioning.) Wajo's tremendously informative postings got me thinking a Motorola H2160 would take care of these needs.

However, after reading Wajo's Sep 9, 2008 Update comments in post 12309999 about digital channel tuning problems by other users with Comcast extended basic, I am wondering if, with the advent of SDV, the advantages of having a QAM tuner to recieve clear-QAM channels no longer exist. In view of current technology, would you STILL recommend the Motorola H2160, or something else? (I am trying to avoid the recurring costs that come with a Comcast STB - and anyway, being deaf, I have no use for all the digital music channels and don't want to pay for them. What would you recommend?

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,526
rickl44, in the "early days" with the original unit, the 3575, ~38% of users who subscribed to basic analog cable would get "analog interference" with their digital tuner that would cause loss of tuning for the digital channels (only), with many able to get tuning back by toggling the TV/DTV button.

The later 3576's weren't "perfect" but MUCH better in that regard... just a few reports with the earliest units, as I remember.

NO reports so far on the 2160 losing digital tuning in an analog cable system, and no reports with any model when using an antenna (OTA), digital cable, or satellite (of course, not using tuner).

And it "seemed" as if the majority of problems with analog cable were with Comcast, but no specific stats on that.

As far as SDV, I haven't read of anyone who actually was in a SDV neighborhood so they could describe what the effect was. So far, I'm **assuming** a lot in the SDV area cuz of that and also cuz no one so far has said exactly how it works re: the neighborhood "node" that serves channels to "cableco equipment" needed to tune SDV, which is all I've read about in semi-tech details so far.

From what I've read and with my own experience in a small-midsize cable market, I *think* people in those markets are pretty safe and won't see SDV, maybe ever due to cost/subscriber ratios and smaller channel loads, but big markets with lots of channels might well see SDV someday, if not already. A 2160 would be a good bet in a small-midsize TV market?

I haven't read if SDV would apply to ALL channels in a neighborhood or if they'd have to still send some channels, like the locals, in a non-SDV way just for emergency-notification purposes???

Since you want to ditch Comcast anyway, the best other alternative would be the DTVPal DVR, which records in HD, has twin tuners, TVGOS, etc., but it's only for OTA antenna, so you'd have to use an indoor or outdoor antenna... but after $249-299 for the DVR, everything's free from then on, and no SDV in the future.

Of course, if you went to an indoor or outdoor antenna, you could also use the 2160 w/o fear of SDV. This would give you SD but adds a DVD burner that the DTVPal DVR doesn't have.

Here's the DTVPal DVR thread...

and here's a thread where you can find your city/area and see what OTA channels others are getting.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm lucky I live in Canada. There is none of these models here for some reason, but I get to buy better name brands like Pioneer and Sony. Good luck to you Yanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I found a 3576h in my local Wal Mart on clearace for $100. After reading this thread I may go back and pick it up just for the heck of it, but, I have no idea what I'll do with it. I'm a cable subscriber and use a Motorola Moxi HD-DVR in the bedroom on the 27" HD LCD. And in the living room I use the normal HD cable box on a 42" HD LCD. With the digital box I get the normal OTA HD channels and I also get the premiums in HD. I do 90% of my TV watching in HD in the living room so I'm not sure how I can incorporate it into my setup in there. And my significant other does most of her TV watching in the bedroom off the Moxi and I'm not sure I can get her to learn a new DVR system that isn't intuitive and easy to use like the Moxi.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hello all, happy new year.

I've been editing and burning for some time and occasionally have a title that fails to burn, I have one now that you might be able to advise me on.

Edited the hour down to 42 and change minutes as usual, no errors. Tried to burn with two other titles (high), failed on this title. Burned other titles separately, no problem.

Got into this today in EDIT, ff to a point where it stopped dead. Would not continue. Refused other edit buttons, allowed me to back out, rebuilt menu. Could continue from there without "Please Power Off". Failed at 8:25 or so.

Next tried to play from start. Similar fail but at 8:29. Advanced beyond 8:29 to, say, 8:34 and hung again. So the hang point moves around a bit. Have not tried backing into it.
My solution would be to clip out part of the program (10 secs or so) to eliminate the fail point. I have edited and deleted other programs before this one and there is 40 hrs of recording time remaining.
Perhaps a title divide would yield a portion that is burnable and then trim out the bad on the failing portion.

I'd like to copy this title elsewhere while I have a working copy but can't do that.

Suggestions??

Thanks.

(sorry, this is not a reply to other thread, haven't figured how to start a new thread yet. M.)

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,531
Check out the Chapter Marks and see if one or more are around the "bad spot(s)"... I'd even delete all chapter marks, starting with the last one, then the others will ratchet towards you rather than having to chase each one down. Then see if this clears the problem

Next step would be as you stated, to delete a section around the bad spot.

DON'T DIVIDE YET... might add another problem in the already bad spot!

P.S. Your question is in the right thread... better not to start a thread for one user's problem. This way, everyone can benefit by the discussion in a known place for such discussion.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 /forum/post/15424070

I wrote to Philips a couple days ago asking if they are planning a fw update for the 3575 to address the auto clock feature that

will become useless on Feb 17. Got back an answer this morning saying basically, no.

I smell class-action suit. Designing this unit with an analog-only auto-clock setting was negligent at best. I can't even use it now because no station in our area (Washington DC) broadcasts an analog time signal anymore. Considering that Philips designed and marketed the unit, they have superior knowledge of the market and should obviously have known that there would be no clock-setting ability after Feb.

At least if they would have put a small battery in the unit, it wouldn't lose the time every time the power blips. Both of my beloved Panasonic E80 units weathered a 4-hour power outage this week, managed to keep the correct time, and resumed recording when the power was restored.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/15430463

rickl44, in the "early days" with the original unit, the 3575, ~38% of users who subscribed to basic analog cable would get "analog interference" with their digital tuner that would cause loss of tuning for the digital channels (only), with many able to get tuning back by toggling the TV/DTV button.

The later 3576's weren't "perfect" but MUCH better in that regard... just a few reports with the earliest units, as I remember.

NO reports so far on the 2160 losing digital tuning in an analog cable system, and no reports with any model when using an antenna (OTA), digital cable, or satellite (of course, not using tuner).

And it "seemed" as if the majority of problems with analog cable were with Comcast, but no specific stats on that.

As far as SDV, I haven't read of anyone who actually was in a SDV neighborhood so they could describe what the effect was. So far, I'm **assuming** a lot in the SDV area cuz of that and also cuz no one so far has said exactly how it works re: the neighborhood "node" that serves channels to "cableco equipment" needed to tune SDV, which is all I've read about in semi-tech details so far.

From what I've read and with my own experience in a small-midsize cable market, I *think* people in those markets are pretty safe and won't see SDV, maybe ever due to cost/subscriber ratios and smaller channel loads, but big markets with lots of channels might well see SDV someday, if not already. A 2160 would be a good bet in a small-midsize TV market?

I haven't read if SDV would apply to ALL channels in a neighborhood or if they'd have to still send some channels, like the locals, in a non-SDV way just for emergency-notification purposes???

Since you want to ditch Comcast anyway, the best other alternative would be the DTVPal DVR, which records in HD, has twin tuners, TVGOS, etc., but it's only for OTA antenna, so you'd have to use an indoor or outdoor antenna... but after $249-299 for the DVR, everything's free from then on, and no SDV in the future.

Of course, if you went to an indoor or outdoor antenna, you could also use the 2160 w/o fear of SDV. This would give you SD but adds a DVD burner that the DTVPal DVR doesn't have.

Here's the DTVPal DVR thread...

and here's a thread where you can find your city/area and see what OTA channels others are getting.

I'm a Time Warner cable subscriber in central NC, we have SDV. So far it is only be used for new channels (mostly HD) and a few older channels that had low viewership. All our local SD & HD channels are in the clear, so anyone with a QAM tunner can watch them. If I understand FCC regulation(s) dealing with local channels that broadcast OTA, cable can never "legally" move these local channels to SDV, or scramble them in amy way. Like all laws & regulations, different folks interpret them differently.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,534

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss /forum/post/15432361

I'm a Time Warner cable subscriber in central NC, we have SDV. So far it is only be used for new channels (mostly HD) and a few older channels that had low viewership. All our local SD & HD channels are in the clear, so anyone with a QAM tunner can watch them. If I understand FCC regulation(s) dealing with local channels that broadcast OTA, cable can never "legally" move these local channels to SDV, or scramble them in amy way. Like all laws & regulations, different folks interpret them differently.

Thanks! Finally some real-life news, and it's good news for us QAM users!

·
Registered
99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/15431369

Check out the Chapter Marks and see if one or more are around the "bad spot(s)"... I'd even delete all chapter marks, starting with the last one, then the others will ratchet towards you rather than having to chase each one down. Then see if this clears the problem

Next step would be as you stated, to delete a section around the bad spot.

DON'T DIVIDE YET... might add another problem in the already bad spot!

P.S. Your question is in the right thread... better not to start a thread for one user's problem. This way, everyone can benefit by the discussion in a known place for such discussion.

Hmmm... did the chapter removal. Same problem. Cycled the machine off and on, same problem (at 8:35 consistently). Tried again and was able to 30-sec-skip past (from 8:25) and play resumed. Backed up, skipped back, hang. It appears to be intermittent now. Perhaps the Chp del helped.

If I can skip around the problem I could mark a delete period and perhaps cut out the problem. Or I could try burn again and perhaps make it past or perhaps generate a coaster.

I will continue the experimenting before a cut action. I'll sneak up on the spot going to 8:30 and up to minimize size of cut.

Any other ideas? thanks Wajo. M.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,536
Is there a commercial or movie trailer or other non-program element at that 8:35 bad spot?

Also, what's the interval for your auto-chapter setting (should be 10 minutes or more)?

OOps, one more thing: When you set this title up for HSD, what size in MB does it show?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Nope, the spot occurs mid-program, nothing but Deep Space Nine there.

Chp interval is 10 min default, that works well for me editing. I would have added 6 chapters automatically after 6 commercial deletes, then went back and deleted the original chapter marks (as is my custom).

After the all chp marks delete and some experimenting I did put a chp mark back at 2 min or so.

Dubbing Titles 1314 MB (pie icon) 4424 MB

Never paid much attention to that before.

I'll try to burn this and advise. Thanks. M.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
It's a bit off-topic but can someone explain the DTVPal DVR? (People have mentioned it several times here.)

It doesn't require DISH service? It's just a DVR with dual ATSC tuners in it?

Does it re-encode audio/video like the DVR's in this thread or does it record the raw streams?

I also see there's a network port, can it be plugged to a PC and the recordings dumped?

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM /forum/post/15433525

It's a bit off-topic but can someone explain the DTVPal DVR? (People have mentioned it several times here.)

It doesn't require DISH service? It's just a DVR with dual ATSC tuners in it?

Does it re-encode audio/video like the DVR's in this thread or does it record the raw streams?

I also see there's a network port, can it be plugged to a PC and the recordings dumped?

See this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1099071

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well, I pulled the trigger and ordered a Philips 3576 from Amazon today. They said there were only 4 left and while I think it is not a great price, I do know that Amazon has a pretty liberal return policy. If I can program it correctly, I think it will meet my needs as far a mostly time shifting and being able to view old VHS tapes. Thanks to all for their in encouragement. I will probably be back asking other dumb questions. LOL

2521 - 2540 of 28073 Posts