AVS Forum banner

25701 - 25720 of 28050 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Please redirect me if I am posting on the wrong topic. I have a MDR515h that has started freezing/locking when playing dvds. A good deal of the dvd plays then just stops. I hit the unload button and the machine reads OPEN but the tray never slides out. If I turn the machine off and on, it goes into load but never starts playing the dvd. If I switch to the OTA broadcast signals ,the picture displays but their is no sound.

The first several times it happened I had to leave the unit off (but not unplugged) for at least 15 minutes and it started normally and I was able to extract the disc. Once however it didn't come back even after leaving it unplugged for over 24 hours. As it was a library disc stuck in the machine ,I had to remove the outer cover to get at the dvd.
However when I put everything back together the machine ,except for dvds, worked fine. Does anyone else have this problem with this or any dvd player? Would the firmware update help?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have you tried running a cleaning disc in the DVD player?
No,not so far. When my blu ray player was freezing up, I blew Ultra duster compressed air in the player and that helped. I cleaned the mdr515h the same, to no avail.

It doesn't bother me so much that it freezes, but that it completely locks up an I can't get the disc out. I have other options to view dvds but this player allowed me to upload homemade dvds to the hard drive for editing. I'm not sure if that will work now.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I just want to thank wajo for his work again. I haven't followed this thread in years but I just got a new 60 inch 1080p plasma and had to refer to the front page for a couple of things. Thanks, this thread is much appreciated.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGeek  /t/940657/magnavox-557-537-535-533-515-513-2160a-2160-2080-philips-3576-3575/17160#post_21317697

Are you in the Twin Cities, MN?

These channel mappings that the stations are doing right and left mix up the Magnavox recording.

I had to unmap 45, at the time the news rebroadcast was still on 45.5.

Then in recording 5.1 -> 5.1, 45.3 -> 5.3, 45.4 -> 5.4 and 45.45 -> 5.45 where "recorder channel" -> "viewing channel".

The Magnavox does not like having a multiple RF channels with the same digital major channel number. But Fox, TPT and Hubbard are all doing it. The trick is to unmap the RF channel then when recording instead of saying the digital channel major number, put in the RF channel number, i.e. RF.Minor instead of Major.Minor. There are regional over the air sections on AVS where people can help you figure out the RF channels for the various digital stations. It is a pain but there is a work around for it.
I registered just to thank you for this post.  I am in the twin cities and this did the trick for me for channel 5.  I was thinking the unit was defective.  Now I just have to figure out 2.1 and I'm good to go.  Thanks for the information! 
The trick with channel 2 in the Twin Cities is to key in 34.1 for 2.1

The same for 34.2 and 2.2, as I remember it.

Whichever you can't get by keying in the channel directly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm new and hope I'm posting in the correct place.

I have an MDR 515 and I want to attach an external hard drive to it. I've read just about all the posts on this, but I have a couple of questions.

1) I really like Nostradimwit's idea of using a power-over-eSATA cable to connect the external disk, so it is powered by, and turns on and off with, the 515. However, it seems that no one makes external hard drive enclosures powered by such cables any more. Am I right?

2) The other way the pioneers attached external drives is via external enclosures that are AC powered. In this case, if you have multiple recordings programmed, do you have to leave the enclosure powered up all the time? Does that mean the external hard drive is constantly running? This does not seem like a great idea.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
216 Posts
blank DVD+RW won't format

Argh, I have this issue that I can't figure out.

When you insert a blank DVD, the unit will usually display "formatting disc" for a minute or two, then you go back to the HDD, press the D Dubbing button, HDD-->DVD, add the titles, start HSD or whatever mode you want, and voilà.

I did a first HSD disc earlier, which went fine, and wanted to do a second one. When I inserted the blank disc, it didn't format. And when I press the D Dubbing I just get the red "no can do" circle.

I tried another blank disc, and also a power cycle of the unit, but still no disc format happening.

Help :confused:

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
I did a first HSD disc earlier, which went fine, and wanted to do a second one. When I inserted the blank disc, it didn't format. And when I press the D Dubbing I just get the red "no can do" circle.

I tried another blank disc, and also a power cycle of the unit, but still no disc format happening.

Help :confused:
If you have a timer program about to record it won't let you do those things. I don't remember the exact timings off the top of my head but it's probably indexed on page one (here).

·
Registered
216 Posts
What machine and what kind, speed and brand of disc?

Try a Soft Reset to ge a starting point.
It's a 513 with updated firmware, and Maxell DVD+RW discs. I've used these discs countless times. Even earlier Today as I said in my post.

I did try a reboot and still the same thing.

If you have a timer program about to record it won't let you do those things. I don't remember the exact timings off the top of my head but it's probably indexed on page one (here).
Yeah, I know that. If that was the case, a message would say something like "scheduled recording, proceed anyway? Yes or No". And there weren't any timers for any foreseeable future.

BTW, the DVD player itself and Dubbing feature seem fine, if I put the DVD I wrote earlier, or any other DVD, it reads it, and allows to write to them (on whatever free space there was left on it). It just, for some reason, refuses to format any blank DVDs.

·
Registered
13,220 Posts
. . . Maxell DVD+RW discs. I've used these discs countless times. Even earlier Today as I said in my post.
When you say that, do you mean you have used those specific disks countless times? If so they could simply be worn out and the unrecoverable errors are to the point of catastrophic failure. Since the Magnavox doesn't verify its writes you can never know when a RW has started failing.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #25,713 (Edited)

I have an MDR 515 and I want to attach an external hard drive to it. I've read just about all the posts on this, but I have a couple of questions.

1) I really like Nostradimwit's idea of using a power-over-eSATA cable to connect the external disk, so it is powered by, and turns on and off with, the 515. However, it seems that no one makes external hard drive enclosures powered by such cables any more. Am I right?

2) The other way the pioneers attached external drives is via external enclosures that are AC powered. In this case, if you have multiple recordings programmed, do you have to leave the enclosure powered up all the time? Does that mean the external hard drive is constantly running? This does not seem like a great idea.

Bump for users who've worked with external drives and can answer your questions based on experience... weekends are slow!

Will this Power-over-ESATA cable work for question 1 or is it the enclosure that's hard to find... this cable apparently comes on a slow boat from China? Amazon has several more from China and US sellers.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
BTW, the DVD player itself and Dubbing feature seem fine, if I put the DVD I wrote earlier, or any other DVD, it reads it, and allows to write to them (on whatever free space there was left on it). It just, for some reason, refuses to format any blank DVDs.
My 515 and V513 won't format new DVD+RW discs either but I'm getting an E3 or E4 error. I can't remember which code it gives me but it's one of those two. Both of the recorders can use discs that were previously formatted in either one of the recorders. Since it happens on both recorders I figured it was being caused by the crappy Memorex discs.
I found a workaround for when I need to make a new disc useable. I used ImgBurn to create an image from a previously used +RW disc. I just write that image to the new disc in the PC, then it can be used in either recorder as normal.

·
Registered
13,220 Posts
My 515 and V513 won't format new DVD+RW discs either but I'm getting an E3 or E4 error. I can't remember which code it gives me but it's one of those two. Both of the recorders can use discs that were previously formatted in either one of the recorders. Since it happens on both recorders I figured it was being caused by the crappy Memorex discs.
I found a workaround for when I need to make a new disc useable. I used ImgBurn to create an image from a previously used +RW disc. I just write that image to the new disc in the PC, then it can be used in either recorder as normal.
On one of your RW disks that won't format, try using ImgBurn to do a full erase (the long one not the quick erase). Sounds like something on the disk is causing the DVDR to reject it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bump for users who've worked with external drives and can answer your questions based on experience... weekends are slow!

Will this Power-over-ESATA cable work for question 1 or is it the enclosure that's hard to find... this cable apparently comes on a slow boat from China? Amazon has several more from China and US sellers.
Thanks Wajo, it's the enclosure powered by a power-over-eSATA cable that's hard to find. gm2040 did find one for me, made in and shipped from Taiwan, available on Ebay

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
On one of your RW disks that won't format, try using ImgBurn to do a full erase (the long one not the quick erase). Sounds like something on the disk is causing the DVDR to reject it.
Neither recorder would format the last three new discs that I tried so maybe I got a bad batch. I'll try doing just a ImgBurn erase on the next one. I noticed when I write the iso from the used disc on to the new ones ImgBurn does a full erase first anyway. Not sure if that's normal or not.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Neither recorder would format the last three new discs that I tried so maybe I got a bad batch. I'll try doing just a ImgBurn erase on the next one. I noticed when I write the iso from the used disc on to the new ones ImgBurn does a full erase first anyway. Not sure if that's normal or not.
Thanks for the tricks.

So I did what any reasonable man with no other option would do :rolleyes: I tried a third disc, and that one worked! So it looks like 2 discs in a row were somehow corrupted or at least the unit did not like them. That's odd, because out of a 50-pack I already used maybe 20, and these are the first 2 that had this issue... and 2 in a row. What are the odds, right? ;)

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Along with the One-Touch Rec increments, I believe that confirms the new rec modes are 1, 2, 4, 6, 8 hours.
Is anyone else here going to try one of the new machines, or does the lack of 2.5 and 3 hour modes make this a deal-breaker for you?

And WHERE is our Funai friend?

·
Registered
65 Posts

WJD....
I am using a Thermaltake BlacX SATA (ST0005U) dock (with external power supply) connected a Magnavox 515. I prefer using standard 2.5" Hitachi HDD's (5400 or 7200rpm does not matter). Under normal conditions, when you power off the 515 (or Timer Recording finishes), the 515 power goes off, and the external dock spins the hard drive down. The only power that goes to the external dock 24 hours a day, is the blue power light on the dock. Simply put, the hard drive is only powered on (spinning) when the 515 is on. There is no more wear and tear on the external hard drive dock system, than if the hard drive was inside the 515.

dfw515

25701 - 25720 of 28050 Posts