AVS Forum banner

25721 - 25740 of 28050 Posts

·
AV Enthusiast
5 Posts
DVD-RW discs

Just FYI - I have great luck with Fujifilm DVD-RW discs - they format just fine with my MDR-515, MDR-535 and MDR-537s - yes, I own three of these machines.

There is a seller on eBay that sells 270-packs for a relatively cheap price - the only drawback of these is that they are rated for 2x maximum write speed, so you do end up waiting a little as compared to other 4x and 8x discs, but the cheap price and re-recordability are worth it - they make great "scratchpad" discs - to offload miscellaneous content for later viewing and then either erase or overwrite the discs with other stuff.

The Fujifilm discs are quite reliable also - I've never had a single dropout or bad disc, for what it's worth.

I have also used some "HP" branded DVD+RWs with the MDR-515, and they work quite well also (although, I think that they are actually made by Ritek).

Hope that this helps.

-Nick

·
Registered
109 Posts
Dusted My Mag 535 Today & Saw The Word Open OnThe Right Hand Side.......

I bought my Mag535 exactly 4 months ago. Yes, 4 months ago, 120 days ago of usage. And Today I decided to do A really good dust and polishing of the front when WHALAH?? On the right hand side I saw the word OPEN. I was like what! What is this? I never saw this before. So I pushed on it and a little door opened and WHALAH!! More connections for external devices. I don't even know the possibilities of this device.

So being that I don't know what would one use the L1 rear for and then the L2 Front for. Please give me some type of usage scenario.

I read a little about this in the manual pg 55 when I discovered the Open word, so why would I hook up a VCR to this (To do what?)

I don't understand what I am able to do with all theses connections.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
So being that I don't know what would one use the L1 rear for and then the L2 Front for. Please give me some type of usage scenario.
L1 is for connecting devices that don't need to be moved very often like a cable box. L2 is handy for temporary connections to things like game consoles and camcorders.

·
Registered
109 Posts
1)Do you tune to channel L1 or L2 and will a menu for that particular device appear?
2)And you operate it from that channel?
3) Is that how you work the external device from that L1 or L2 channel?
4)And that would also be to view on the TV that is already connected right?

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
1)Do you tune to channel L1 or L2 and will a menu for that particular device appear?
2)And you operate it from that channel?
3) Is that how you work the external device from that L1 or L2 channel?
4)And that would also be to view on the TV that is already connected right?
1) Yes
2) When you tune the Magnavox to that external input channel whatever video that the source device plays will appear on the screen. You need to operate the source device from it's own remote or from buttons on the external device itself.
3) Yes
4) Yes

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
With regards to the L1 and L2, the machine I have in the living room now has two inputs from the cable box, one on L1, one on L2. One is thru a filter that uses composite and s-video, the other is thru a filter that takes the HDMI signal and converts that to composite.

Using these two, I can choose to record in either true widescreen or in letterbox off of widescreen channels. This allows me to move true widescreen recordings to DVD, then use my computer to change that recording to one that's "stamped" as true "16x9". Reburn to another DVD, and the disc now plays with the correct aspect ratio on any type of TV.

Of course, the newer 557 can stamp a recording as 16x9 on its own... :eek:

Still don't have one of those.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
With regards to the L1 and L2, the machine I have in the living room now has two inputs from the cable box, one on L1, one on L2. One is thru a filter that uses composite and s-video, the other is thru a filter that takes the HDMI signal and converts that to composite.

Using these two, I can choose to record in either true widescreen or in letterbox off of widescreen channels. This allows me to move true widescreen recordings to DVD, then use my computer to change that recording to one that's "stamped" as true "16x9". Reburn to another DVD, and the disc now plays with the correct aspect ratio on any type of TV.

Of course, the newer 557 can stamp a recording as 16x9 on its own... :eek:

Still don't have one of those.
I'm puzzled. What do you mean by "stamped"? I've been moving 16-9 content via DVD using a Mag 515. I've never bothered to do a two step process. Just DVD to computer, use DVD Shrink to copy to a HDD. View via WD Live connected to TV.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
The live probably detects that it's non flagged 16x9 content and displays it properly or you have it setup to do it yourself. When I was using mine I mainly just archived and edited SD TV shows I liked, watched them, then maybe burned to disk if I wanted to keep them as it ran out of space. To play properly on any other Player and HDTV you need to set the widescreen flag or it gets letter boxed so that's what many of us did so it took a step or a check box extra from a external program that could do it.
I have two media player now, one being my Live that I haven't retired and my newer Pivos Aios player that I use 99 percent of the time for my HDTV captures I make and edit down now, works great, is full HD and no disks laying all over the house, just some big external and internal drives:D

·
Registered
446 Posts
HD? Huh??

I was just discussing DVRs in another forum, and when I asked who has HD DVRs, someone posted a link to this list:

http://dvr-review.toptenreviews.com/

I was surprised to see a claim that the MDR533H (320GB) can record 75 hours of HD video; I had been under the distinct impression that the actual number was 0. So I went to the page for that model:

http://dvr-review.toptenreviews.com/magnavox-review.html

and it says, "Because all recorded video is captured in 1080p, it can be played back on HD or SD TVs."

Wajo or someone else knowledgeable, what's going on here? Are they assuming that HQ=HD? As Wajo points out on the very first page of this thread, the MDR5xx models are SD. It clearly says in my both my 513 and 537 manuals: "All high definition pictures will be down converted to the [sic] standard definition pictures when they are recorded on this unit."

I don't even understand where they got that "75 hours" number. According to my 537 manual, which also covers the 535 and 533, the 533 can only record 61 hours at HQ, not 75. Very weird all around...

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #25,731
The 9 generations of Philips/Magnavox HDD DVD recorders are all standard definition 480i.

I don't know where they came up with the "high definition" stuff. I know the picture can fool some non-AVS people... digital channels and their recordings look very good, but they're definitely only SD 480i to start with.

I'm sure you'll hear much more about this here.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Thanks for the verification, Wajo. If anyone here is active on that "Top 10 Reviews" site, you might want to bang on them about this.

I see from your updates to the first page of this thread that Philips now has a couple of HD models--alas, without DVD recorders. I'm fine with my 537. I can usually watch live if I need to see something in HD.

·
Registered
13,215 Posts
There's no such thing as a HD DVD recorder. :p
While true from the standpoint of the DVD-Video format which is strictly 480i, you can burn HDTV content to DVD-R formatted as AVCHD which will play on just about any BD player. These stand-alone units existed for a while to enable easy burning of HD camcorder footage to DVD-R. So one can indeed build an HDTV recorder with a DVD burner for burning HDTV -- but as you say, there is no such thing in the market.

·
Registered
11,493 Posts
-- but as you say, there is no such thing in the market.
Actually if one lived in Europe you could purchase a DVDR that could record HD to either BD or DVD, Panasonic makes a nice unit but it's only way to record HD is from it's tuner which is not compatible with our system, it could do the other way around, record SD to BD but we were talking about HD to DVD which it could do but not HD that we would have access to :(

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Before I got the HD HomeRun Prime and my networked media players I had a QAM HDTV PC tuner and I'd capture my shows on it, then edit down and burn to AVCHD on DVD and play on my bluray player in the front room, worked great.
Also used the 3575 for the SD or non critical stuff I just wanted to watch.
You can get about 45 minutes of full HD and 5.1 sound per disk, more if course if you used a dual layer disk which I did occasionally.
3575 for me is useless and retired with Comcast encrypting everything here for a few years now, never used the antenna.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Conversion to Tablet

I hope this is the right place to post. I currently record on my Mag. 515 HDD, BURN TO A DVD +RW, then use handbrake to convert to a format I use to watch on an android tablet such as MP4.
Can someone provide a better path?:mad:

·
Registered
13,215 Posts
I hope this is the right place to post. I currently record on my Mag. 515 HDD, BURN TO A DVD +RW, then use handbrake to convert to a format I use to watch on an android tablet such as MP4.
Can someone provide a better path?:mad:
Sorry, no better path with a DVD recorder. These machines were made to burn disks, that's all. The only way to get the content off the DVD recorder is to burn it to a DVD-R/W and sneaker-net it to your PC. Not very efficient if your primary purpose is to capture digital content for transfer to other playback devices.

One alternative would be to buy something more modern that records to an unencrypted USB HDD that can be plugged into a PC for fast file transfer. The iView or Homeworx for $40 (without USB HDD) will do that for you. They are a bit crude as far as DVR's go but they are cheap and will get the job done. They will also record in HiDef, but Handbrake will down-rez them for you to fit the device profile of your target tablet -- your tablet probably has better resolution than the SD 480i you would get from a DVD recorder.

·
Registered
11,493 Posts
I was going to say the same thing, if the OP has clear QAM cable then the iView, if OTA a iView or Homeworx should work. As you said they are a bit crude but they do record HD to a USB HDD and it's easily readable by a Windows PC. Note neither has a line input so recording from a STB or something like a DVD player would be a no-go, they can only record from a RF input and DIGITAL at that(not modulated channel 3 or 4 analog).
Of course another option is to record directly to a HTPC, which is what I thought you or other PC centric people might have suggested.

25721 - 25740 of 28050 Posts