AVS Forum banner

8541 - 8560 of 28073 Posts

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8,541 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dare2be /forum/post/18213149

Reading thru these responses I get the impression that a lot of the contention is centered around the interpretation of the statement in the manual: "- duration of the title is more than 5 hours."

To me, that reads that a single title can't be more than 5 hours, not the total of multiple titles.

Good post and observation! Welcome to this thread!

This new discussion of multiple SLP titles and the

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo /forum/post/18209920

This weekend Encore Westerns is running the complete set of Gene Autry TV shows, 91 episodes, with one Gene Autry movie inserted into the Sunday schedule. I’ve set up the same 3576 and 2160A, this time to record 3:30 hour LP blocks that, with front and end cut interstitial editing and title dividing, should allow seven episodes to fit each DVD. From past experience I’ve found that Gene Autry episodes come in at a little short of 27:00 minutes.

Wajo,

After that Friday post I was gone the rest of the day. When I returned home I became so involved with tax return preparation that I didn't reprogram the 3576 and 2160A to record 3:00 hour program blocks instead of 3:30 hour program blocks.

The 3576 took the first recording block, Gene Autry episodes 1-7 from midnight to 3:30 a.m. (PST). The 2160A took the second recording block, episodes 8-14 from 3:30 a.m. to 7:00 a.m.

Upon arising this morning I turned my first attention to the 3576 that was between its recording blocks. I did front/end cut and title dividing of the first recording block. Then I high-speed dubbed and finalized that TY 8x Premium Line DVD-R that had the first seven Autry episodes and one short interstitial thrown in. These are the LP timings, 27:30, 27:33, 27:41, 27:36, 27:34, 27:27, 1:36 (the interstitial), 26:33, with the empty title shown as 6:14.

Then I turned my attention to the 2160A that was still recording its first block. I found that I forgot to throw the RF A/B switch from the TCM feed to the Encore Westerns feed. I missed recording Autry episodes 8-13. The 2160A had recorded the conclusion of The Reivers (1969), then Tom Sawyer (1973) and the first portion of Dick Tracy (1990). I threw the A/B switch to the Encore Westerns feed in time to record Autry episode 14. (Dick Tracy was scheduled and being recorded on a Panasonic on the same feed so throwing the A/B switch cut Autry into the Dick Tracy recording.)

As I type this post the 3576 is recording the third Autry recording block, episodes 15-21, and the 2160A is now between its recording blocks.

Ah, more geezer moments.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello Wajo,

I have been trying to find out which version HDMI my Philips DVDR3576H/37 has. If you do happen to know, I would be very grateful to find out. I want to hook up my DVDR to my TV via the HDMI connection, and I want to buy the correct HDMI cable. If the HDMI version in my DVDR is lower than 1.3, I do not need to buy the more expensive cable that is compatible with the 1.3 version HDMI.

If you do happen to have this information, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8,544 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECam43 /forum/post/18217663

Hello Wajo,

I have been trying to find out which version HDMI my Philips DVDR3576H/37 has. If you do happen to know, I would be very grateful to find out. I want to hook up my DVDR to my TV via the HDMI connection, and I want to buy the correct HDMI cable. If the HDMI version in my DVDR is lower than 1.3, I do not need to buy the more expensive cable that is compatible with the 1.3 version HDMI.

I don't think you'll need the more-expensive cable... I haven't found any U.S. source for the 3575's HDMI version but there seem to be many foreign sources that mention HDMI 1.1... even tho I can't read them, those mentions are in the listing of inputs/outputs.

YMMV!

·
Registered
479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECam43 /forum/post/18217663

Hello Wajo,

Buy from Monoprice, a lot of us do. You won't regret it! With this price, buy the latest format to ensure compatibility with all previous HDMI standards.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have been building a spreadsheet over the last few days to calculate the HSD dubbing capability in SLP so I could run proof of concept tests without having to hunt and peck. The sizes are in increments of 15 seconds, and the column with MBs are tested configurations. The results are consistent enough that I can't be bothered doing more.

Based on these and Wajo's results my hypothesis has graduated to a theory which can anticipate the probability of a successful HSD.

- The largest achievable HSD SLP with >1 unedited title is >5:40:30 and 1 unedited title in any other mode is up to one minute less than that of a single title

Code:
Code:
+----------------------------------+
 |     HSD limits to record SLP     |
 |#Dubs|Individual|   Total  |  MBs |
 +-----+----------+----------+------+
 |   2 |  2:50:15 |  5:40:30 | 4109 |
 |   3 |  1:53:30 |  5:40:30 | 4096 |
 |   4 |  1:25:00 |  5:40:00 | 4089 |
 |   5 |  1:08:00 |  5:40:00 | 4080 |
 |   6 |  0:56:45 |  5:40:30 | 4192 |
 |   7 |  0:48:30 |  5:39:30 | 4055 |
 |   8 |  0:42:30 |  5:40:00 |      |
 |   9 |  0:37:45 |  5:39:45 |      |
 |  10 |  0:34:00 |  5:40:00 |      |
 |  11 |  0:30:45 |  5:38:15 |      |
 |  12 |  0:28:15 |  5:39:00 |      |
 |  13 |  0:26:00 |  5:38:00 |      |
 |  14 |  0:24:15 |  5:39:30 |      |
 |  15 |  0:22:30 |  5:37:30 |      |
 |  16 |  0:21:15 |  5:40:00 |      |
 |  17 |  0:20:00 |  5:40:00 |      |
 |  18 |  0:18:45 |  5:37:30 |      |
 +-----+----------+----------+------+
You can HSD:

If

- you add 2 minutes to the length of every edited title
and

- stay under 5:40:30 for SLP
or

- within 1 minute of the single title limit for other modes.

All bets are off if you mix modes because I believe the recorder's algorithm that calculates whether to HSD or not, has idiosyncrasies which results in anomalies that cannot be explained e.g. a short ELP title can improve the ability to record SLP titles beyond the SLP-only titles limit. There may be sound technical reasons for these idiosyncrasies or they could be a bug.

*The 1:00 title resulted from end-cutting an 11:00-minute SLP title in 1-minute increments until HSD was allowed... 10 separate end-cuts when I was within 1-minute all along w/titles 1 and 2!

Had I published this earlier it would have saved you a few end cuts.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I was also doing an HSD experiment today and created a problem for myself. Not a big one, just a wasted DVD+R and some serious head-scratching.

I've been archiving old stuff from VHS to my 2160 by RTD from my Lite-On unit via L1 input to HDD, then cleaning up the titles for subsequent HSD to DVD. I had three titles queued, totaling 5:35:00 +/- for which the 2160 balked. After removing one of the titles from the dubbing queue, the HSD worked for the remaining two titles. I use SLP for everything, it this affects the equation.

Once the HSD completed successfully with the first 2 titles, I tried again with the 3rd title which was 1:52.00 and still couldn't HSD though the system showed 2:34:00 was available on the DVD's empty title. I had to run some errands anyway this afternoon, so I set the 3rd title for RTD before leaving.

Bottom line: Once the RTD of the 3rd title completed, I tried to finalize and the option was grayed out! All the titles were there OK, but the "empty title" showed only 00:00:45 available space. I'm going out on a limb here, but it looks as though if there's not enough room for the finalization data, then it can't be finalized.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8,548 ·
Finalize greyed out... less than 1-hr to next timer rec program?

Even if you had Overwritten then deleted the Empty Title, COMPLETELY filling it, Finalize should still be possible.

If you've got a -R, try that as you're set right now to compare... there's a slight diff. in sectors, etc. between +R and -R... with NO timer rec programs within 1-hr.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Outside possibility.

- Do a short record of 10 secs.

- Check CD Edit

- Finalize may be allowed

- Delete 10 second recording

- Finalize may be allowed

I only use -R, and had this happen a couple of times last year. It worked once, the other became a coaster.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks to the compatibility between our DVDRs,
I was able to finalize the DVD+R in my trusty 3575. There was no timer recording scheduled within an hour at the time of the failure, so I'm still not certain what caused it.

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Is it a good idea or recommended to use a 2nd unit like a BD 605 player to play my rental and owned DVD's and Use the 2160 to view recordings from tv

Also what type and brand DVD disc should I use to record on -R or +R

I guess I do not have to say this is new to me

Thanks

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8,552 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdiver /forum/post/18232787

Is it a good idea or recommended to use a 2nd unit like a BD 605 player to play my rental and owned DVD's and Use the 2160 to view recordings from tv

Also what type and brand DVD disc should I use to record on -R or +R

I guess I do not have to say this is new to me

If you've got space and $$$ for a separate player, by all means use it. However, see this note on DVD drive longevity and using the Mag as your player also.

Heres' a help file on choosing and using DVDs.

·
Registered
646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdiver /forum/post/18232787

...Also what type and brand DVD disc should I use to record on -R or +R...

Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure if you saw my post in the "Media Deals" section, but these come highly recommended by all:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownGuy /forum/post/18221769

...Outstanding* DVD-R's at a great price:

http://www.supermediastore.com/produ...&utm_source=cj

Keep in mind, this sale ends 3/3/10. You will not find a better disc for 25 cents.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Verbatim discs are consistently the best on the market. Office Max (and other suppliers) often put Verbatim discs on sale for $19.99 (or less) for a spindle of 100. Verbatim discs are also specifically recommended for use with the Magnavox 2160. Taiyo Yuden discs are considered a close second in quality to Verbatim.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi,

I recently picked up a 100 pack of the Verbatim +R at Office Max for $for 19.99. Made in Taiwan. Reg price = $59.99 [don't know how many they sell at that price!!!]

I read the link Wajo gave above on DVD's -- great!

Here is another link to info on media brands & quality & many topics that may be of interest to people on this thread. It lists 1st class, 2nd class, & 3rd class media.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

It has links to where to buy it cheaply. For example, here is Verbatim +R for $23.99 [ship free on orders over $25].

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0009YJXMS

It is a wealth of information [for the beginners in this area] for anything related to DVD players & how to use them. Take a look at the links on the left hand side of the page. Topics on: Video Basics, Capture/Record, Restoring Quality, Edit/Encode/Convert, Author/Burn/Store, Reviews[Buyer Guides].

That is where I first found out about the 2160.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-recorders.htm

Wajo, I have a question re marking CD's. In reading your link above, you seem to imply that maybe I should not be using Sharpie Pens to label my CD's. Is that the case??

Regards,

Jerry

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8,557 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JER01 /forum/post/18241161

Wajo, I have a question re marking CD's. In reading your link above, you seem to imply that maybe I should not be using Sharpie Pens to label my CD's. Is that the case??

Sharpie pens (alcohol-based) are OK for DVDs but I wouldn't use them on CDs. DVDs have a polycarbonate disc on top and bottom with the media in between, and tests have proved that alcohol does not damage polycarbonate . CDs don't have that poly on top.

People can also use the Crayola water-based marrkers if concerned or skeptical. Walmart and other stores sell these in the disc area.

I use white-topped (inkjet-printable) and mark with a Sharpie when lazy or print in my new HP C309a inkjet printer. They make "hub-printable" versions which have the white coating over the hub and out to near the inner hole.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thanks Wajo,

I guess I am going to pick up some Crayola Markers to mark my CD's - just to be safe. I put together a great great great 50's collection in Dec & Jan. 8 CD's -- 30 songs per CD -- just the ones I like -- Better than Time Life. Took a looooooooooong time to complete. I haven't noticed any problems - YET - with the Sharpie markings on my discs or the discs I put together for my 2 sisters.

By the way, I am still patiently waiting for J&R to get in a "batch" of 2160 refurbs. I missed the few one-zies they offered a couple weeks ago. I am checking the J&R website every AM [usually]. Don't know what I will do with my 100 Verbatim +R's if I don't get a 2160.

Jerry

·
Registered
39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownGuy /forum/post/18233664

Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure if you saw my post in the "Media Deals" section, but these come highly recommended by all:

Keep in mind, this sale ends 3/3/10. You will not find a better disc for 25 cents.

Thanks for the Welcome and Thanks, I took advantage of the sale DSL has been down cause of the rainy weather here on the Pacific coast

Thanks also to Wajo for all the GREAT information that I have been a read'n

8541 - 8560 of 28073 Posts