AVS Forum banner

10181 - 10200 of 28073 Posts

·
Registered
8,825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosmily /forum/post/18962733

No luck. Tried (DTV) (1)Disconnect coax (2)auto-program (3)Connect coax (4)add 86 - nothing. I still get a gray screen.

Same with 85.

There is more than one way to send a cable signal. Try to Google "cable" and "IRC". I have found that I get a blank gray screen when there is no digital signal on the channel I have selected. I would get one on 12.1, since it is not an active DTV channel. If you select a DTV channel that is not able to be decoded for whatever reason, then you get the "Scramble" condition. Your cable company seems to sending out a signal that your Sony can handle but the DVDR can not. On my Sony 32EX700, NBC HD is 84.1401 and on my 2160 it is "84. 1" (space added to be exact). Every cable feed is unique. Sorry I couldn't help more.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I bought the 2-year extended service plan from Walmart last year when I purchased the 2160A. Does anybody know if this lets me return my 2160A and replace it with the newer MDR513H/F7 now?

Thanks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
ok looking for the thread about replacement universal remotes for the Mag 2160..

i need to consolidate the 4 or 5 remotes into at least 2.. TV, DVDR, DVR, Cable Box..

i remember some being chatted about on some thread.. and..

well any ideas.. suggestions..

help?

·
Registered
226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzo /forum/post/18968249

ok looking for the thread about replacement universal remotes for the Mag 2160..

i need to consolidate the 4 or 5 remotes into at least 2.. TV, DVDR, DVR, Cable Box..

help?

I'm using a cheap Sony RM-VL600 that I bought at Target for under $30 to control my 2160 and TV. It works flawlessly. There are buttons for Cable, SAT, DVD, TV. I am using the VCR function for the 2160. It is a great learning remote and you can program macros. The unit is a couple of years old so they might have a new version out now. Try this site for reviews and recommendations. http://www.remotecentral.com/ They list a Sony RM-VLZ620 that shows good reviews on Amazon.

·
Registered
479 Posts

Quote:

help?

Always take a peek at the first page for any question regarding these DVDRs
This is under section 1.f

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=9965

·
Registered
3,721 Posts

Quote:

help?

There's a Philips universal remote sold at Walmart-actually, it's two in one package. I've wondered how they'd work with the Mag. You might want to check'm out.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I just noticed the 2160 listing on walmart.com now says "Not Available at this time" and wanted to give everyone a heads up if this hasn't been discussed already.

It looks like the MDR-513H (320GB) will be the standard for people looking for new (not refurbished) DVD recorders. This isn't surprising, really, when you consider how scarce 160GB hard drives are today.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm thinking about purchasing this machine & wondered if any one has bought one and used it yet.

One of my questions is... on my current machine which is a panasonic, we can hit a button and look to see what is on & what comes on next. Does this machine have that option?

Also, does it have volume control on the remote?

Thanks for the help!!!!

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
^Don't have the mdr513, but on the 2160, there is program data that appears if you're use an over the air antenna, it displays the current show, and I believe either the following program, or description of the show. I'm on cable, and the 2160 doesn't pick up the program data for the local hd tv stations (at least, in my area).

Funny, my Panasonic ez47 & 48 would display program titles and next info during the last 2 Olympics, but never during any other programming. And it would auto title it (recordings made of Olympics coverage) in the Direct Navigator.

I wish you could get that info all the time, on both recorders, regardless of cable or antenna usage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello again--you may remember me from late June with problems with a 2160 that wouldn't tune cable channels or even play a DVD. I got a replacement 2160 from Planet 73 and had a few days of very good operations with the recorder.

But this latest one, after being unplugged, won't power on again. I tried the shutoff/reset solutions on the help page...and various AC outlets...to no avail.

This unit is the third of three with major problems. Not a confidence-builder in the technology.

But perhaps I can do something really simple to save this last try. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I solved the no-power-on problem by waiting an hour or so. Something about the power circuit needs zero input for a period of time to reset, as noted in the help pages. But it's more than the 5 minutes indicated there. Luckily I didn't have any pending recording sessions!

Cheers to all, and to all a good night.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts

Quote:
Hi, I'm thinking about purchasing this machine & wondered if any one has bought one and used it yet.

One of my questions is... on my current machine which is a panasonic, we can hit a button and look to see what is on & what comes on next. Does this machine have that option?

Also, does it have volume control on the remote?

Thanks for the help!!!!

I have the 513. It will show the current program info but it won't tell you what's on next like my Panasonic EZ48 does. The program information display works on cable if your cable company provides the data. If your Panasonic can display the current program information the 513 should be able to as well.

There are no volume controls or other buttons that control other devices on the remote. Some people choose to use a Universal Remote to control more than one device.

I downloaded the MDR513H/F7 owner's manual here and read it for a few days before deciding to order. By the time it got to my door I already knew how to work most of the functions.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,195

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujijin /forum/post/18984940

I solved the no-power-on problem by waiting an hour or so. Something about the power circuit needs zero input for a period of time to reset, as noted in the help pages. But it's more than the 5 minutes indicated there. Luckily I didn't have any pending recording sessions!

Cheers to all, and to all a good night.

The odds of getting three bad-power AND bad-tuner units in a row, from diff. suppliers no less, are phenomenally astounding, so I suspect there's a setup problem or something we're missing here, like:
  1. Power plug plugged into power strip and using that to turn unit on and off.
  2. Coax running thru surge protector before connection to unit.
  3. No analog channels at all in cable feed (assuming you DO have cable) and digital signal too strong so those channels "fall off the cliff."
  4. Same as #3 except digital signal is too weak.
  5. Incoming coax NOT connected FIRST to the unit on TOP coax connector, then coax out to the TV from bottom coax connector.
  6. NOT doing an Auto Channel Preset > Cable (Analog/Digital), again assuming you do have cable, with the unit 1st on the incoming coax.
  7. NOT having done one of the hard resets (#3 or #4 here) to clear memory/OS problems (#3) and/or HDD problems (#4).
  8. Probably a few other things I/we can't think of at the moment... things we might not even consider cuz they're either so simple they must be "obvious" or so "exotic" that we haven't thought of them yet.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F /forum/post/18985257

I downloaded the MDR513H/F7 owner's manual here and read it for a few days before deciding to order. By the time it got to my door I already knew how to work most of the functions.

There's MUCH MORE info in the MAIN Sticky thread for the 513 here than the Funai manual, including things the manual has wrong or omitted or misleading!

Questions or comments on the 513 should be posted in that MAIN 513 thread so all users and readers can benefit from them. The Siicky thread will always be where it is, while normal threads like this will move down and out of sight and out of mind soon.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,199

7/31/10 - MY SIGNIFICANT CHANGE IN CABLE CHANNEL TUNING

My cableco just made a single digital channel change in my Basic Cable lineup, moving digital channel 78.1 to 77.2. I discovered this ONLY by noticing my old 78-300 missing on my HDTV and doing an auto-scan in it to see if the cableco had moved it somewhere else. The TV scan did re-tune that station but it was now on 77-300 (RF77-2).

Special note: As yet, unexplained, the channel ID I saw on my VIZIO HDTV FIRST was 77-300 (RF77-2), but later, after the procedure described below, the RF number disappeared! So, pay close attention to the channel numbers as you FIRST see them on your HDTV.

So, I had to go into each of my PhilMag DVDRs to make the tuning and timer changes that entailed. I used the Manual Channel Preset menu to enter major digital 77, the main RF channel number, expecting it to pick up 77.2, the RF subchannel number shown in the HDTV display.

In the process, I discovered that both my original 2160 and 3575 acted much differently than before in digital channel tuning: they no longer immediately picked up all tunable subchannels after Adding the new major channel # in the Manual Channel Preset menu.

After I Deleted the old digital 78 and Added 77 in the Manual Channel Preset menu, the CH+/- button just surfed to 77.1 subchannel and showed "Scrambled" then went on to 79.1. It didn't show the new 77.2. WTH!?

So, I direct-entered 77.2 on the DVDR and it tuned that new channel. Then, surprisingly, the CH+/- button WOULD surf to 77.2 in normal sequence, except this time I saw it bounce from 77.1 to 77.2. Apparently, this "taught" the tuner that only 77.2 was tunable, not 77.1, since, on next surf thru, it didn't bounce or even SHOW the previous Scrambled 77.1. WTH AGAIN... normally it takes an Auto Channel Preset to clear out the "Scrambled" channels!?

I also noticed my 2160 didn't have another new channel, 66.4, so I again added digital 66 in my Manual Preset menu, and it did the same thing... could NOT surf to 66.4 until I direct-entered 66.4 in the DVDR, then surfed again... and, again, the same story: the previous Scrambled 66.1 was gone! WTH AGAIN AGAIN!?

AND, there's more... when I entered all channels directly and went to surf, I lost digital tuning altogether at first, seeing only the typical blue screen. I had to toggle to analog and back to digital tuner to get digital tuning back. It seemed to lose tuning when I got to the newly changed channels, but it became OK again after toggling after each tuning loss. SO... the tuner might also be learning the rest of the cableco game and getting reoriented to the new channel layout? #$%@!

I'm beginning to think this digital cable channel tuning thing is like a relational database with a bunch of "IF" functions!

I believe the cablecos are still playing "hide-the-channel" games that force us into their nether world of evil and engage in mortal combat until we drive them out of our home TV kingdom and take Prince Chizeledabs or Princess Hoochiemamma for our lifelong partner and watch TV again in peace on our newly installed antenna!

So, if you're on cable and have digital channels your HDTV can tune but your PhilMag units can't, I recommend these steps before trying any other Tuning procedure:

1. Find and write down the cable and RF channel numbers your HDTV tunes, like my 77-300 (RF77-2).

The RF number can be the same or diff. and it makes a diff. in procedure, so make sure you note the "RF" channel number in your HDTV's display upon first tuning a digital channel cuz that may change on later surfing thru that channel!

2. Open the Channel > Manual Channel Preset menu.

If the main channel numbers (TV and RF) seen in Step 1 above are the same, enter that main channel number on the keypad and, when allowed (takes a few sec for tuning), press arrow then OK keys to put checkmark in the "Add" box. Then press Back/Return repeatedly to get out of menus and back on live TV. Surf thru the just-added channel(s) and see if they're tunable.

If not tunable and the RF number was different, use same Manual Preset procedure and enter THAT number, back out of menus and surf to see results.

3. If no joy, direct enter the RF channel plus subchannel numbers in sequence (77.1, 77.2, 77.3 to at least 77.10) until you see a tunable channel.

This is a last-gasp effort to "teach" the tuner that a tunable channel is there (hopefully).

4. If no joy again, check your list of channel numbers and see if any indicate a duplicate analog/digital or digital/digital channel.

Examples are ABC on analog 6 AND on DTV 75, or two DTV duplicates like DTV 3 (CH 3) and DTV 3 (CH 72). Those indicate a possible tuning interference that prevents either from being tuned with CH+/- surfing. The remedy for that is described here.

5. If you lose digital tuning altogether while surfing your new channel lineup, press and hold the DTV/TV button to toggle to the analog tuner and back to the digital tuner, which should restore digital channel tuning.

If your tuner acts like mine, it should automatically add that channel to button memory, and maybe even delete Scrambled subchannels, as mine did.

I have yet to do an Auto Channel Preset to see if that does its usual job of "cleaning up" the channel memory for CH+/- button surfing.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My 2160 died last week, all CPR and defibrillator recommendations of Dr. Wajo failed to revive my 18 months unit.

Lucky me, I did buy a 24 months Walmart warranty and let us see how it pans out. I talked them and they stated they will attempt to repair it. Any one has gone thru Wal-Mart warranty process?

10181 - 10200 of 28073 Posts